U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2020, 05:52 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,495,748 times

Advertisements

I’ve been to Maine many times, every year over the past 20+ years. Mostly in the “vacation” towns. Seriously thinking of moving to Maine after retirement. Looking for town suggestions. Close proximity to hospitals, supermarkets, restaurants, ect.

I’m thinking along the coast. Either just north or south of Portland. However, wide open to suggestions so I can research even further. I absolutely love Boothbay Harbor, however probably just for vacation. Love Kennebunkport, probably over budget. It’s just my wife & I. Looking for a condo. As far as budget, I’d like to stay below 400k, with additional funds for taxes, HOA fees, ect...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Spanky25; 06-03-2020 at 06:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 06:22 PM

325 posts, read 133,341 times
When we started looking in Maine, I did a lot of research of different towns and whether there were things that looked like a good fit--so things like being near Mofga Heritage Apple Orchard, and being near the coast, and being near a great library and church, are all appealing to us. That being said, we're probably ending up more inland and closer to family, but it sounds like you are pretty wide open.

All things being equal, we'd go to Belfast, but it's too far to drive to things like my granddaughters' school activities, so that won't happen.

But I'd look first for a community that appeals to you, and take a trip and explore within a certain parameter--I drew a circle on a map, given how far I knew the kids would drive to see us.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
When we started looking in Maine, I did a lot of research of different towns and whether there were things that looked like a good fit--so things like being near Mofga Heritage Apple Orchard, and being near the coast, and being near a great library and church, are all appealing to us. That being said, we're probably ending up more inland and closer to family, but it sounds like you are pretty wide open.

All things being equal, we'd go to Belfast, but it's too far to drive to things like my granddaughters' school activities, so that won't happen.

But I'd look first for a community that appeals to you, and take a trip and explore within a certain parameter--I drew a circle on a map, given how far I knew the kids would drive to see us.
I like the “map” idea. Was just trying to get insight on what towns are appealing & which ones to stay away from. I already took a few off the map, lol.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:46 AM

3,324 posts, read 6,228,539 times
Portsmouth New Hampshire meets all your criteria perfectly. just a thought.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Portsmouth New Hampshire meets all your criteria perfectly. just a thought.
Average condo prices are 500k-600k+

Old 06-04-2020, 09:28 AM

3,324 posts, read 6,228,539 times
I've always wondered about Elliot. It seems to be nice and is close, maybe no condos.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:56 AM

1,931 posts, read 4,688,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I’ve been to Maine many times, every year over the past 20+ years. Mostly in the “vacation” towns. Seriously thinking of moving to Maine after retirement. Looking for town suggestions. Close proximity to hospitals, supermarkets, restaurants, ect.

I’m thinking along the coast. Either just north or south of Portland. However, wide open to suggestions so I can research even further. I absolutely love Boothbay Harbor, however probably just for vacation. Love Kennebunkport, probably over budget. It’s just my wife & I. Looking for a condo. As far as budget, I’d like to stay below 400k, with additional funds for taxes, HOA fees, ect...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Many of towns around (and in) Portland have condos that will fit in your budget. I'd suggest that you consider those in order to be close to the amenities that you mentioned in addition to a close proximity the airport if you expect visitors from away.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:24 PM

33 posts, read 18,653 times
I know this is a bit further north then you’re currently looking, but have you considered the midcoast area? Camden is a great town, bustling in the summer with lots of restaurants, plenty of shopping nearby including Hannaford’s, Shaws, Super Walmart, HD, Lowes, etc just down rt 1 in the Rockland area. Penbay Medical Center in Rockport just minutes away. About an hour to Bangor for more shopping and hospital options and a large airport. Portland’s about a 2 hour drive for an easy day trip. If property tax rates are important to you, Camden and Rockport are on the low side, Rockland which is also nice has higher tax rates. I see condo and townhomes for under your limit too.

Regarding Boothbay, that’s a beautiful area too. Shopping options in Boothbay are limited especially in winter and you’ll probably want to drive to Bath/Brunswick for shopping. Summer traffic on Rt 1 through Wiscasset can be a nightmare.

Here’s links for the two local newspapers. Maybe that will help for seeing what the vibe is like.

https://knox.villagesoup.com
https://www.penbaypilot.com

Old 06-06-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooey View Post
I know this is a bit further north then you’re currently looking, but have you considered the midcoast area? Camden is a great town, bustling in the summer with lots of restaurants, plenty of shopping nearby including Hannaford’s, Shaws, Super Walmart, HD, Lowes, etc just down rt 1 in the Rockland area. Penbay Medical Center in Rockport just minutes away. About an hour to Bangor for more shopping and hospital options and a large airport. Portland’s about a 2 hour drive for an easy day trip. If property tax rates are important to you, Camden and Rockport are on the low side, Rockland which is also nice has higher tax rates. I see condo and townhomes for under your limit too.

Regarding Boothbay, that’s a beautiful area too. Shopping options in Boothbay are limited especially in winter and you’ll probably want to drive to Bath/Brunswick for shopping. Summer traffic on Rt 1 through Wiscasset can be a nightmare.

Here’s links for the two local newspapers. Maybe that will help for seeing what the vibe is like.

https://knox.villagesoup.com
https://www.penbaypilot.com
Thanks Fooey!

Love Camden! It’s on the list! Totally agree with you on Boothbay & Wiscasset.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:24 PM

I think I’ll add Brunswick & Rockland to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine