Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:02 AM

15 posts, read 12,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
All kinds of breweries to check out in Portland, if that's your thing.

Pretty limited on sandy beaches in between Portland and Bar Harbor. Two nice ones that come to mind are Popham and Pemaquid. Expect cold water, especially this early in the season.

Yes, Popham is absolutely beautiful and there is usually plenty of parking but cold is an understatement for the water temp this time of year. Think of the coldest thing you've ever felt and then get ready for the water to be twice as cold as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 08:20 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Don't miss Acadia. While you're in that area, whale sighting ships leave from Bar Harbor....

Old 06-03-2019, 08:34 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATJ20 View Post
Yes, Popham is absolutely beautiful and there is usually plenty of parking but cold is an understatement for the water temp this time of year. Think of the coldest thing you've ever felt and then get ready for the water to be twice as cold as that.
We go to Pemaquid. The blackboard on the building entrance has the water temp written on it every day. Late July, early August - 54 degrees. It is refreshing to say the least. Beach itself is beautiful. Whole area is.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm from the Appalachian part of Tennessee. I haven't thought about western ME - not opposed to it, but I have a lot of similar stuff at home.
The western mountains of Maine are quite a bit different than Appalachian TN. Maine has more Northwoods tree types and more naturally occurring lakes. The Rangeley Lakes Region is also great to explore as well.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:37 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
We go to Pemaquid. The blackboard on the building entrance has the water temp written on it every day. Late July, early August - 54 degrees. It is refreshing to say the least. Beach itself is beautiful. Whole area is.
54 degrees, are you sure??? Maybe 64...

Old 06-03-2019, 10:39 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The western mountains of Maine are quite a bit different than Appalachian TN. Maine has more Northwoods tree types and more naturally occurring lakes. The Rangeley Lakes Region is also great to explore as well.
If you want something even more different maybe check out Mt. Katahdin/Baxter State Park. I believe there is still snow up in the higher elevations though.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:44 AM

319 posts, read 346,178 times
Popham Beach, Boothbay Harbor

Old 06-03-2019, 11:29 AM

746 posts, read 837,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

That area is a paradise. Especially Mooselookmeguntic Lake

Old 06-03-2019, 12:08 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Flying into Portland next Friday night. Looks like the Old Port festival is Saturday. I’ll probably do that and a Sea Dogs game. Thinking of maybe spending Sunday in Portland area too for brews and baseball. I went to Ogunquit several years ago and loved it, and plan on going back. Acadia and Bar Harbor on agenda.

Interested in beer, hiking, swimming, kayaking, and beach. Any other recommendations?

Ignore shorthand - on iPad.
What types of beer are you into? Bissell gets a lot of the hype in Portland for their IPAs, and they're definitely very good and worth stop for a beer or two. Personally, I prefer Definitive for that style and Foundation and Austin Street right next door are excellent too. Lone Pine and Goodfire are worth the stop if you're on the Peninsula. If you like more of the farmhouse and funky styles, Allagash is legendary for good reason (and right across the street from Definitive, Austin Street, Foundation, etc.). But one of my favorite beer stops in Maine is Oxbow in Newcastle (Mid Coast) - excellent farmhouse ales and saisons with some really interesting (often local) ingredients. Oxbow has a Portland outpost and an Oxford outpost, but there's usually a better selection at their base in Newcastle and the farm location is perfect.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:16 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
What types of beer are you into? Bissell gets a lot of the hype in Portland for their IPAs, and they're definitely very good and worth stop for a beer or two. Personally, I prefer Definitive for that style and Foundation and Austin Street right next door are excellent too. Lone Pine and Goodfire are worth the stop if you're on the Peninsula. If you like more of the farmhouse and funky styles, Allagash is legendary for good reason (and right across the street from Definitive, Austin Street, Foundation, etc.). But one of my favorite beer stops in Maine is Oxbow in Newcastle (Mid Coast) - excellent farmhouse ales and saisons with some really interesting (often local) ingredients. Oxbow has a Portland outpost and an Oxford outpost, but there's usually a better selection at their base in Newcastle and the farm location is perfect.
I can get Allagash White and Tripel, but they are definitely on my list of places to go. I live near Virginia, and the Virginia Kroger gets a lot of beers from New England for whatever reason.

That Oxbow choice sounds very interesting. I might check out whatever is nearby in Portland.

I was planning on knocking around Portland Saturday and going to Ogunquit Sunday. I really liked Ogunquit when I was there five years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Don't miss Acadia. While you're in that area, whale sighting ships leave from Bar Harbor....
Acadia was also the other must stop. So far, this is what I'm kind of looking at. US-1 up from Portland to Bar/Harbor Acadia. I like visiting different colleges, so may swing by Bangor/Orono for the university. The Debsconeag Lakes Wilderness Area and Moosehead are also likely on the agenda.

Would there be much to see on US-1 going past Bar Harbor toward Eastport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine