U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 AM

10,232 posts, read 16,151,193 times

Advertisements

I too am an "outdoor lover", but we can actively take care of our outdoors. I own some old growth forest that has never been cut. There are indeed special places. I know most of the organizations which are like the tentacles of an octopus. What we must understand is that the members of many of these groups are what Joseph Stalin referred to as "useful idiots". They do not realize that "no human use" includes them!

They appreciate donations and prefer that the bird seed you by may channel part of the price to the Audubon. ALL of this pertains directly to Maine Demographics, which is the title of this thread.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-10-2019, 09:00 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,083,434 times
I can sympathize with NMLM. I support environmental organizations. I have run for office as a Green. My perspective now has changed. Maine is different in my opinion. Natives can control their land on their own very well without having a national organization do it for them. Having organizations buy up land makes it off limits to others who may want to purchase acreage for their own personal use. I can see it both ways.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:00 AM

6,933 posts, read 4,807,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So far as I know, the Nature Conservancy is not an industry, it's a philanthropy that uses member donations to fund programs to improve water quality and wildlife habitat, to purchase and set aside lands for wildlife refuges and parks with public access. Here is a link to some of their programs in Maine:
https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-u...-states/maine/
Nature Conservancy is a HUGE "player" in Maine. Has lots of clout.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:27 AM

4,200 posts, read 1,937,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I can sympathize with NMLM. I support environmental organizations. I have run for office as a Green. My perspective now has changed. Maine is different in my opinion. Natives can control their land on their own very well without having a national organization do it for them. Having organizations buy up land makes it off limits to others who may want to purchase acreage for their own personal use. I can see it both ways.
We have Parker River National Wildlife Refuge adjacent to my town on Plum Island. The private section is just cottages jammed one on another, and although the beach is in principle public access, there's no place to park, so that end of the island is ugly and useless to all but those who hold the beachfront lots. The public section is still beautiful, still wild, and it provides much needed nursery and habitat for migratory birds, and everyone can enjoy it - you don't need to have money. I imagine that Acadia would just be held by a hundred rich families for their own enjoyment, rather than enjoyed by millions as a national park. I own property, and am certainly not an opponent of private land ownership, but it's not like there is any shortage of that.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 4,807,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
We have Parker River National Wildlife Refuge adjacent to my town on Plum Island. The private section is just cottages jammed one on another, and although the beach is in principle public access, there's no place to park, so that end of the island is ugly and useless to all but those who hold the beachfront lots. The public section is still beautiful, still wild, and it provides much needed nursery and habitat for migratory birds, and everyone can enjoy it - you don't need to have money. I imagine that Acadia would just be held by a hundred rich families for their own enjoyment, rather than enjoyed by millions as a national park. I own property, and am certainly not an opponent of private land ownership, but it's not like there is any shortage of that.
The environmental groups don't have to actually OWN the land (although Big Environment certainly has billions upon billions of dollars to throw around.............it's a hobby of the 1% to donate money to them, or set up brand new groups, and then go out and buy thousands of acres).

No, they don't need to own it. They can simply do what they did to private property west of Portage two years ago: work with their allies in Augusta (they are tied at the hip) to block use of the property. So now it just sits there. Ten people might hike or canoe through that property over the next ten years (I am being generous). I know the property. Granted, ALL semi-wilderness is special (I am never happier than when I am in the Big Woods). But there isn't anything special about this property......I have never heard of a single person setting out to explore it or camp on it, etc. Not one.
Oh well. I guess those 1,000 people didn't need any money (the potential employees, their families, businesses in the area who would benefit from a new $10 million payroll per year.)
Oh wait....that's right........they DO need the money. Sorry suckers......state assistance for YOU!.........

Old 09-11-2019, 09:05 AM

10,232 posts, read 16,151,193 times
When GP owned the mill in Woodland, Domtar wanted to buy it for the pulp and the ice feee port. Domtar did not want to make the same mistake that Mead made in Buying the Rumford mill. They told GP to get rid of the forest and they would buy the mill.

Five guys over in Lebanon, NH formed a company called Typhoon LLC. They bought the 419,000 acres that GP owned. GP sold the mill to Domtar. Typhoon sold the 419,000 acres to Hancock Trust. That is not Hancock lumber, that fine Maine family who has run saw mills for generations. Hancock trust is the retirement and investment arm of Yale University. They are a bunch of radical greens. They immediately put a conservation easement on the NINETEEN TOWNSHIPS where nobody will ever build a camp, home, sporting lodge, saw mill, marina or other business. They cut the economic heart out of Washington County. That changes the demographics of Washington County forever.

Here are the next ten towns slated for 20% to 60% loss of population: Sherman, Staceyville, Benedicta, Medway, East Millinocket, Mattawmkeag, Chester, Winn, Lincoln and Sebois. If you look back at the 2000 and 2010 censuses, you will see the huge success being made toward the goals they announced in 1995.

(Edited to correct list)

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 09-11-2019 at 09:23 AM..

Old 09-11-2019, 11:19 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,764,934 times
From employment opportunities to enviromental concerns.
FAQ
Q. A. Nonly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine