Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:01 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times

Advertisements

Well... just like I said. The fall rains have been coming, and the days between the rains remain with high humidity and temperatures that don’t get out of the 60’s---not something conducive to drying out wood that got soaked with 4 inches of rain. So glad I got on schedule this year in covering the wood in the third week in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 05:51 AM

565 posts, read 935,391 times
Is there a recommended amount of wood to take per acre of Maine treegrowth sustainably??

Googling i'm seeing everything from a cord an acre can be taken annually, to much less. But this is for the whole country and not just Maine.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Ran a small hot fire tonight. Temps supposed to go down to 46, and only up to 63 outside tomorrow. So not much chance for the current 62 interior temp to rise. Earliest thAt we needed to do this before wAs September 15.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:17 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Is there a recommended amount of wood to take per acre of Maine treegrowth sustainably??

Googling i'm seeing everything from a cord an acre can be taken annually, to much less. But this is for the whole country and not just Maine.
I'd say a cord/acre of sustained harvest would be very optimistic. It would definitely have to be a hardwood stand, not mixed growth like most places would be. I've been told a good hardwood stand would produce 10 cord per acre if it was totally harvested. Considering that, I'd say a half cord/acre would be more realistic for a sustainable harvest and that would be pushing it.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:58 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
I’m in my late 60’s and have burned wood all my life. I generally drop trees on my land that appear diseased or damaged by ice or crowded out by other trees. I have a wood splitter, a 4wd tractor, side by side UTV with dump body and a pickup that I utilize for such duties. Personally it is a difficult task at best, but it keeps my blood sugar levels at a healthy level! I don’t mind it really. I devote one day a week to firewood during the snowless season. When I bought the home it was a leaky, drafty, ignored dwelling. The oil bill was over $80 per week for hot water and heat. I have since insulated the entire home and installed new energy efficient windows. Also Installed tank less hot water heater and installed an energy efficient wood burner. I stack my wood on pallets, use the tractor with forks attached to the bucket and move the pallets as needed into the garage, and fill the wood box nightly. Who needs a gym membership?

Old 09-13-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
UTV with dump body and a pickup that I utilize for such duties.
I was wondering where I would need to go If I needed to dump a body.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
use the tractor with forks attached to the bucket
I’m 70. I’ve been burning wood since 1979 for 100% of my heat in 3 houses. I always looked at the house in regard to whether it was conducive to wood heat.

I’m thinking that a John Deer or other small garden tractor with a fork and bucket might be in my future. I would use it to move the wood from the piles to the stack position on the wood pallets. Right now I have to pick it up from the ground, put it into a wagon behind my cub cadet lawn tractor, drive it to the wood stacking, and then lit it out of the wagon. This lifting up and down gets to me. Lifting it up to the height of the pile would save time and my back.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:08 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
I recommend the largest 4wd garden tractor you can find with lugged tires and chains; diesel would be a plus. I made the mistake of buying a gas JD 445 2wd and it just did not have the oomph to dig under and lift even small piles of dirt and gravel. A lot of money wasted due to my lack of experience with such equipment.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:56 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I was wondering where I would need to go If I needed to dump a body.
If you own a pickup, suddenly all your friends need help moving appliances.

The same happens when you own a backhoe. I got a tractor with a backhoe and right away friends were asking me to bury their bodies.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
I recommend the largest 4wd garden tractor you can find with lugged tires and chains; diesel would be a plus. I made the mistake of buying a gas JD 445 2wd and it just did not have the oomph to dig under and lift even small piles of dirt and gravel. A lot of money wasted due to my lack of experience with such equipment.
So this wouldn’t work.
Attached Thumbnails
How much wood do you use per season?-tractor.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine