U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2019, 10:06 AM

28 posts, read 21,164 times

Advertisements

I notice that most homes along the lakes, rivers,etc. do not have screened rooms. Is there not a mosquito problem in the Summer? What about flies? Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 11:48 AM

554 posts, read 609,145 times
I live in the southern mid-coast and there are definitely mosquitoes!

Old 10-03-2019, 01:51 PM

3,314 posts, read 6,202,797 times
All of my windows have screens. They do keep the bugs out.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:53 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,186,003 times
Yes, there are mosquitoes and flies. I have noticed them being especially bothersome before 10 a.m. and at dusk. If the wind is blowing, that can help keep them away. It doesn't have to be before 10 a.m. or at dusk for them to be bothersome. I had some of the little buggahs after me yesterday morning, feasting on my arm (mosquitoes). This topic has been covered at least once so you might want to search the Maine forum and decide upon natural bug spray or non natural bug spray, screening, screened in gazebos, portable screened in tent-like choices, etc. If you have a dog, be sure he/she is up to date on heart worm medication. My understanding is dogs can develop heart worms from mosquito bites.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:32 AM

557 posts, read 759,125 times
The skeeters are the worst early summer. May-Julyish. After that the dragon fly populations expand and take them out. Not to say you won't get them the rest of the year, however most wet areas are inundated early summer then it really calms down.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:35 PM

10 posts, read 5,455 times
Housefly season is at its peak in the midcoast in September -- and you need good, intact screens to keep them out, or you'll be inundated pretty quick. Keep your garbage cans covered, keep an eye on pet food and litter boxes, and don't leave any food uncovered for very long, or you may experience some surprises. Once they find a place they like, they move right in, and you can either break out the flypaper or start swinging around with a swatter.

Mosquitoes depend on how rainy the spring was and how much puddled water there is near your house.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:20 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,186,003 times
If you want to live in a place with no mosquitoes, here is a suggestion. https://www.icelandreview.com/news/n...es-scientists/

Old 10-13-2019, 04:29 PM

3,926 posts, read 3,273,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewellman View Post
Once they find a place they like, they move right in, and you can either break out the flypaper or start swinging around with a swatter.
Flies don’t have enough brain power to choose whether they like something or not. This is called athropo morphising mosquitos.

It's people who choose to provide something the mosquito can respond to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine