U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 10:01 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,468,999 times

Advertisements

Maine is on my list of places to hit on my journey to visit all 50 states. I live in VA so the idea would be to drive up the east coast. I'd be stopping in several states on my way up.

I know Maine stretches pretty high north & more than likely I would not go that far up just because I'd have to come back down & time would probably not allow that. Looking at a map I'm guessing Augusta area might be the furthest I drive up.

If you were going to recommend some must see spots south of Augusta what would they be?

I love taking pictures (not professionally) so beautiful areas worth checking out are good. I do like history but I doubt I'd have time for a museum. But if a particular building/town was significant I would be interested.

I'm not sure which direction I would be arriving from when visiting Maine. I will either come in through New Hampshire after going through Vermont. OR I would be coming up from Boston and then I would leave Maine followed by NH & Vermont.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 04:59 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,100,647 times
Acadia National Park. It would be foolish to drive all the way to Maine and not go there.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:57 AM

29 posts, read 9,143 times
When are you going?

Acadia NP is one of the obvious spots, but its about 3 hours NE of Portland and outside of your Augusta-line. If you do decide to go further up that way, I recommend Mt. Battie in Camden. It's a drive-to-the-summit attraction, and can give you some really amazing shots of the ocean and Camden. Also, in Bucksport I would recommend Fort Knox and the observatory next to it. It's a really neat old stone fort that you can walk through, and the observatory next to it has an elevator that takes you to the top of the bridge to peer out in all directions.

An attraction I'd recommend that is not as far north is the Giants Stair Trail in Harpswell. My wife and I spent half a day there walking (and climbing) a really great example of New England rocky shores. It was quiet, serene, and beautiful on the coast. Bring breakfast or lunch and enjoy the sights.

If time is really a big factor, then I honestly wouldn't move too far past Portland. Most of the great coastal sites are on peninsulas, and that can eat up time backtracking. Portland Head Lighthouse (and the surrounding rocky coast and park) would be a time-saving stop off right before you get to Portland. Also the Old Port area of Portland is a great place to urban explore.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:55 PM

6,350 posts, read 7,351,905 times
How much time do you have? There are a lot of wonderful places to visit.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:27 AM

765 posts, read 763,051 times
Their going to need at least 14 days to quarantine.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,468,999 times
Thanks for the replies.

First off this isn't happening anytime soon but trying to get as much information as I can right now so that when I begin traveling I can figure out which trips to take when.

Obviously because of weather I would not be doing a trip like this prior to June & after September. Ideally I want to go to Fenway Park on this road trip so it would be doing baseball season.

As far as how long? Considering it's the furthest north I'll be going it's hard to designate more than 1.5 days. It would be different if I could keep going north & head back down through Maine again but that just can't happen.

I know there will be states that I just can't spend but so much time in and given the location of Maine this will probably be one of them.

Update:
So I said I can't see myself staying more than 1.5 days. I didn't know Boston is within a day drive from NYC. Approx 4-5 hours. I could go straight from Boston to Maine & allocate only 4-5 hour drive. If Maine had some really good stuff to see compared to Vermont & NH I could allocate more time.

The idea would be to leave Main and head to NH & Vermond to NY.

I realize after thinking about this that I'll have more opportunities to go to NY etc. in the future but Maine/NH/Vermont I might never have a good enough reason to visit so maybe I should visit there longer. Which would also mean I can go further up into Maine. I don't see a point in spending just 1 night in Maine since it's so far up north.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:22 PM

548 posts, read 589,652 times
With the exception of the White Mountains, you can skip NH.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:21 PM

2,612 posts, read 910,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

So I said I can't see myself staying more than 1.5 days. I didn't know Boston is within a day drive from NYC. Approx 4-5 hours. I could go straight from Boston to Maine & allocate only 4-5 hour drive. If Maine had some really good stuff to see compared to Vermont & NH I could allocate more time.

The idea would be to leave Main and head to NH & Vermond to NY.

I realize after thinking about this that I'll have more opportunities to go to NY etc. in the future but Maine/NH/Vermont I might never have a good enough reason to visit so maybe I should visit there longer. Which would also mean I can go further up into Maine. I don't see a point in spending just 1 night in Maine since it's so far up north.

Just to tell you know, NYC is closed. Midtown and Greenwich Village is a ghost town. Restaurants are still closed. You'll have to dine outside. If it's cold or rainy, you'll have to get take out and eat in your hotel room. Don't get me started on the increase of crime.

Maine is a much better option - Portland's Peaks Island is fun for a walk. Orchard Beach is suppose to be nice. Kennebunkport is great and you can take a whale watching cruise from it.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:23 PM

3,805 posts, read 1,555,419 times
If your time is limited, I'd focus on the coast, and starting from the south:

- Ogunquit beach, walk the Marginal Way and see Nubble Light
- Cape Elizabeth - Two Lights State Park and Portland Head lighthouse
- Portland - the harborfront and pick out a nice restaurant from TripAdvisor, pick up Rte 1 north of Brunswick
- Maine Maritime museum in Bath is nice, can have a meal on Front St...
- Camden/Rockport/Rockland - overnight 2 nights here.. Owl's Head Transportation Museum, Owl's Head light, Camden Harbor, Rockport harbor, Rockland Harbor and walk the breakwater, hike up to Ocean Overlook... have dinner on the harborfront in Camden, if time, check out Megunticook Lake, Fernald's Neck Preserve and Beech Hill Preserve
- Stop in at Belfast for lunch and walk the harborfront
- Mt Desert Island - overnight 2 nights here, I'd suggest staying in Southwest Harbor... walk downtown in Bar Harbor and get lunch, drive up Cadillac Mtn and take your time to really take in the scene, walk around by Thunder Hole, have lunch/dinner at Jordan Pond and eat outside, take in the pond and the Bubbles... swim in Echo Lake, walk the Causeway in Norwood Cove at Southwest Harbor and have a meal at Beals Lobster Pier on Southwest Harbor...walk the Wonderland Trail, see Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse and Bass Harbor, have a meal at Thruston's Lobster Pound on Bass Harbor...
- Come back via I-95

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-01-2020 at 10:32 PM..

Old 09-01-2020, 10:38 PM

3,805 posts, read 1,555,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Acadia National Park. It would be foolish to drive all the way to Maine and not go there.
Agreed - if you're only going to see 1 thing, I'd take the express route via I-95 both ways and just drive to Mt Desert Island... if you have a little more time, touch on the sandy coast and linger on the midcoast on your way up...

And NH and VT are also very pretty... the trouble is that the three states are next to each other and there aren't any good highways running east-west , Rte 302 would be a likely suspect and that's just a 2-lane road. So if you're in a hurry, seeing all three states isn't that practical. As much as it pains me to say it, I'd focus on Maine and skip NH and VT if time is limited... do NH and VT on another trip...

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-01-2020 at 10:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or