Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 02:41 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
School boards are paid, Not much, but they get a stipend.
Thanks for the info, Austin B... so you're saying they have a ''stipend" similar to that of a first year teacher... ... just kidding. I wonder if it is enough to send the budget into a downward spiral (crash and burn) or just gas money to get to and from the meetings

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 09-03-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 04:09 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Thanks for the info, Austin B... so you're saying they have a ''stipend" similar to that of a first year teacher... ... just kidding. I wonder if it is enough to send the budget into a downward spiral (crash and burn) or just gas money to get to and from the meetings
When I was on a board in the early '90's, it was some where around 150-200 dollars a year in our town. You really aren't going to live on it.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:16 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
Up here in the woods, school board members get ten bucks a meeting that they actually attend.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:33 PM

In 1995, the environmental industry defined their goals for Maine in this century. Their agenda is not 21 in a long list of agendas. It is their agenda for the 21'st century. They have defined their agenda to depopulate Maine, town by town. There are 64 towns where they want 20% to 60% depopulation. That's their term. People who live here call it rural cleansing. Here are the first ten of the 64 towns: Fort Kent, Upper Frenchville, Soldier Pond, Wallagrass, Plaisted, Eagle Lake, St. Francis, Winterville, Quimby and Portage. These are the first ten, only 54 to go. In the last 24 years, have they been successful? Have these towns lost 20% to 60% of their 1995 populations? We have the 1990, 2000 and 2010 official census numbers. Take a look.

I'll follow up with the next ten until I have covered the 64 towns. Then I will begin on those towns where they want 100% depopulation. There are 41 of those. Ask yourself; Are we moving?

Old 09-08-2019, 08:57 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,899,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In 1995, the environmental industry defined their goals for Maine in this century. Their agenda is not 21 in a long list of agendas. It is their agenda for the 21'st century. They have defined their agenda to depopulate Maine, town by town. There are 64 towns where they want 20% to 60% depopulation. That's their term. People who live here call it rural cleansing. Here are the first ten of the 64 towns: Fort Kent, Upper Frenchville, Soldier Pond, Wallagrass, Plaisted, Eagle Lake, St. Francis, Winterville, Quimby and Portage. These are the first ten, only 54 to go. In the last 24 years, have they been successful? Have these towns lost 20% to 60% of their 1995 populations? We have the 1990, 2000 and 2010 official census numbers. Take a look.

I'll follow up with the next ten until I have covered the 64 towns. Then I will begin on those towns where they want 100% depopulation. There are 41 of those. Ask yourself; Are we moving?
Those first 10 areas are depopulating rapidly. Really sad. Beautiful places for camps (i.e for wealthier people). But away from the water, empty buildings everywhere.
(Irving Company out of New Brunswick proposed a large mine project in that area a couple of years ago.....would have employed hundreds with good wages. The environmentalists stopped it. Even leftist New Brunswick allows mines!!).

Old 09-09-2019, 06:23 AM

"There's a catchy little phrase that has become sort of a motto by the powers at be for schools, teachers, etc. "Do more with less." It can be applied in various situations. Additionally, I can't tell you the number of times (many) I've seen Ed Tech III positions advertised that should have been teaching positions. It doesn't cost as much to pay an Ed Tech III as it does to pay for a teaching position."

In some districts, ed tech 3's make more than beginning teachers. These are retired engineers who want to give back to their home towns. They have some amazing life experiences. The reason they are not teachers is that they cannot stand the three mind numbing "methods" courses required to be certified in Maine.

We definitely have a teacher shortage.It isn't "headed toward". It has existed for a few years and is getting worse.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:30 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times
Quote:
"There's a catchy little phrase that has become sort of a motto by the powers at be for schools, teachers, etc. "Do more with less."
Yes it can be done. I worked for 33 years for a district in PA that did exactly that. One elementary school counselor for 6 elementary schools. Three elementary Principals for 6 schools. Two middle schools, but only one principal. The lowest taxes in the county, but the highest number of National Blue Ribbon Schools.

It's a little bit more bloated in some ways now, but only due to the crazy federal requirements on special education that come without federal reimbursement. But I’ve not worked for them for almost 9 years now. Nobody in my generation(people who were there in the late 70’s and early 80’s) is still there. I have a friend who was a sweet young thing beginning teacher in 1986, who is now a principal and getting ready to retire in 2 years.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:58 PM

321 posts, read 486,477 times
Quote:

I’ve searched long and hard online and haven’t been able to find any evidence that an entire industry has been trying to depopulate 64 Maine towns. In fact, I can’t find any sort of environmental industry goals that include significantly reducing the population of Maine. Can you point me toward a source for this? I’m genuinely curious about this organized effort to depopulate Maine, and I’ll be happy to go to my local library if needed...can you point me in the right direction?

Old 09-10-2019, 06:28 AM

The goals were consolidated under a contract defined by the Nature Conservancy and produced by Cartographic Associates Inc. 11 Pleasant Street, Littleton, NH. 03561. The environmental Industry does not issue press releases stating that they intend to wipe out 105 Maine towns. The copies of lists and maps I have were purchased at the above address. They are expensive! You can't order them by mail. They are not advertised on any web site I know of, but when you walk in with a lawyer and ask if it will take a court order to get copies, you get copies, but they are not cheap. That said, here are the next 10:

Sheriden, Squapan, Masardis, Oxbow, Hersey, (I-95 goes through Hersey.) Crystal, Patten, Island Falls, Sherman Station, Sherman Mills.

Try Googling "Northern Forest Headwaters Wilderness Reserve System". Maine is a target area, but The plan goes across New Brunswick, Maine, NH, Vermont and the Adirondacks - all the way to Lake Ontario. I left Maine for six years to work at a paper mill in Lyons Falls, NY. Like six out of the seven mills on the Penobscot River, the mill at Lyons Falls is GONE! When you kill the primary employer in an area, the population experiences their desired result; a 20 to 60% reduction in population.

Remember that this plan was published in 1995; nearly a quarter century ago. I'll wait a while and show the next 10.

Also try; An Updated Guide to the Northern Forest:
dartmouth.edu

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 09-10-2019 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 AM

12,361 posts, read 9,462,379 times
So far as I know, the Nature Conservancy is not an industry, it's a philanthropy that uses member donations to fund programs to improve water quality and wildlife habitat, to purchase and set aside lands for wildlife refuges and parks with public access. Here is a link to some of their programs in Maine:
https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-u...-states/maine/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine