Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 08:48 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times

Advertisements

If the OP wants unlimited, unobstructed ocean beach access for swimming, walking or hiking he/she needs to choose a different state. ... Based on the initial post/start of this thread, it's pretty obvious that Maine doesn't meet his/her criteria, wants, and desires regarding ocean coastal access. No one will force him/her to hike in Maine which doesn't measure up to his West Coast expectations. I think Oregon might have been mentioned for hiking, 300 miles directly facing the Pacific Ocean. I also think his/her math about Maine is off if that even matters.

So... why is there such an increase in visitors to Maine? Not really trying to offend anyone with this post, just sharing my opinion; I guess it could be interpreted offensively depending on one's perspective. There was a time when the public didn't have access to the Internet. Now people go on vacation in Acadia and share, share, share online through various methods. This increases the number of people who want to visit Acadia and other parts of Maine (also shared on social media) and other places in the U.S. and the world. I'm mainely concerned with Maine.

I remember when there was NO FEE to enter Acadia National Park and you could easily find a place to park at Jordan Pond even in July and August. You could ride the Park Loop Road in June and maybe see two cars on it. At that time in July and August, you could arrive at Sand Beach by 9:30 a.m. on a beautiful, sunny, hot day and find a place to park in the main parking lot as opposed to out on the Park Loop Road. News of Acadia was spread primarily by word of mouth pre Internet and social media. The more of beautiful Maine that is shared online, the more visitors we will have. Opinions as to whether this is a good or bad thing will differ I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure the annual number of visitors to Acadia is currently about 3.5 million with more than 30,000 visitors entering Acadia on July 5, 2019. The following link to a news story states that number of visitors has increased by more than 70% since 2008. The words "big money" are in the title. Jobs are important for people to live; I realize that. Is money all that matters? Where is the healthy balance? Does anyone think about or question the environmental impact on Acadia and the rest of MDI? https://www.mainepublic.org/post/rec...gion-last-year

Apparently the "big money" mentioned in the article wasn't enough because this year, Bar Harbor had parking meters and kiosks installed in order to make more money off visitors. It will be interesting to see how much of this paid parking money will actually "help take the burden off taxpayers." https://www.mdislander.com/maine-new...s-expectations

Maybe I'm skeptical as to how much tax payers will be helped from paid parking as I think about how much does naming a lottery an education lottery actually help education.

It used to be a fun novelty to have cruise ships come to Bar Harbor a few times (FEW) per summer season. Personally, I think this has become way too much ... TOO MANY CRUISE SHIPS bringing TOO MANY PEOPLE. Again, what about the environmental impact, potential pollutants in the harbor? Why SO MANY cruise ships?

I would encourage people to hush themselves and their social media accounts as well as not posting on YouTube about special areas of Maine that have not been overcome/overwhelmed by visitors as yet. This would include secluded beaches with few people who know about them and visit them, little known spots on MDI and within Acadia as well as any other such places around the state. Some feel obligated to tell everything they know, but it is not a requirement.

I used to believe that ocean frontage was public domain/open to the public below the high water line, but have since discovered that may not be true. Also, I was sad to hear that a long-time public beach in Kennebunkport may no longer be a public beach. Apparently the property owners want the beach all to themselves. I don't think the legal battle is over. https://bangordailynews.com/2019/05/...highest-court/

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 10-13-2019 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
yes. Exactly.

It was first explained to me as a 'fowling' law. Anyone shooting duck is allowed to travel and hunt in that region along all waterways.

My land includes about 10-acres that produces fiddleheads, all below the mean high watermark. Anyone [everyone] who comes onto my land from canoes can access my land to pick fiddleheads.

The only form of 'protection' is that if the picker is doing it commercially, three years ago a new law requires that they get the landowners written permission to sell the fiddleheads.

Also we have seen this topic come up in regards to seaweed harvesting.
A question comes to my mind. Do the same rules apply to river frontage as to ocean frontage?

Old 10-13-2019, 10:57 AM

978 posts, read 674,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
If the OP wants unlimited, unobstructed ocean beach access for swimming, walking or hiking he/she needs to choose a different state. ... Based on the initial post/start of this thread, it's pretty obvious that Maine doesn't meet his/her criteria, wants, and desires regarding ocean coastal access. No one will force him/her to hike in Maine which doesn't measure up to his West Coast expectations. I think Oregon might have been mentioned for hiking, 300 miles directly facing the Pacific Ocean. I also think his/her math about Maine is off if that even matters.

So... why is there such an increase in visitors to Maine? Not really trying to offend anyone with this post, just sharing my opinion; I guess it could be interpreted offensively depending on one's perspective. There was a time when the public didn't have access to the Internet. Now people go on vacation in Acadia and share, share, share online through various methods. This increases the number of people who want to visit Acadia and other parts of Maine (also shared on social media) and other places in the U.S. and the world. I'm mainely concerned with Maine.

I remember when there was NO FEE to enter Acadia National Park and you could easily find a place to park at Jordan Pond even in July and August. You could ride the Park Loop Road in June and maybe see two cars on it. At that time in July and August, you could arrive at Sand Beach by 9:30 a.m. on a beautiful, sunny, hot day and find a place to park in the main parking lot as opposed to out on the Park Loop Road. News of Acadia was spread primarily by word of mouth pre Internet and social media. The more of beautiful Maine that is shared online, the more visitors we will have. Opinions as to whether this is a good or bad thing will differ I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure the annual number of visitors to Acadia is currently about 3.5 million with more than 30,000 visitors entering Acadia on July 5, 2019. The following link to a news story states that number of visitors has increased by more than 70% since 2008. The words "big money" are in the title. Jobs are important for people to live; I realize that. Is money all that matters? Where is the healthy balance? Does anyone think about or question the environmental impact on Acadia and the rest of MDI? https://www.mainepublic.org/post/rec...gion-last-year

Apparently the "big money" mentioned in the article wasn't enough because this year, Bar Harbor had parking meters and kiosks installed in order to make more money off visitors. It will be interesting to see how much of this paid parking money will actually "help take the burden off taxpayers." https://www.mdislander.com/maine-new...s-expectations

Maybe I'm skeptical as to how much tax payers will be helped from paid parking as I think about how much does naming a lottery an education lottery actually help education.

It used to be a fun novelty to have cruise ships come to Bar Harbor a few times (FEW) per summer season. Personally, I think this has become way too much ... TOO MANY CRUISE SHIPS bringing TOO MANY PEOPLE. Again, what about the environmental impact, potential pollutants in the harbor? Why SO MANY cruise ships?

I would encourage people to hush themselves and their social media accounts as well as not posting on YouTube about special areas of Maine that have not been overcome/overwhelmed by visitors as yet. This would include secluded beaches with few people who know about them and visit them, little known spots on MDI and within Acadia as well as any other such places around the state. Some feel obligated to tell everything they know, but it is not a requirement.

I used to believe that ocean frontage was public domain/open to the public below the high water line, but have since discovered that may not be true. Also, I was sad to hear that a long-time public beach in Kennebunkport may no longer be a public beach. Apparently the property owners want the beach all to themselves. I don't think the legal battle is over. https://bangordailynews.com/2019/05/...highest-court/
That cat was let out of the bag many many years ago. As far as parking meters and tolls? No the taxpayers probably won't see any relief. With the increase of tourists, come an increase in spending by the state. Why, you probably have to hire more police, more road crews, more supervisors, etc. What Maine is going through is the same all over the world. The internet has made our planet smaller.
Though we might have precious little, it's still precious.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:15 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post

This is very true. I was lucky enough to go to MDI starting in the 1970s as a child. Then after high school, I went quite often in the 80s and 90s. You could see the changes year to year.............more and more and more people. Now............well, let's just hold onto the memories. It was a great place back then. Today, it's a total zoo. That's not to say that we won't bring our kids there (they got to see it for the first time this summer). But I just have to make very sure that I don't start telling them that "you should have seen it back in the glory days".........no need to ruin whatever experience they have.
BTW, it wouldn't matter if you start charging $100 or even $200 get into the park.........the people who come are rich and they WANT to see Acadia).

Old 10-13-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
That cat was let out of the bag many many years ago. As far as parking meters and tolls? No the taxpayers probably won't see any relief. With the increase of tourists, come an increase in spending by the state. Why, you probably have to hire more police, more road crews, more supervisors, etc. What Maine is going through is the same all over the world. The internet has made our planet smaller.
Though we might have precious little, it's still precious.
not talking about tolls, homestead123... let's keep those on the Maine turnpike. I'm pretty sure the parking meter fees go to the town of Bar Harbor, NOT the state. Let's keep state spending projects separate from local (town and city) spending. lol, Hannaford (grocery store) in Bar Harbor hired security to keep people from parking for free in their parking lot...non grocery store shoppers. Possibly other businesses did the same. I don't think the parking fees paid for this. A section of Rt 3 between Ellsworth and Bar Harbor has been under construction for a couple of years, don't think parking meter fees are paying for that either. You say what Maine is going through is the same all over the world; I don't think Maine or most native Mainers have ever wanted to be like the rest of the world. Imo people share way too much information online about lots of topics, Maine is just one of the topics. One of my favorites is about reasons not to move to Maine. ... add to that there is no coastal ocean hiking trail long enough with a direct view of the Atlantic Ocean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8JofL-dcw

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 10-13-2019 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
This is very true. I was lucky enough to go to MDI starting in the 1970s as a child. Then after high school, I went quite often in the 80s and 90s. You could see the changes year to year.............more and more and more people. Now............well, let's just hold onto the memories. It was a great place back then. Today, it's a total zoo. That's not to say that we won't bring our kids there (they got to see it for the first time this summer). But I just have to make very sure that I don't start telling them that "you should have seen it back in the glory days".........no need to ruin whatever experience they have.
BTW, it wouldn't matter if you start charging $100 or even $200 get into the park.........the people who come are rich and they WANT to see Acadia).
Well... you make some great points, but not all of them are rich. ... unless the panhandlers I see are actually rich. example: sign Broke, need money to get home. Call a relative; quit expecting us to finance your vacation/trip. I will concede that most people who go on vacation realize it is going to cost money.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:03 PM

978 posts, read 674,453 times
On the flip side, Maine is making more and more revenue every year! That's a good thing. Stores need to hire security for parking issues? That$ a good thing. Money isn't bad, it gives people more options. More opportunity. Which is a good thing.
I know you won't like this, but you sound a bit selfish in your attitude. People discover places, look at the Galapagos, or North and south americas! I'm sure the indigenous people felt the same way as you. Hmmmmmm...... hey wait a second.......

Nothing stays the same, only change is permanent.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:53 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
I wonder how many people need more than 175 miles of coast land to hike on. I’ve hiked most of the trails on Acadia repeatedly, and they never get old.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
On the flip side, Maine is making more and more revenue every year! That's a good thing. Stores need to hire security for parking issues? That$ a good thing. Money isn't bad, it gives people more options. More opportunity. Which is a good thing.
I know you won't like this, but you sound a bit selfish in your attitude. People discover places, look at the Galapagos, or North and south americas! I'm sure the indigenous people felt the same way as you. Hmmmmmm...... hey wait a second.......

Nothing stays the same, only change is permanent.
You must be from away. There are so many job opportunities available on MDI and the surrounding areas in the summer, "they" can't seem to find enough people to fill them all; therefore, I don't think hiring the security people in the parking lot of a grocery store is all that important. Sometimes change is good and sometimes it is not so good. I don't think caring about the environment is selfish, the potential pollutants from all those cruise ships coming and going in the harbor all summer, the whole idea of "leave no trace" is supposed to be taken seriously. I am for a balance between making money and what happens to get it. Acadia is a relatively small national park compared to some of the others. When more than 30,000 people enter it all in one day, it seems a bit much, even to the point of becoming a safety issue. https://www.nps.gov/acad/learn/news/...ay-weekend.htm

Old 10-14-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I wonder how many people need more than 175 miles of coast land to hike on. I’ve hiked most of the trails on Acadia repeatedly, and they never get old.
Yes, but did you have a direct view of the Atlantic Ocean the whole time. You don't have to answer. I already know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine