Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:15 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Has anybody spent any time crunching the numbers for this? According to the press release from the Maine Republican Party, the increased tax on beer, wine and soda combined with the "surcharge" on insurance payments from those of us with insurance will raise $49.6 million the first year, $56.8 million the second, and $58 million the third. This is to assist in covering 13000 people that are enrolled in Dirigo. My calculator says that's $12646 per person that is covered by Dirigo for the three year period. We hear about how a family of 4 can't afford insurance...seems like you and I kicking in over 50 grand for that family of four over a three year period is asking a little too much of us! I think there must be a better answer.
AND...Half of those already had health care coverage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
A law like this passed in Minnesota a few years ago. The idea was that it would give doctors complete access to your history in case of emergencies or to just more or less properly treat patients more effectively. This was one of those issues that was not voted on by the people, just the legislator. Well, there was a huge uproar over it and the majority seemed to want to keep their files private--even if they were only going to be seen by other medical professionals.
The trouble with that is that the records are databased in a server with more hospitals going electronic. The IT people have access, but tend to be the most reliable. Hospital employees and students have to log on to view patient records. Many have been fired or written up for viewing for patients that are not their charges.

Technically, even nursing and med students can not just browse records as case studies like they used to. To some extent. I would like to see the Act amended, but it will not happen, as there are lobbyists with PC and other agendas.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:49 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Default For those who question the sanity of our reps...

Moderator cut: Please quote a snippet and supply the link so we don't get into copy right issues.

HistoryBuff.com -- Insane Man Elected to Congress

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-18-2008 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-19-2008, 06:00 PM

142 posts, read 346,050 times
Default Maine Care

So far I like the black fly party.
I really believe co-pays would be a huge help. People may think twice about going to the doctor. Many visits are not necessary,let the cold run its course,try OTC meds first. People go to the doctor for things I never would of thought about going. Mainecare owes the hospital millions of dollars. I had no idea it had been about 5yrs since since Mecare paid there bills. I am afraid to say because of this there could be trouble down the road. Don't know what else to say,just really disgusted. If anyone owed the State money they would be breathing down that persons neck. If anyone is on Mecare I don't mean to offend,I had for awhile myself and never would of made it without it. That was many years ago and I wonder if those bills were paid.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:47 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have no idea of how to 'fix' our nation's health care system.

I have one of the 'best' health care insurance policies [Martin's Point]. I pay $600/year enrollment, and $20 per visit, with a $5k cap. Hardly anyone in Maine qualifies for this coverage and it is regional [only good for New England].

As far as I can see the costs of modern space-age health care goes up every year. So obviously our combined health care costs will continue to go up.

Today health care costs more per year than many folks' Gross annual earnings. What happens when our society's total health care costs exceed our nation's GNP?

I learned years ago to travel with my health record in hand. It is three inches thick. Each time that I have gone into my current PCP, she does not have a clue as to what is in my medical record. I have seen her leaf through it, she is lost when looking at a paper medical record so thick. But she has too many patients.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 AM

142 posts, read 346,050 times
If you think your doc has to many pt's it maybe because bills are not getting paid. Mecare insurance is most peoples insurance. How can an office run if they are not getting paid and how people on regular insurance are not paying? It's alot and as far as seeing alot of pt's in a day,please stop and think of how many people no show for an appt and there are quite a few people who come in late for there appt and it throws the whole day off. We don't turn away people for uti or sorethroats,if people need to be seen we do our absolutely best to see them and it makes it hard when you lose 1hr1/2 because of no shows. There are two sides to every story. How do we fix it?

Old 04-21-2008, 02:35 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
The legislators pushed through a bill late last night, signed today by the Governor.
It raises taxes on soda, wine, beer and flavored water.

Monies used to continue funding Dirigo. So much for "no new taxes".
And any thoughts of affordable healthcare in Maine.
This is not rocket science (except perhaps for our Governor and legislators). In New Hampshire health insurance costs about a third of what it costs in Maine. If they can figure it out we ought to be able, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine