Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 11:50 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

This morning I met with a group of my neighbors, while there I asked for their thoughts on this project.

One facet of this project is that it will require the power line through our town to be up-graded to a three-phase line. Which presumably will mean that we should see far fewer power outages. Currently we experience at least one power outage every month, and everyone here is accustomed to losing grid power. There is some concern that fewer power outages might cause more people to want to migrate here, as a group they are all firmly against anything that might draw more people to live here.

Another facet is the EV charging station. We all recognize that fossil-fueled vehicles are being phased out, and that one day we will all be using EVs. Right now, none of us have an EV. This topic has mixed opinions. When the day comes that we are all using EVs it would be nice to have a charging station here in our township. But the presence of a charging station might lure Tesla drivers to drive through our township, and that idea scares residents.

They all agree that they do not want anything here that would increase the population of our township.

The final thought is that since my land is private land, nobody has a say in the decision other than me [and I guess my wife].

Access to this proposed site is deeded easement [a dirt jeep trail], I have allowed the entrance to overgrow to be point where it is nearly impossible for anyone to see. [Five years ago the NJ mob wanted to construct a Municipal Waste garbage incinerator on the land behind my land and bury the ash in a peat bog, they were planning on paving this easement. We were fortunate to be able to defeat them at the DEP hearings.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 08:49 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,019 times
Just a thought... How would prospective newcomers know that the number of power outages had decreased? For any reason? Does not compute. (But if a big issue, then up the lease $ a bit so you can buy everyone an empty outdoor generator housing to put in their front yards, and you can tell outsiders that those are for the daily power rationing LOL. And just have someone put a stripped Tesla in their front yard with the sign "Tesla Parts - Cheep".)

Often when given the chance, folks will express more misgivings than they may really care strongly about; it is hard to tell for sure. But it is nice of you to ask their opinion, and plus get the idea out there to get used to. I see more and more solar 'farms' in our travels, and they do as you expect: they just sit there. 35 years back, we had our 1st house for sale and someone wanted to buy it as a shelter house for developmentally challenged young adults. I asked my neighbors if they would be bothered, and the lady across the road with 2 kids asked that I not. I complied... that cost me several more months of mortgage payments awaiting another buyer, but I felt I served my neighbors right. (And in modern times, it would probably be a zoning matter with reviews anyway.... I just did it informally.)

Old 07-18-2020, 09:21 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Just a thought... How would prospective newcomers know that the number of power outages had decreased? For any reason? Does not compute.
They are just concerned about growth.

We are all accustomed to frequent power outages, this is the East Coast afterall.

They fear that if we had no power outages like the big cities experience, or high speed internet access, it might draw people to migrate here.

It may not be rational in your eyes, I get that. But it is rational in their eyes, and these are the neighbors that I have.

Thankfully homes here tend to be a mile apart or more. None of my neighbors standing on their property can see my house. I can not see any of their houses. We like this sense of seclusion. More houses mean they must be closer together, before taxes start to go up.

If the grid goes down for a week, it does not really effect anyone's routine. It is just a normal part of living this rural in a forest.
Commercial power lines access about a third of the parcels in our township. I was hoping that the idea of up-grading the one power line that we do have, would been seen as an improvement.

Nobody here thinks of resale value of their homes. Most of my neighbors grew-up here and they inherited their homes. They have been here for many generations. Some of them brag about how many generations they have lived in the same town. Does 'seventh generation' ring a bell? It is a normal thing in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: