Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,661,437 times

Advertisements

Good luck and have a safe trip! (I'm extremely jealous as I'm typing this. Hope it doesn't show! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,627,496 times
May the wind be at your back, all the hills downhill slopes, all the drivers courteous and your arrival swift and safe.

So be it.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 AM

107 posts, read 225,383 times
Default Trip Day 1

I drove just over 7 hours yesterday and arrived in Hot Springs, AR last night. Originally I was supposed to make it to Little Rock, AR but I decided to take a slight detour and see Hot Springs. As I was driving down the road there were a bunch of hotel billboards so I called one of the numbers for one that looked like it would be cool and got a room. The young guy on the phone assurred me that this was a nice hotel and stated in fact that the owner had just done over 3.5 million in renovations. The lobby was ok but by the time I got to the 7th floor I was walking right into "The Shining"!! That 3.5 million must have been in pesos or pennies because it sure wasn't dollars!! The linoleum floor was peeling and the light was flickering and the chair in the hallway was overturned and wouldn't you know that of course no sooner than I decide to go down and across the street to a bar for a beer the elevator won't work. I did mention 7th floor, right? It got better from there and I had a drink and came back and got some rest. My plan is to explore a bit today and then hit the road again for another 400 or so miles :-)

Reporting live from Arkansas!

Stacie

Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,552,077 times
Stop in New Hampshire and visit the Mr Washington area.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,043,489 times
I'm so glad you had WIFI! I'm looking forward to your posts Stacie and thinking of you!!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:25 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,367,859 times
Stacie, I've been sitting here with my suitcases all packed up by the front door.....did you forget something?

Hey, just stay away from the hotel owned by sons and their mothers!

Take in ALL the views (even the bad ones) and take lots of pics!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 PM

263 posts, read 613,891 times
Hey Stacie,

Are you going to be able to stop in Memphis? I could show you the sites.
Great Memphis Barbecue too.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 PM

107 posts, read 225,383 times
Default Day 2

I'm already tired of driving!

I didn't make it quite as far as planned today. I'm about 100 miles or so left to go before Nashville and will try to make up a bit of time tomorrow. I seem to be catching a cold though and needed to rest although I haven't been able to do it yet! I have a tinge of motion sickness and I still feel like I am driving! I had to drive across that big bridge into Memphis and cross the Mississippi and that is my brave feat for the day. I am TERRIFIED of BIG bridges. I had a severe panic attack on the Sunshine Skyway between Tampa and Bradenton, FL once and now I get freaked out just thinking about it. Hopefully no more BIG ones on this trip. I can handle LONG ones, just not TALL ones. I did it though and have the tiny scars to prove it where I was biting my lip the whole time~at least I kept my eyes open :-) More tomorrow if this isn't too off-topic and ya'll want to keep hearing it!

Reporting live from Tennessee~

Stacie

Old 04-17-2008, 11:10 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,573,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlcu View Post
if time and weather allow I would love to make it up to Bydand's area as well and see the far north part of the state. Somebody freeze me a snowball!!!!!!!

Stacie
There will most likely still be snow on the ground by the time you get up that way...have a good trip!

Old 04-18-2008, 05:14 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,431,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlcu View Post
I'm already tired of driving!

I didn't make it quite as far as planned today. I'm about 100 miles or so left to go before Nashville and will try to make up a bit of time tomorrow. I seem to be catching a cold though and needed to rest although I haven't been able to do it yet! I have a tinge of motion sickness and I still feel like I am driving! I had to drive across that big bridge into Memphis and cross the Mississippi and that is my brave feat for the day. I am TERRIFIED of BIG bridges. I had a severe panic attack on the Sunshine Skyway between Tampa and Bradenton, FL once and now I get freaked out just thinking about it. Hopefully no more BIG ones on this trip. I can handle LONG ones, just not TALL ones. I did it though and have the tiny scars to prove it where I was biting my lip the whole time~at least I kept my eyes open :-) More tomorrow if this isn't too off-topic and ya'll want to keep hearing it!

Reporting live from Tennessee~

Stacie
Hi Stacie,
I relate to the tall bridges thing. While they don't terrify me, sometimes the Deer Isle bridge used to give me the willies when I could feel it start to sway a little. She's a tall one, in my opinion!
Safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine