Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:15 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times

Advertisements

It's a New England thing. Adding beets to your boiled dinner and you can make the most delicious Red Flannel Hash with the left overs.
  • 1/2 c. rye meal or all purpose flour
  • 1/2 c. corn meal
  • 1/2 c. coarse whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • ]3/4 c. molasses
  • 1 c. sour milk
Mix the flours, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. Stir in molasses and milk. Mix well. Grease a 1 1/2 quart mold or 2 smaller ones. Fill not more than 2/3 full. Steam for a few hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 12:20 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
Is lobster role a Maine dish? I've had lobster roll in ME and CT. I definitely prefer the ME version (mayo!). YUM! The CT roll was just plain lobster, with a little lemon squeezed on top.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:37 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Is lobster role a Maine dish? I've had lobster roll in ME and CT. I definitely prefer the ME version (mayo!). YUM! The CT roll was just plain lobster, with a little lemon squeezed on top.
Yes the lobster plays an important role in the lobster roll. I'd assume the lobster roll originated here but no one knows the exact history. A little(real) mayo, lettuce, and a dash of paprika on a buttered, grilled roll and THAT'S IT. Simple is better in this case. Lemon on a lobster roll??? What is this... Florida??? It's like putting celery in clam chowder!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
It's a New England thing. Adding beets to your boiled dinner and you can make the most delicious Red Flannel Hash with the left overs.
  • 1/2 c. rye meal or all purpose flour
  • 1/2 c. corn meal
  • 1/2 c. coarse whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • ]3/4 c. molasses
  • 1 c. sour milk
Mix the flours, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. Stir in molasses and milk. Mix well. Grease a 1 1/2 quart mold or 2 smaller ones. Fill not more than 2/3 full. Steam for a few hours.
See there you go! I knew someone would have a brown bread recipe! Thanks
dmyankee. Agree on the red flannel hash ...trouble is we hardly ever have enough left over to bother with!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,876 times
Im From The County So For Me Its A Nice Thick Steak And Home Grown Taters,home Made Bread,home Brew,and Brocly.
Oh Did I Mention Home Brew?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:56 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
What is considered to be traditional food around Maine? I am aware of fried clam dinners and lobster dinners and Dunkin' Donuts , but there has to be something more then that? A bean supper? What kind of foods did your mom or dad cook when you were a child.
My 3 brothers and I grew up every sunday night having waffles with strips of bacon cooked into them, melted butter on top with icecream and pure maple syrup. Damn - drooling just thinking about it. We would eat and watch Wonderful World of Disney.

Homemade icecream. We got milk from the farm down the road. A gallon would have 3 or 4" of cream on the top. We siphoned it off and made icecream. So good.

Saturday night was baked beans with red hotdogs and brown bread. Haven't had that in years.

Gonna stop at the supermarket on the way home.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:12 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
My 3 brothers and I grew up every sunday night having waffles with strips of bacon cooked into them, melted butter on top with icecream and pure maple syrup. Damn - drooling just thinking about it. We would eat and watch Wonderful World of Disney.

Homemade icecream. We got milk from the farm down the road. A gallon would have 3 or 4" of cream on the top. We siphoned it off and made icecream. So good.

Saturday night was baked beans with red hotdogs and brown bread. Haven't had that in years.

Gonna stop at the supermarket on the way home.
WE MUST BE RELATED THAT SOUNDS LIKE OUR HOUSE RIGHT DOWN TO THE RED HOTDOGS.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:38 AM

513 posts, read 896,972 times
Every Saturday for dinner we had red hot dogs and beans with brown bread. Italian sandwiches are a Maine food, a foot long roll with cheese, ham, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, pickles, olives, salt, pepper and olive oil. If you asked for it outside the state you would ask for something like a submarine sandwich. New England boiled dinner was a Sunday favorite. I remember picking blueberries for yummy blueberry muffins.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
Well, here in Maine, we grew up on fried bologna, boiled dinner, hotdogs, beans, and macaroni scallop, steamers in the summer that we dug. Honestly I am not sure what would be all maine in my house, but I remember making a mean PBJ for all the neighbor kids on Saturday's and a container of "oh yeah koolaid".

Tami~peachie

Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,768 times
Quote:
boiled dinner
must be thing for colder climate, to keep the house warm. living close to equator most of my life, we tend to keep the cooking with heat as quick as posible to minimize heat up the house. will have to learn how to do boiled dinner when move to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine