Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 01:07 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times

Advertisements

You'll be welcome, wannabe. In 1992, the environmental industry published a list of towns where they wanted 100% depopulation. They had a second list of towns where they wanted 50 to 80% depopulation. They are making good progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 07:07 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
The advantage to population decline is that you can live in a rural area with low population density. For all practical purposes, we have no neighbors. There is definitely a trend to increased urbanization. All of this is ebb and flow. Maine will rise again when the time is right.

Another good result is more freedom. Densely populated areas are less free. I can go back to my little shooting range, and odds are no one will even know. I can use the chainsaw and log splitter and no one will know. My dogs can bark at the wildlife, and no one will know. I can use the outdoor crapper each day and no one will know. The local compliance officer can go whistle Dixie. I think I heard him recently.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:19 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The advantage to population decline is that you can live in a rural area with low population density. For all practical purposes, we have no neighbors. There is definitely a trend to increased urbanization. All of this is ebb and flow. Maine will rise again when the time is right.

Another good result is more freedom. Densely populated areas are less free. I can go back to my little shooting range, and odds are no one will even know. I can use the chainsaw and log splitter and no one will know. My dogs can bark at the wildlife, and no one will know. I can use the outdoor crapper each day and no one will know. The local compliance officer can go whistle Dixie. I think I heard him recently.
I would like to think you’re right, but realistically it will take a century or more for rural Maine to start growing again, I think.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:50 AM

72 posts, read 60,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is a song called The Last Cowboy Song. It begins with, This is the last cowboy song; the end of a hundred year walk." Maine is the same way. Our traditions are dying as our elders pass on. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKeDcF1v_Y4

"And eyeball to eyeball old wives back down " Towards the end of it you can hear Ol Willie chime in . Spot on Northern Maine Land Man .

If I may let me share this "underground" one with you from "out west " .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh0DQ80kZoY

Old 08-07-2019, 05:58 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
In 2004 Maine lost 24,000 manufacturing jobs and the U.S. has shed 7 million of these middle class dreams.
We as Mainers are resilient and the ones that stay and choose our way of life find opportunities to remain and flourish.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:30 AM

72 posts, read 60,159 times
Well said Sir !

Old 08-07-2019, 07:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
The death of manufacturing and mills, and the lessening of some forms of manual labor all contribute, but a major factor is just isolation. There's nothing to hold an inquisitive kid from leaving, when he sees a life of utter boredom and uselessness in front of him. This happens all over the country--i.e kids from the Dakotas head for Minneapolis, for much the same reasons..

Old 08-07-2019, 12:13 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The death of manufacturing and mills, and the lessening of some forms of manual labor all contribute, but a major factor is just isolation. There's nothing to hold an inquisitive kid from leaving, when he sees a life of utter boredom and uselessness in front of him. This happens all over the country--i.e kids from the Dakotas head for Minneapolis, for much the same reasons..

I think you're right. It speaks volumes about our overall culture these days..........i.e. the places aren't inherently boring or useless. In fact, for hundreds of years they were usually seen as great.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:43 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I would like to think you’re right, but realistically it will take a century or more for rural Maine to start growing again, I think.
I hope it does. Why does every place have to be hoppin'? Maine is the last frontier of the east, the last refuge of a New England that is increasingly urbanized and paved over. As an escapee of Rhode Island, I can't tell you how much it meant to have Maine nearby.

Not everybody loves the cities and big business. Give me the pines, the lakes, the haircap moss, the stars on a quiet night, the moose, the soft sound of a heavy snowfall. I don't mean to get overly romantic. It's just that I love my freedom and my privacy up here.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
In 2004 Maine lost 24,000 manufacturing jobs and the U.S. has shed 7 million of these middle class dreams.
We as Mainers are resilient and the ones that stay and choose our way of life find opportunities to remain and flourish.

I have family from New England and was a This Old House addict. Love the rocky coast and mountains behind me. I loved getting a foot of snow in April and I am not a big skier.

Being from away and New Jersey was my only down fall. I would be best friends with one family member, and the other would have it in for me. To this day, I am still friends with many Mainers and they understand the divide.

So what is "our way of life", what did I miss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine