U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 07:36 AM

10,232 posts, read 16,154,804 times

Advertisements

I'm sewing missing buttons, sewing up the holes in pockets, patching holes in coveralls and long term repairs as my grandparents did. No switch is going to magically bring us back to normal. The world has changed forever. Most people don't understand that.

There is a web site with a huge amount of valuable and factual information. The authors are experts in their fields. It is not a chat room. You cannot comment.

Alpha Disaster Contingencies

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

I have done every single thing on this list except the last, but I have looked it in the face and did not blink.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 11:55 AM

2,358 posts, read 1,134,506 times
Listing Auctions on Ebay every day.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:20 PM

616 posts, read 1,087,905 times
Walked the Tannery Loop Road in Amherst along the West Branch of the Union River. Saw a butterfly. Lots of trees down. Heard generators running.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:10 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,197,558 times
When someone is trying to be helpful, would it hurt to say thank you. I think more people need to be thankful for what they have instead of complaining about what they don't have (If you don't have the virus, seems appropriate to be thankful for not having it.). An attitude of gratitude can be very uplifting.... year round--not just at Thanksgiving.

Need some inspiration? Google attitude of gratitude. Here is a link to one article I found. http://executivesecretary.com/an-attitude-of-gratitude/

Old 04-12-2020, 01:29 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,197,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Can you get fresh cake yeast?
I can't find any up here, there aren't even any bakeries.
Mail order is $58 lb. Amazon and people say its stale/dead.
Thats more than 2 x 30lb cases cost in Boston.

Fresh cake yeast seems to have fizzled out in Maine, dry yeast is useless.
You have something to look forward to after the stay-at-home order is lifted--the adventurous quest for fresh cake yeast, possibly a trip to Boston. If you ask nicely, maybe someone knows where you can find it in Maine and will share that knowledge with you... In the meantime, consider making something that doesn't require fresh cake yeast.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:27 AM

5,469 posts, read 2,179,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
You have something to look forward to after the stay-at-home order is lifted--the adventurous quest for fresh cake yeast, possibly a trip to Boston. If you ask nicely, maybe someone knows where you can find it in Maine and will share that knowledge with you... In the meantime, consider making something that doesn't require fresh cake yeast.
yep, thats what I've been doing but requests for a croissant video persist. oh well.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:30 PM

A quick trip into Ellsworth for shopping, a big event! There’s a great specialty food and cooking store in Ellsworth called Rooster Brother and they are open for business for curbside pick up. I bought all the ingredients for Puttanesca, a bottle of good red and a ciabatta. And 2 pounds of their coffee that they roast right there. Quick trip to the post office followed by a mad dash through Hannaford. Only had to wait about five minutes to get in. All the folks who work there are so friendly during this stressful time.

To offset the aforementioned puttanesca I walked 3 miles along the Sunrise Trail With a side trip up the hill behind the high school to the water department standpipe. A good Maine day.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:48 PM

6,200 posts, read 11,963,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
A quick trip into Ellsworth for shopping, a big event! There’s a great specialty food and cooking store in Ellsworth called Rooster Brother and they are open for business for curbside pick up. I bought all the ingredients for Puttanesca, a bottle of good red and a ciabatta. And 2 pounds of their coffee that they roast right there. Quick trip to the post office followed by a mad dash through Hannaford. Only had to wait about five minutes to get in. All the folks who work there are so friendly during this stressful time.
What time is dinner? I'm on my way? oh wait... That sounds fantastic! I have spaghetti sauce with hot Italian bear sausage simmering. There's a baguette I made over the weekend that should be used so probably crostini and salad as sides.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:43 PM

Beautiful summer-ish day in Ellsworth. Quiet. Peaceful. Long walk on Rte 179. Good day

Old 04-30-2020, 06:58 AM

6,200 posts, read 11,963,249 times
I planted tomatoes in the high tunnel, cut spinach, pulled radishes and weeds, and cut a few apple twigs to force yesterday. Last night was so beautiful I went out to listen to the night birds and frogs. Days like yesterday make rainy days better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine