Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
What I have been looking for may not exist. I'm looking for a short (14ft or less) square stern "Rangely Boat" type of canoe. Fairly beamy for stability, low sided for ease in paddling should we choose to do so, made of either abs or fiberglass. Ever heard of such a thing?

So take a 16-foot fibreglas canoe of your choice, cut off the appropriate amount, and slap in a square stern made of marine plywood reinforced with epoxy-glass.

Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
So take a 16-foot fibreglas canoe of your choice, cut off the appropriate amount, and slap in a square stern made of marine plywood reinforced with epoxy-glass.

Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.
That sounds like work CG. I want one all done(lazy)

Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
Quote:
What I have been looking for may not exist. I'm looking for a short (14ft or less) square stern "Rangely Boat" type of canoe. Fairly beamy for stability, low sided for ease in paddling should we choose to do so, made of either abs or fiberglass. Ever heard of such a thing?
i have a 14' cedar strip my dad and i built when i was in the 7th grade.
its one of my most prized possetions.me and my oldest son built one last year
this year its my little girls turn to build one .only four more to build.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i have a 14' cedar strip my dad and i built when i was in the 7th grade.
its one of my most prized possetions.me and my oldest son built one last year
this year its my little girls turn to build one .only four more to build.
You're a great dad as yours was to you. Your kids will remember building those canoes for the rest of their lives! Good for you!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
You're a great dad as yours was to you. Your kids will remember building those canoes for the rest of their lives! Good for you!
its been allmost 40 years that ive had it and i still remember every moment
of building it.i only wish he was still around to see his grand children do the same with me. thanks for your kind words they mean allot.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:22 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
When my parents bought the resort on Lake George in 1955 where I was lucky to grow up with that came with 50 Old Town canoes. I spend my youth fixing them and in the 70's my father and I removed unrepairable canvas and turned them into fiberglass canoes.

We then bought a bunch of Grumman alum canoes cause they were the best....the only alum canoe at the time with the rivet heads on the inside so unlike others if you hit a rock the rivet didn't get popped off and then leak.

Unfortuantely Mad River Canoe got bought by a company in NC about 10 years ago and the company moved from here to there from the MRV a couple of years later.

There is a new canoe company starting up the MRV. They recently cleared the dificult Act 250 hurdles so they can start building them.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
This brings back some memories. Aluminum Grumman canoe...durable but don't they love to stick to rocks. It's almost like glue! I was fortune enough to know a local canoe builder. He built cedar ribbed and planked canoes. Early on they were canvassed, but anyone who has used a canvas canoe knows how much work they are to maintain. More than once they were patched along the Allagash using spruce gum. By the time I was into canoe building we used fiberglass. The gentleman I speak of had a solid form fashioned after a White canoe. It was a twenty footer. It has such graceful lines. Also super stable. Good for lakes as well as rapids. The 20 footer would float in three inches of water...see aluminum sticking to rocks above!! One of the famous styles of canoe up this way is the Grand Laker. It's also usually a 20 footer with a square stern. Used for salmon fishing on Grand Lake and one of the most stable vessels around. Don't remember the guy who used to make them, but if you ever get a chance to buy an original Old Town, White or Grand Laker, make sure you have your wallet since they are worth a lot of $$. Remember the commercial where Old Town dropped one of their plastic canoes off the top of their six story building? You wouldn't want to to that with a cedar ribbed canoe, but the ride is so much superior in my eyes!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I have been canoeing in Maine for 63 years. One day my wife asked, "Why do you have four canoes?" I replied, "Well, a golfer doesn't have just one club." She walked off muttering. You have to be ready for such moments.

I have a 20 foot Grumman which has a cargo capacity of over 1,000 pounds. It has been down the Allagash and I carried it around Allagash falls on a carrying yoke. You don't see many 20 footers with a carrying yoke. My smallest canoe is a 14 foot cedar strip that I built myself in 1985. It weighs 52 pounds and is great for fishing small streams and beaver flowages. Right now my fleet numbers eight watercraft of various sizes.

The ice went off my lake last night. My camp is on the highest lake in the St. Croix watershed. I drove in to camp today and broke my through the last few snow drifts. Yes, I drove in snow today. This is northern Maine.

The same reasoning for four canoes applies to my snowshoe collection. I have five pairs and each is just right for certain conditions.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have been canoeing in Maine for 63 years. One day my wife asked, "Why do you have four canoes?" I replied, "Well, a golfer doesn't have just one club." She walked off muttering. You have to be ready for such moments.

I have a 20 foot Grumman which has a cargo capacity of over 1,000 pounds. It has been down the Allagash and I carried it around Allagash falls on a carrying yoke. You don't see many 20 footers with a carrying yoke. My smallest canoe is a 14 foot cedar strip that I built myself in 1985. It weighs 52 pounds and is great for fishing small streams and beaver flowages. Right now my fleet numbers eight watercraft of various sizes.

The ice went off my lake last night. My camp is on the highest lake in the St. Croix watershed. I drove in to camp today and broke my through the last few snow drifts. Yes, I drove in snow today. This is northern Maine.

The same reasoning for four canoes applies to my snowshoe collection. I have five pairs and each is just right for certain conditions.
I tried telling my wife that we could get rid of the cars, trucks, snowmobiles and motorcycles and buy a nice Bell Jet Ranger Helicopter for about 1.2 million. She just walked away muttering too!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I tried telling my wife that we could get rid of the cars, trucks, snowmobiles and motorcycles and buy a nice Bell Jet Ranger Helicopter for about 1.2 million. She just walked away muttering too!
THAT WOULD BE AWSOME .
PUT PONTOONS ON IT AND YOU HAVE A FISHING BUGGY TO.
OR JUST STRAP 2 16' OLD TOWN'S ON IT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine