Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 03:31 PM

63 posts, read 63,655 times

Advertisements

House (in NW corner of South Carolina. near Clemson University) sold quickly and moving company (Allied) got my stuff to Belfast and into my rented condo. My jeep has the pine cone and chickadee license plates (not paying extra for loons or lobsters). My Maine driver's license should arrive any day and the EZPass transponder is on windshield

My jeep is getting winterization service this week (mostly radiator flush and windshield washer fluids which were suitable for SC but not for Maine temperatures)

And I've chosen to go with Bridgestone snow tires: Blizzak DM V2. Local dealer will mount the tires and store my "all season" tires until next spring for a competitive price

Next question: when do people in mid-coast (Belfast area) usually put on their snow tires? Don't want to wear the tires on warm dry pavement nor wait until snow is actually falling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 03:42 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
I am just a visitor, but I was up in Camden/Rockport in mid-November, and it was cold, but not real cold (mid 40-ish for highs, I was just wearing a fleece sweater), and no snow on the ground anyways. I think you'd be okay switching to snow tires around Thanksgiving-Dec. 1st timeframe... or if you wanted to be conservative, mid-November. First snowfalls come at a different time every year.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:24 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,944 times
I use the same tires in winter in Maine on either of my 4wd trucks that a suitable for use in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina in winter. Good move on the anti freeze though. I believe snow tires are more for 2wd vehicles. I have BF Goodrich All Terrains get me around fine in my 2500 Diesel Silverado High Country, or my GMC Sierra 1500 Z71. Hope this is helpful

Old 10-22-2019, 01:40 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Welcome to Maine, finally. You will be fine with your existing tires with your Jeep until we have ice. That will be December in Belfast. Blizzaks are great on ice.

That said, you will be fine with your Jeep most of the time with nearly any tire. Real winter tires have that extra margin that keeps you in the road and prevent fender benders,

Old 10-22-2019, 09:02 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
Winter tires are not just for snow and ice. They are for temperature. If you see them as snow tires you are thinking of the old formulations prior to about 20 years ago. When the temperature drops below 30, summer tires get increasingly harder, and eventually at about 20F have the hardness of marble. So the tires no longer stick well to the road.

Summer tires are good to about 40-45F, before they get too hard to adequately hold the road in wet/dry conditions. Winter tires are good to about 50-55 before they get to soft to the not wear really badly.

Put your winter tires on when the daytime temps drop to about 44. If you do a lot of night driving, put them on when the night temps drop regularly below 38.

Go to YOUtube if you want to learn about winter tires.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:21 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLogger View Post
I'm In Maine
Congratulations

Quote:
... and the EZPass transponder is on windshield
Do you really think you will need that?

I make my way South to where toll booths exist maybe once a year.

Quote:
... Local dealer will mount the tires and store my "all season" tires until next spring for a competitive price
I store our tires in our carport. I never thought about paying someone to store them for me.

Quote:
... Next question: when do people in mid-coast (Belfast area) usually put on their snow tires? Don't want to wear the tires on warm dry pavement nor wait until snow is actually falling
I am not sure about that. I live inland, the last week of October is about the best time to swap tires here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I use the same tires in winter in Maine on either of my 4wd trucks that a suitable for use in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina in winter. Good move on the anti freeze though. I believe snow tires are more for 2wd vehicles. I have BF Goodrich All Terrains get me around fine in my 2500 Diesel Silverado High Country, or my GMC Sierra 1500 Z71. Hope this is helpful
I think the real difference is how much do you drive on ice?

As the pavement temps drop your tires harden and refuse to flex. Winter tires are made to grip the ice when it is -20F.

NC may see some snow, but how many weeks does it stay in the negative temps?

Old 10-22-2019, 01:40 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
And I've chosen to go with Bridgestone snow tires: Blizzak DM V2.
Awesome tires! Love the treads on them.

Quote:
Next question: when do people in mid-coast (Belfast area) usually put on their snow tires? Don't want to wear the tires on warm dry pavement nor wait until snow is actually falling
Since it takes literally same day (less than 2 hrs) or sometimes a next day appointment to put tires on, I just look at the weather models (forecasts) and wait 1 week before the 1st snows over 2" are being shown. Why waste them when you don't need them. Spring time is trickier when to take them off. Sometimes it just keeps on being cold and snowing into March & April.

With that said... There is no snow coming to Mid Coast Maine there yet. A little light snow on the 31st but no snowstorm or event yet. So you still got time to hold off.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:04 PM

I have two AWD vehicles(a Subaru and a Equinox). Since they both have really good 3 season tires, I put the snows on the one I drive the most right after T-Giving, and the tires on the second in the second week of December. This guarantees if we get a really warm spell of 60 degree weather, I will have a car with tires designed for that.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:32 PM

63 posts, read 63,655 times
Default EZPass

Might be living in Maine but i still need to go to New Jersey a few times a year to see Mom. That means toll roads in Maine, NH, Mass, NJ and bridge across Hudson River. Never had to bother with tolls driving from SC to NJ, except for one bridge across Delaware River And my frequent trips to Maine w/o an EZPass

I remember years ago throwing quarters into the NJ Parkway toll baskets. Throw a quarter, miss the basket, honk your horn and drive on. Most toll booths had a lot of horn blowing, maybe because the guy riding shotgun would try to throw the quarter out his window, over the roof of the car and into the basket, a trick I never perfected

Old 10-23-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Might be living in Maine but i still need to go to New Jersey a few times a year to see Mom. That means toll roads in Maine, NH, Mass, NJ and bridge across Hudson River. Never had to bother with tolls driving from SC to NJ, except for one bridge across Delaware River And my frequent trips to Maine w/o an EZPass
Don’t take that route.

Get off on Rt 2 in Mass, go west to Route 87 in NY. Go south on 87 to 287 in NJ.

It looks longer but its shorter that going through all the traffic on 95. In the past 13 years going back to PA that route just got worse and worse and worse.

You will still need your ezpass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine