Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:30 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times

Advertisements

Kenowheregirl, I tracked time when I drove from Lincoln to Bangor today. It's 44 minutes from the mill in Lincoln to the Hogan Road exit on I95 in Bangor. The traffic lights were green so I didn't have to wait and I never went more than 70 mph on the interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:00 PM

44 posts, read 93,372 times
Thanks again for your responses. As usual, the people of Maine have proven themselves to be extremely helpful and thoughtful on this forum! I simply cannot believe how affordable property is(compared to WI) in your neck of the woods! Does anybody know anything about Alton, ME? I've been doing some looking around online and thinking perhaps we should consider somewhere in between Bangor and Lincoln. Any thoughts? (Forest? ) Thank you! BTW, my DH is applying tonight! If this worked out, it would be the great and slightly crazy adventure we've always dreamed of sharing together. I'm sure there are quite a few of you who understand what I mean.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:31 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenowheregirl View Post
... Does anybody know anything about Alton, ME?
They recently incorporated their township and their mil rate doubled, it is currently 0.016

They have some gravel pits and a bit of access to peat bog.

Quote:
... I've been doing some looking around online and thinking perhaps we should consider somewhere in between Bangor and Lincoln. Any thoughts?
That is a might fine area to be looking at. Enfield is nice too, Howland, all nice areas.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
... BTW, my DH is applying tonight! If this worked out, it would be the great and slightly crazy adventure we've always dreamed of sharing together. I'm sure there are quite a few of you who understand what I mean.
I wish him luck then.

When you say: "slightly crazy adventure" are you saying that Mainers are crazy?

Or that moving would be crazy?

Old 04-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Ha! Forest, I like your sense of humor. Well, all of our friends think my DH and I are the "crazy" ones out here in WI. We are the only ones who have dreamed of making a HUGE move(yes, I do consider WI to ME to be a big move)and starting a brand new life, totally fresh. We've tried other options in the past, such as DH nearly passing the Foreign Service Exam and other government "things". However, I'm actually not too sure how much I'm supposed to talk about that, so I'll just hush now. Anybody have any info/opinions on Costigan, Greenbush, and that general area? Do these towns in between Bangor and Lincoln have any basics, such as gas and groceries? Or is it necessary to drive into a bigger town for said items? I know these questions may seem rather silly, but I know nothing about this particular region of Maine. Thank you!!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Ha! Forest, I like your sense of humor. Well, all of our friends think my DH and I are the "crazy" ones out here in WI. We are the only ones who have dreamed of making a HUGE move(yes, I do consider WI to ME to be a big move)and starting a brand new life, totally fresh. We've tried other options in the past, such as DH nearly passing the Foreign Service Exam and other government "things". However, I'm actually not too sure how much I'm supposed to talk about that, so I'll just hush now. Anybody have any info/opinions on Costigan, Greenbush, and that general area? Do these towns in between Bangor and Lincoln have any basics, such as gas and groceries? Or is it necessary to drive into a bigger town for said items? I know these questions may seem rather silly, but I know nothing about this particular region of Maine. Thank you!!
I have friends who live in Greenbush, actually since it is right across the river from our property, at night we can see the headlights of cars driving in Greenbush [when there are no leafs in the trees line right now].

Those folks shop for groceries in Old Town.

A drug store, a Hannaford grocery store, a IGA, a hardware store, a lumberyard, a YMCA, a bunch of things.

The least of which is the bowling Alley which has recently become world famous!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:00 PM

Would that be the "once a month nude bowling" bowling alley??

Old 04-22-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Would that be the "once a month nude bowling" bowling alley??
Could be, a group called: "Bare nekkid bowlers" rents the bowling alley once a month.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
I like Lincoln Nice people, good community and their schools are wonderful too! And someone in here but I won't mention any names MBM has a favorite grocery there that he talks about!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,817 times
Default The man with the answers...

Not only do I work at Lincoln Paper and Tissue, I also moved here from away to find a place between Lincoln and Bangor. My wife and I settled down in Howland and have no regrets what so ever. My commute is about 20 minutes to the mill and My wife (works in Bangor) drives 30 minutes. Howland has a couple of gas stations, a couple corner stores, and 1 diner at the gas station right off the exit. I95 is right there as is rt 2 to travel to lincoln along the river (55mph). The mill is a self contained paper producer with a new tissue machine (bulk towel), 2 older tissue machines which make a variety of products including napkins, lens cleaners, medical grade tissue and even cable insulation. We also rune 2 paper machines which produce mostly envelope and reply card(the post cards in magazines).

The secret to the mills sucess is that we are self contained. We take wood in one end and paper product come out the other. We make our own pulp, much of our own power, and we are on the short list of paper mills that make the kind of deep color products that we do in Lincoln. There was a recent quote in the newspaper that stated that in light of current economic conditions, if there is a paper mill that can survive...Lincoln is it.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine