Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 09:38 AM

846 posts, read 1,019,944 times

Advertisements

I’m sort of paying attention to it. At present my wife is working in various sites all over India and will be home in two weeks, lotsa variables to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 10:32 AM

12,417 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Ahhh... well I can see why you might be concerned. I would think that the best thing to do would be to try not to get sick (like my current Lyme strategy). They say this is most likely spread through respiratory droplets - take similar steps to those one would use to try to avoid catching flu or pneumonia... good nutrition and rest to support the immune system, maybe avoid shaking hands, practice rigorous and frequent handwashing with soap and warm water, especially before eating, cover food and drink in public places, etc.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:19 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
From The Ellsworth American https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/fe...all-time-high/

Old 01-24-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I have Lyme disease, it has severely impacted my life, I found out Friday my beloved dog has it as well. A vaccine is too late for me I suppose though I will ask my doctor if there are any benefits to taking it post contact, I hope one becomes available for others though. It is easy to say something doesn't work having not tried it. I realize many of these medicines are expensive but personally I would do anything to get my energy back. I'm glad I have excellent health insurance as a result of my employment providing it too me in my retirement. If for some reason should that ever disappear, I could always (ugh) go to the VA. My former employer have already made some "adjustments" to the free plan since I retired and I have had to buy a monthly supplement for $85.00 dollars which is still lightyears better than most. I do not take for granted that many are not as fortunate, this country needs to have free health care for all. I believe we are the only major nation in the world who has not. My wife has not lived in New Zealand for many decades, but she has free health insurance in that country as a birthright (soap box over). If a vaccine becomes available, I would encourage anyone that may ever come in contact with a tick, to run-not walk to your healthcare provided once it is on the market. Lyme disease puts something on you Ajax can't take off!
Sorry to hear you have lyme disease. When you were bit, did you send the tick for testing and did you take doxycycline? I seem to remember a post where you talk about trying to make sure all your skin is covered before heading to areas where you might get a tick on you and a bite. I am wondering about your dog. Did your dog have the lyme lepto vaccine annually? I am wondering if the dog got lyme disease even though he/she had the vaccine. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:08 PM

I believe he did have that vaccine. I do not have the paperwork at my disposal at present to give you a definitive answer. I take him for his shots every year. He is cleared for international travel if that means anything too you. I assume that he has had immunization for every thing. He is 13 years old and it could have happened anytime in his life I suppose.I went to the Calais hospital ( a far cry from John Hopkins) after I had removed the tick and disposed it because at that time I was unaware I was infected until the target billboard appeared on my arm. That is when I sought treatment.I was treated with antibiotics. I do not think they were very aware of Lyme disease treatment protocol at that time, to be honest neither was I unfortunately. Thanks for your concern.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:39 AM

A relative had the red target circles appear after a tick bite, went to doctor and took doxycycline.... after doing some research, insisted on 4 weeks of treatment instead of what appears to be the normally prescribed 3 weeks... something to consider if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:42 AM

I most definitely did not have three or four weeks of treatment. Again, many thanks for my and Bubba’s welfare.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:42 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,693,959 times
I think a main issue with the original vaccine was that it only covered a very few strains out of 100 or so, giving people that false sense of security. A lot of conflicts of interest with that too, from what I recall.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:26 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ch-ncna1122756

Old 07-13-2022, 06:43 AM

12,417 posts, read 9,510,794 times
An update on Lyme disease vaccines under development. Pfizer is partnering with Valneva on their VLA15 vaccine, soon to begin Phase III clinical trials (including some participants in Maine), and there is an effort to adapt a canine vaccine for humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrLC...JhNqZ_cN5Z0T6w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: