Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:08 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times

Advertisements

So..............now that you have made the big move...........what do you think of our fine state

Where did you come from and how long have you been in Maine

what do you like?

what would like to change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 06:15 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Well.....I came to Maine after living in Ma, Fla, Va, and DC (in order) and I have been here 13 years.

what I like:

The good things about Maine have not changed that much since I got here. It is still a rural state with beautiful geography. Low crime, slow pace of life, and a rugged outdoorsy feel that I really enjoy. NO TRAFFIC

What I would like to change:
WINTER!! I'd like to see the state government reduce its size and reduce the overal tax burden. Offer a much bigger homestead exemption for home owners to offset property taxes between private and commercial housing. Reduce the income tax rate to a top rate of 5% and spend money more wisley. So most of the things I would change would be political in nature.

Overall Maine is a unique and special place. No matter where you are in this country people are intrigued when they here I live in Maine and always have grand perception of what Maine is like with the Ocean, Mountains, vast woodland, and lobster...........who am I to make them think anything different.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 PM

4 posts, read 13,719 times
Default I'm outta here

I grew up in eastern MA but spent 6 years in IN. We have been here for nearly 3 years. We are working on moving out as soon as we can. This has definately not been what we hoped.

what do you like?

I love the Maine dinner & LL Bean. The Fryburg fair was fun. I will miss those things

The taxes are horrendous. They are some of the worst per capita.

There is no industry, so there are few good jobs.

The cost of housing is out of line with the earnings in the area.

Everything is centered around tourism. I understand that this is a huge industry up here. Heck, I grew up on cape cod. Still, there is nothing for the locals. Is it too much to ask to have a decent bookstore around?

People act like Portland is a really big city. Sorry folks, it's just not.

I don't want to upset anyone, this is just how I see it. I had really hope that this would be our last move. Still, as soon as my husband gets a new postion, we will be leaving. Great place to visit, I just don't want to live here.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:21 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
I came from Portland, Maine/ I've been her 49 years and 10 months/I think the State legislature needs to grow a set and the taxes are high regardless of what newer residents experiences have been..

Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
So..............now that you have made the big move...........what do you think of our fine state
Love it.

Quote:
Hmm in order here goes:
California, Ct, Va, Ct, Va, Ca, Scotland, Ct, SC, Wa, Italia, Ct

Quote:
what do you like?
Everything.

The rural lifestyle, the low taxes, the low crime, low housing costs, beautiful geography, slow pace of life, no traffic.

How friendly the people are, and how easy it is to get involved with local organizations.

Quote:
Slash state government, legalize pot, lower drinking age.

Looking at other posts, I am not sure what a "Maine dinner" is.

We dislike LL Bean.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:56 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We dislike LL Bean.
Why is that?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Why is that?
Over the years we have commonly seen the LL Bean catalogs. We have never bought anything from LL Bean as it all appeared so expensive. Previous to moving to Maine I have not associated LL Bean with Maine. It was just an expensive line of products.

Since we moved here, we saw the LL Bean in Ellsworth and walked through it. I suppose that it is a tourist market. Imported products, not Maine products, and none of the prices are anywhere in the neighborhood of what we pay for clothing.

I like Pendleton shirts. I have been to Pendleton. The store is in Pendleton at the woolen mill. Americans make all Pendleton products. They are expensive, but they are very high quality and they are American made.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:23 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Born in MI, I have lived in CA, MD, CO, WI, WA (both sides) OR, TX, NC (both sides) and we arrived March 1 of this year.

what do you like?
lower population, lower land prices, smaller towns that actually have stores and the stores actually have useful stuff, real groceries, etc.; friendly folks, unorganized townships, LL Bean outlet stores (they seem to actually have sizes to fit REAL people, not just petite models)

road design (often confusing if not downright contradictory signage, if any, with traffic flowing first right, then left from one block to another just to go straight ahead as you move around right and left turn lanes); street and building signage (often no sign to let you know what street you are ON, just the cross streets being signed; difficult if not missing address numbers on residential as well as commercial building) that makes finding your way around a challenge at times

Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 PM

65 posts, read 155,930 times
In terms of things I'd like to change I think I'd make Maine a little more friendly to outsiders. If Maine is ever going to revitalize itself then it needs to welcome people investment and ideas from outside.

Maine is the most beautiful place I've ever lived - and i even like the winters - but there's a very narrow-minded streak here that hates anything different or any kind of change.

Everywhere on this planet changes, nowhere stays the same for a lifetime - the sooner Maine embraces this then the sooner it'll avoid having to start each summer season hoping and praying that people will pour $4 gas in their cars and drive up the coast.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 PM

65 posts, read 155,930 times
and I love the coast, love the mountains, love the rivers, love the lakes, love the food, love the wildlife, love the fishing, love the clean air, don't mind the taxes as we seem to get something for them, love the low crime rate.... it's a long list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine