Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:47 PM

82 posts, read 274,104 times

Advertisements

How do i go about finding a place to dump trash in the frenchville area? Down here in rhode island the dump is on some sort of crazy course that is making people feel almost ashamed to bring trash there. They are so picky about silly little things, it's making people throw out their garbage anywhere but the dump. In my opinion i think thats the last thing they should be doing. It's kind of like junk yards down here, they are being phased out, all because of some thinking that it's all about the contamination from all the wrecks. Well boy have they missed the point, instead of having it all in one area they are leaving junk cars all over the place, I can't believe that people havn't figured out what a good recycle source junkyards really are. Junkyards have been around for ever, years before any serious recycling started, i think if people really knew just how much was really saved by years of recycling auto parts, and keeping all the junk cars in one place maybe they wouldn't fight so hard to get rid of them.I love junk yards, both for the source of cheap parts and also as a time capsule, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Frenchville has a transfer station on the way to Madawaska. Just out of Frenchville take a right on Starbarn Ave then another right about 100 yards down the road onto Cleveland Ave. Maybe 1/2 mile up it will "Y" and you want to take the left hand road, it is Airport Ave. Keep going up the BIG hill and it is a few miles up the road, by the Northern Aroostook Regional Airport. It will be on the Left hand side, just off the main road.

There are several automotive junkyards in the area.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
The backroads of Maine are starting to accumulate their fair share of cars, appliances, and other trash. The problem isn't a lack of dumps...or recycling centers as they are now called it's the money they now charge to leave something there. Freeport charges $25.00 to drop off an old refrigerator or air conditioner. They recover the freon in them and re-sell it so they make out twice on the deal. People just have a hard time with PAYING to throw away something. Trash pick up will not take appliances but will take just about anything that you can put in a trash bag. I have a plasma cutter that I have used to cut up a dishwasher,two old air conditioners,(both had no freon in them so folks don't go all global warming on me)and a bunch of old wheels and other metal things. Beats paying at the dump

Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I have never lived anywhere before that had free curbside trash pickup. That really surprised us. I am still paying for garbage pickup for our property in Ct, and here it is free.

I love Maine.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 PM

182 posts, read 490,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Trash pick up will not take appliances but will take just about anything that you can put in a trash bag.
Before we moved the list of what you couldn't put out in the trash was about 10 times what was allowed. Sometimes the only solution was "Dark Bagging".

Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM

82 posts, read 274,104 times
bydand, that's funny that's just about where the house is i'm looking at. That might be something i might want to look into a little further. Thanks for the info

Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have never lived anywhere before that had free curbside trash pickup. That really surprised us. I am still paying for garbage pickup for our property in Ct, and here it is free.

I love Maine.

You'd feel at home in Freeport we have to pay independent trash haulers to pick up the trash here.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:44 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You'd feel at home in Freeport we have to pay independent trash haulers to pick up the trash here.
As is done in the other 49 states.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:13 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,007 times
Dump day is a social event in these parts. Saturday morning we load up the recyclables and head up town to do a little dump pickin'. We have an area for people to put out items like clothes, books, sports equipment, coffee machines, etc. Anything left there is for the taking.

Our transfer station only has a minimum charge for certain items. Construction debris, fridges, a/c, etc. Clean wood and wood chips are burned in an outside wood furnace. There is also a waste oil furnace in the transfer station. Both sources keep the heating cost down.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Have to pay up here as well. For both trash pick-up, or taking it to the transfer station yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine