Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 562 times

Advertisements

I am looking at moving out of Colorado moving to maybe Bangor. What I am wondering is what is really is like living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:29 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsoccerteam View Post
I am looking at moving out of Colorado moving to maybe Bangor. What I am wondering is what is really is like living there?
We are considering the same move in a few years. Getting sick of the endless growth, highway expansion, parking lots, strip malls and crowds. Amazed at the affordable price of acreage there compared to Colorado, where one needs a minimum of 35 acres to be able to use water on his own land per state water conservation policies.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:22 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
We love it. That said, Maine is like Burlington, Vermont and Point Judith, Rhode island. You see, Maine is as big as the other five New England states combined. Burlington, Vermont is further south than most of Maine. One thing is for sure; Maine is not plagued with "endless growth". There is still some private land remaining in Northern Maine. You can get on an ATV and ride 100 miles to the ocean - legally. There is no other state where you can do that; not even Alaska, due to the vast amount of government land in Alaska.

They sell Maine spring water for over a dollar a pint down in the cities. Here, it runs out of the ground. Many towns have town springs where people come to fill 5 gallon jugs of delicious spring water to bring back to their city homes where water is chlorinated and has other chemicals added.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 05-21-2019 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-21-2019, 11:31 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsoccerteam View Post
Bangor is not bad.

It has a downtown section with older housing and some homeless people.

It has a couple of hospitals [St. Joseph, EMMC] and universities [Husson University, New England School of Communications, Eastern Maine Community College, University of Maine-Orono is nearby]

It serves as the economic and healthcare 'hub' for roughly 2/3s of the state.

If you started in Canada and headed South, Bangor is the first city that you would come to. Just North of Bangor, on I-95 in the Southbound lane, is where the Border Patrol sometimes sets up roadblocks looking for drug-mules hauling drugs from Canada going down to Boston.

Bangor was once home to a HUGE Air Force base called 'DOW'. It was closed decades ago, but it left in its wake a massive over-sized airport [currently used as an 'international' airport] and a lot of old government housing.

It has a shopping mall with a standard assortment of big box stores. Bangor has a large assortment of new car dealerships.

I personally do not like cities, I live 20 minutes North of Bangor, but I do not mind going into Bangor for all that it offers.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
"Bangor has a large assortment of new car dealerships."

Bangor has the northernmost Volvo dealer in Maine. It primarily serves the faculty in the area colleges. When Volvo drivers venture further north than Orono they bunch up convoys.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,370 times
That’s funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine