Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:06 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeDante View Post
I have lived in a rural California town for all my life. I am thinking of leaving after I graduate because I hate it here for these reasons:

1. Air is arid, polluted, and dry
2. no rain, no snow, lowest temp i've seen here is 20 above 0.
3. Job market, sucks frankly.
4. Cost of living doesn't equal the rate of pay
5. I just need a change

Ok, I have more but these will do, my questions:

1. My degree will be in English with a minor in Journalism, any prospects for jobs in Maine for this kind of education?

2. Living costs, how much would you say someone would have to make to pay the rent? I am basically coming with the clothes on my back and a few thousand in the bank.

3. I am cool with cold weather. I actually prefer it. However, is there any dangerous weather? Hurricanes, snowstorms, tornados?

4. Are the people nice?

5. Are there any video game companies nearby, I was thinking about being a tester.

Any other advice would help me a lot! Thank you in advance.
1--I know that Channel 6 (the local NBC affiliate) is hiring, so is PBS. Positions will probably be filled by the time you get here, but it won't hurt to send them your resume.

English degrees are pretty flexible in that they could be applied to most professional positions that do not require a specific degree such as business. Other then that, I dunno, you can try one of the banks. There really isn't much industry here and most of it revolves around medical, education, tourism, retail and service. People generally do not move here for the employment opportunities. Oddly, though, there are probably more job opportunities here then there are in Bakersfield. And, at least this place does not smell like a factory farm.

2--Like any other state, it depends on where you live--and then what part of town. Here in Portland you should expect to need around $27,000 a year if you live by yourself. You could probably do it for less, but this state is not really known for efficiencies and cheeffenciesaper rent--like most cities--is usually in the crappy parts of town.

Rent is way cheaper the more rural you get, but good luck finding a job or other means of legal income.

3--You get Nor'easters out here. Not as deadly as a hurricane, but can still be pretty brutal--and awesome! There are blizzards sometimes, but the most dangerous thing is probably driving too fast on icy/snowy roads or getting caught out in the snow unprepared (stranded).

4--Yes.....and no. Generally, someone will say hello or inquire about how I was doing and I get the feeling that they genuinely mean it, but you also get a lot of scowled looks and I noticed that a lot of Mainers don't smile too often but usually have a rather insipid look on their face. And, I heard this from a few people, that Mainers will not look you in the eye, but instead they will look away from you. Now that I think about it, it seems true. Apparently it is how you can tell the locals from those who are from away.

Another thing is that Mainers don't really like outsiders. They may not say it out-right to your face, but the sentiment is still there.

The regulars on here come from small towns--not all, but a good amount--they are friendly and genuine but sometimes their presence represents that which is more a kin to small town living then anything that can be labeled as simply being a Maine-ism.

5--No. The only video game manufacturer is located in Apply Valley, MN. There might be something in Boston, but I doubt that there is anything like that around here. I could be wrong though. You can come here and start one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
#5 should read the only video game manufacturer that I know of.

And....cheeffenciesaper...should read 'cheaper'...spell check is on the fritz.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:16 PM

21 posts, read 74,471 times
ZeeDante-
I have several friends who have grown up here in ME that are now living in CA and miss ME a lot!
1. My brother has a similar degree as you, and he did find it hard to get into a job as an English major, however if you look in the right places, I bet your journalism experience would get you much further! Generally speaking, a recent college graduate or those of us in our mid-twenties live well on $30-35,000 a year (of course this also depends on where you live...cities more expensive, rural areas not so much)!

2. The cost of living here in Maine is pricey for us Mainers, but I think you will find that it is nicely less than CA. Rent and costs of living depend on where you settle. For the most part, the more south you go (like Portland, Kennebunk, Saco, etc) rents will be a bit more expensive. I know people who pay less than $1,000/mo and have beautiful places! Just depends on where you settle!

3. We really don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, or other major severe weather. Just be prepared to dig your car out of the snow a lot in the wintertime! I suggest getting something with 4WD for your first winter here, if you aren't used to driving in snow! We do get rain in the summer and spring, but nothing like CA!

4. The people are nice. Of course, you will find that the pace of life here is much slower than CA, and you will run into the occasional "not so nice" person. I can speak safely that most of us mainers are pretty down to earth and always willing to help!

5. There really aren't any video game companies that I know of, however the Portland area might be the best place to look for that!

Good luck with your move! I bet you will love Maine! Hope this helped!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 PM

20 posts, read 68,783 times
Bangor is awesome and the schools are great.

I went to Portland and the people were so mean to me

Old 04-27-2008, 02:52 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBangor View Post
That happens all the time!!! People from Portland generally hate people from Bangor!!!I'm surprised you lived to tell about it!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:38 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Quote:

Were you wearing your "I'm from Bangor hat"?

Old 04-27-2008, 05:09 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:

But you sound like such a well balanced and likeable person, I wonder why anyone would be 'mean' to you?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:44 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
If you feel like you're being ganged up on.....you are!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:00 PM

65 posts, read 155,910 times
You know coming from a rural town in California you're unlikely to find the life-changes you're looking by moving to Maine. Ok, it'll be colder in winter.

Be aware of what you're coming into. If you can find your niche you'll do well and thrive here, but finding acceptance won't always be easy.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:34 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y200 View Post
You know coming from a rural town in California you're unlikely to find the life-changes you're looking by moving to Maine. Ok, it'll be colder in winter.

Be aware of what you're coming into. If you can find your niche you'll do well and thrive here, but finding acceptance won't always be easy.
I grew up in California.

'ZeeDante' is not the first Californian to have considered moving to Maine.

Where in Maine is acceptance hard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine