U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:55 AM

1,604 posts, read 2,183,676 times

Advertisements

A friend brought this editorial? in the Bangor Daily to my attention. When I read it, I wondered the number of people in Maine who have no idea some of the policies and procedures and teacher certification requirements sometimes plaguing the success of students, other members of the education community, and local school systems. ...what about property taxpayers--how are they affected? Please read and share your thoughts and opinions in response to the article.

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/09/...rs-cant-teach/

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 09-16-2019 at 10:04 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 12:14 PM

3,926 posts, read 3,271,105 times
Sounds like Pennsylvania. I think PA might be more stringent. You can’t even Sub in PA without a BS and a teaching degree. And you need a Masters within 5 years to keep teaching, as well as 120 continuing education credits every 5 years, even if you are a substitute.

I almost lost my certificate to teach one year because I didn’t have enough CE credits. I went to a lot of workshops that year.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:01 PM

789 posts, read 784,122 times
mainegirl 2011, that is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread concerning that young person wondering if they should move here, or Washington State. Every time I satisfied one requirement another popped up that was not cited on the website. I provided copies of my degrees, then she stated she needed transcripts for all three degrees even though that was not stated anywhere on their website. Then copies of my license, test scores on the licensure test, ad infinitum I would think someone with 30 years in the field would be a welcome addition to the workforce. Bottom line it continued on like that, I just consider my $150.00 application fee a gift to the state employees Christmas fund.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I just consider my $150.00 application fee a gift to the state employees Christmas fund.
State employees don’t get any of that..... And teachers in Maine don’t even get Social Security when they retire because Maine school districts won’t pay into the fund. They can do it themselves, but if they every miss a payment while they are working as a teacher, it all goes away.

In PA, I got my pension, and Social Security.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:42 AM

789 posts, read 784,122 times
It was an attempt at humor, as always-thanks for keeping me straight! In NC I got my State Pension and Social Security.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:18 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,089,708 times
I remember all too well when my dad was a teacher in Maine but had to go teach in Connecticut because he just couldn't raise a family of seven on his income. So Hartford is where he ended up and his salary went up from $6000. a year to $9000. a year in the late sixties. He was a special ed teacher until his early retirement in the mid eighties because of health issues. He lived on his teachers retirement mostly but did generate a little social security the last decade and a half in Connecticut at least.

He got out of the Navy after WW2 and went to a two year teachers college in Farmington where he met my mom. His first years of teaching and being principal of several schools in Maine never brought him the income that local plant workers yet alone plant managers were making. He was forced to go to school for many years just to get his bachelors degree but he still needed to continue even after that to get his masters to kind of get closer to what the average person would make without any formal education. He had to play his horn every Friday, Saturday night and Sunday weddings just in order to keep up. (dixieland band).

Also, he was pretty good at the races too, both horses and dogs, and would get to the track several hours before the first race just to study everything. And only one summer, he extended his salary to twelve months so that he didn't have to go work that one summer. Instead he had to go to school all summer. All the other summers in order to get a summer salary it was the horn, the track and he was a Tin Man (roofing and siding salesman) too. He would drive me all around Maine in our travels and it was often that he would slow down and say "There's another job I did!" The only problem is the owner kept going in and out of business and my father and his best friend didn't get paid for a whole summers work. The guy just went bankrupt and would start a new business under another name. (Reputaion = Tin Man = Bad) When actually it was the owners of these businesses mostly.

One thing though is the insurance that he got from teaching in Connecticut after retiring was tremendous. He was in and out of the hospital several times and was taking a dozen or more pills a day for many years and didn't have to pay for any prescriptions.

Finally, I was surprised to see this thread and the frustrations that Maine teachers or wanna be teachers still face today. This thread could have been started in 1968. Sheeesh.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Finally, I was surprised to see this thread and the frustrations that Maine teachers or wanna be teachers still face today. This thread could have been started in 1968. Sheeesh.
Most people here were not alive, let alone thinking about teaching in 1968. Unfortunately, I was.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 368 times
What a timely article. My wife and I have been planning a move to Maine from the Northern Virginia area. We didn't want to move until she obtained her teaching license in Maine. She has over a decade experience teaching middle school math with multiple endorsements, not to mention a Masters plus 30. Its been six months and she is no closer to obtaining a Maine teaching license now than when she started. The Maine Department of Education Teacher Certification group may be hampered by the rules in place however they could not be more unresponsive. Did I mention she was willing to teach there despite a 50% reduction in salary from her current position. It's as if there is a unpublished mandate to block experienced, qualified candidates.

It took six weeks for her to get a full teaching license (with all endorsements) in Vermont.

I just don't see the logic of the Maine DOE deliberately crippling their education system with the current rules in place.

Anyway, Thank you Kiwiluver for your response to the original post. I just joined this forum and showed my wife your response so she knew she was not alone in giving up trying to navigate Maine's teaching certification circus.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansirtech View Post
The Maine Department of Education Teacher Certification group may be hampered by the rules in place however they could not be more unresponsive.
Even if you’d gotten certified, districts might have ignored you. Two years before I retired here there was a PT position on Swan’s Island as a counselor. I had all the requirements for that position, and could have gotten licensed with just a letter and a fee. But I could not get the district to respond to my letter. Eventually they cancelled the position altogether. I was living in PA at the time.

I have a friend who is a Nurse Practitioner who works for the local hospital doctor service(my doctor, actually). When she got married and moved to Mount Desert Island, her husband(also a NP who she met at University of Vermont) applied to Hospital. She was still using her maiden name in the job. She was looking at the different applicants with another NP and the other girl commented that he looked like super candidate but it was a shame that he lived in Vermont, since no one hires anyone out of state. He just had not changed the address on his resumes. His wife told them he lived on MDI, and they hired him immediately.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:46 AM

Location: “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who
129 posts, read 41,930 times
How much does a SPED / STEM teacher make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine