Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:15 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times

Advertisements

most types of mint leaves/plants will deter bugs...mosquitos.....that's what the old Indians used.....and if its really bad.... just add a little urine...
better than skin so soft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 08:55 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,091 times
I have lived in Maine for over 50 years, and I guess I have been lucky to never live in a place with many mosquitos, etc.. Living near water MIGHT mean having many of them......but not necessarily. It’s hit or miss. Being deep in the woods almost certainly means many black flies and horseflies.....I really dislike them more than mosquitos. The mosquitos seem to be worse in the early evening.....we sometimes use a little natural repellant spray. There is nothing wrong with a little DEET now and then.
We live right in town now and are almost never bothered my mosquitos or the like.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:17 AM

114 posts, read 111,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
most types of mint leaves/plants will deter bugs...mosquitos.....that's what the old Indians used.....and if its really bad.... just add a little urine...
better than skin so soft
I don't use chemical products like "skin so soft" but urine is a bit extreme. I experimented with all kinds of natural repellent essential oils (except mint oil which I'm allergic to, though I can grow mint plants ok) and found mosquitos has no problems with them, in fact 2 mosquitos tried to land on citronella essential oil open bottle mouth, right among citronella fumes. Pesticides like deet are out of the question for me, here I'm asking about measures taken around the property rather than personal protection stuff.

I know that neem oil is very good at pest control in organic garden and wonder if there's use of it in spraying around the house lawn and shrubs for biting bug control

Old 08-02-2019, 07:37 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,694,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada1 View Post
I don't use chemical products like "skin so soft" but urine is a bit extreme. I experimented with all kinds of natural repellent essential oils (except mint oil which I'm allergic to, though I can grow mint plants ok) and found mosquitos has no problems with them, in fact 2 mosquitos tried to land on citronella essential oil open bottle mouth, right among citronella fumes. Pesticides like deet are out of the question for me, here I'm asking about measures taken around the property rather than personal protection stuff.

I know that neem oil is very good at pest control in organic garden and wonder if there's use of it in spraying around the house lawn and shrubs for biting bug control
For after bite care I have found a product Sssting Stop to miraculous. https://www.swansonvitamins.com/boer...SABEgJZsfD_BwE

Old 08-02-2019, 07:44 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada1 View Post
I don't use chemical products like "skin so soft" but urine is a bit extreme.
Yeah, I think I'd rather itch than ask someone to pee on me.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:02 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
Deer flies are attracted to the color tan. Buy some carpet tap which is sticky on both sides. Put it on an old hat. When you come back inside you will find deer flies on the tape. No need to remove the tape if you are not going to Bangor with the hat. ;-)

Old 08-04-2019, 06:17 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Get a bat box, a bat can eat 1000 mosquitos in an hour.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 AM

Color tan is the color of many outdoor type of pants.
Bats sound like a great idea...but I guess they still can't eliminate all the bugs.

Seems like no one knows the minimal radius to mow. This might not matter, I guess, as mosquitos will have no problem to fly a bit longer distance, it seems like they can sense their prey from very large distances.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
For after bite care I have found a product Sssting Stop to miraculous. https://www.swansonvitamins.com/boer...SABEgJZsfD_BwE
Seems like it's easy to make yourself (and without carbomer, aka polyacrylic acid):
"carbomer, citronella oil, ethyl alcohol, eucalyptus oil, jojoba oil, purified water, sodium hydroxide, witch hazel"

Old 08-05-2019, 09:07 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Bats are indeed a great way to keep the bugs down --- although even they won't eliminate them entirely. But bats in Maine are really hurting. We used to have at least 3 or 4 living round our house, but I haven't seen one at all this year.

https://www.timesrecord.com/articles...at-population/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine