Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
We ask tenants to take moving into consideration when they're putting oil in the tank. We've had a couple of tenants who would have been happy to fill the 500 gallon tank right before leaving if we'd been required to buy the oil. We would make a decision on purchasing the oil based on the individual and circumstances.
yeah...we did take it into consideration, it was that the oil company didn't feel the need to until we called them for the third time and screamed at them to stop service!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
If your new home is going to use fuel oil for heat also, why not ask the new oil company to come and pump the tank at your old rental house and then deliver a new, full tank to the new home.

Oil companies have trucks that have pumps that will suck as well as blow. It will probably cost you a little bit, but it will likely save you the cost of roughly half a tank of oil.

Good to know...I'll check into that...thanks!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
I bought a house in NC a few years back and being new to oil heating, never considered the fuel during negotiations. All my prior homes had been natural gas or electric heat, so no limited fuel capacities. After closing the seller told me there was a little over half a tank so I would not have to buy any for several months. He gifted it to me and I could have been knocked over with a feather cause I had been blissfully ignorant of the possibility of waking up in the cold the next morning.

In home buying/selling, everything is negotiable. In a rental situation, everything is predetermined by the lease or subject to debate after the fact with no clear position aside from who has the most to loose. Since the tenant is normally wanting security deposit back and the landlord has the ability to withhold some or all (legality notwithstanding) there is an unequal power position on the side of the landlord. This makes it difficult for the tenant to come out ahead unless there is a good personal relationship in the situation.

Good luck and let us know if you discover any regulations, statute, or common practice that covers this scenario since the lease apparently does not.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:10 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
My guess that it does fall under the abandoned property clause and it's the landlords property to sell if I leave it, unless we figure something out otherwise.

Believe me, the state doesn't let the landlord just "sell" what ever is left behind and keep the Money, even though...thats the way it should be. We are supposed itemize, appraise, store, and make contact. Then if the property is over a certain amount....and we are actually able to sell it(9/10 its crap) we have pay so much to the state...though we are allowed to deduct for expenses and monies owed.

You could call the oil company and tell them that you have moved.....you notified them numerous times NOT to deliver, and that your not responsible for the payment of the oil.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:36 PM

105 posts, read 286,660 times
Hi all, new here.

In our last lease, the oil tank was full when we moved in, and it was expected to be full when we left. But, I believe this was in our lease agreement. How much oil was in the tank when you moved in?

Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntin View Post
Hi all, new here.

In our last lease, the oil tank was full when we moved in, and it was expected to be full when we left. But, I believe this was in our lease agreement. How much oil was in the tank when you moved in?

It was empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine