Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 06:24 PM

34,814 posts, read 30,867,528 times

Advertisements

Flying into Portland next Friday night. Looks like the Old Port festival is Saturday. I’ll probably do that and a Sea Dogs game. Thinking of maybe spending Sunday in Portland area too for brews and baseball. I went to Ogunquit several years ago and loved it, and plan on going back. Acadia and Bar Harbor on agenda.

Interested in beer, hiking, swimming, kayaking, and beach. Any other recommendations?

Ignore shorthand - on iPad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 08:14 PM

11,905 posts, read 8,990,771 times
I'd spend at least one night in Camden and Rockport... check out both harbors, leave a block of time and some energy to hike to the top of Ocean Overlook in Camden Hills State Park one day, and the next day, walk in the Fernald's Neck Preserve, if you're feeling up to it, go for a swim in clear Megunticook Lake there... plenty of good places to eat and have a drink... PM me if you want specific suggestions.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:26 AM

56 posts, read 47,887 times
Camden is wonderful - that was my first thought.

Have you considered Western Maine? The Forks area has mountains, lakes for swimming, hiking/ trails, rivers, waterfalls, and rafting. Check out Moxie Falls. do a rafting trip - they include a dinner, lobster bake/ cookout. Look for moose - they are all over that area. It’s rural and sort of isolated, in a peaceful way. A few towns up and you’ll be in Canada. Western Maine would be a nice change from the busier, coastal (touristy) towns.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:44 AM

334 posts, read 424,895 times
Don't overlook the Owl's Head Transportation Museum just South of Rockland and, when in Acadia, I can not more heartily recommend the Seal Cove Auto Museum. It is one of the preeminent antique car museums anywhere with #1 Stanley Steamer (Jay Leno is drooling over it).
Neither one of these is your old, typical stodgy museum. They are incredibly innovative. Great for a rainy day.

Owls Head Transportation Museum | Owls Head Transportation Museum

https://www.sealcoveautomuseum.org/

Old 06-01-2019, 11:26 AM

7,045 posts, read 8,859,226 times
If you are driving then you should take US 1 up the coast instead of I-95, there is a lot of good coastal scenery the whole way up, it will take longer but well worth the extra time.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:14 AM

738 posts, read 821,573 times
In Maine you simply get out your Delorme atlas and start exploring

Old 06-02-2019, 09:02 PM

34,814 posts, read 30,867,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britt_brt View Post
Camden is wonderful - that was my first thought.

Have you considered Western Maine? The Forks area has mountains, lakes for swimming, hiking/ trails, rivers, waterfalls, and rafting. Check out Moxie Falls. do a rafting trip - they include a dinner, lobster bake/ cookout. Look for moose - they are all over that area. It’s rural and sort of isolated, in a peaceful way. A few towns up and you’ll be in Canada. Western Maine would be a nice change from the busier, coastal (touristy) towns.
I'm from the Appalachian part of Tennessee. I haven't thought about western ME - not opposed to it, but I have a lot of similar stuff at home.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:13 PM

23,067 posts, read 18,206,847 times
All kinds of breweries to check out in Portland, if that's your thing.

Pretty limited on sandy beaches in between Portland and Bar Harbor. Two nice ones that come to mind are Popham and Pemaquid. Expect cold water, especially this early in the season.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:36 AM

11,905 posts, read 8,990,771 times
For swimming, you're best off going in a pond or a lake, the ocean never really gets comfortable to swim in - even on Labor Day it's pretty chilly, and in June, it's straight up frigid. Around Camden I'd suggest Megunticook Lake - either on the public beach at Barrett's cove, or off some of the rocks in Fernald's Neck on your walk (probably the prettiest)... or Hosmer Pond (near Camden Snowbowl), or Chickawaukie Pond on the near side of Rockland. Even these lakes will be "refreshing" this time of year ... it's only June 3rd and the ice probably just melted out in late April, by the way.

People do swim in Camden Harbor at Laite Beach, and in Rockport Harbor right behind the Harbormaster's building is a little beach... I'd think it would be too darned cold in June tho.

The ocean waterfront and harbors, sandy or rocky, are still beautiful to walk along though, and on a hot day, you might wade up to your knees or thighs comfortably, or just take a quick plunge.

P.S. You can rent a bicycle, canoe or kayak at Maine Sport in Rockport (great shop!), and they also run group trips.
https://mainesport.com/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 06-03-2019 at 05:49 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 07:59 AM

15 posts, read 12,276 times
If you're interested in maritime history/culture the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath is a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine