Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 05:41 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,312 times

Advertisements

Yesterday was a long day for me. The day before, I loaded up my car with as much of my crap as I could, making sure to put mostly lightweight stuff since I would be bringing it all up a steep and narrow flight of stairs by myself. I could only see a sliver of light from the back window, so had to rely on my side mirrors.

Drove 8 hours to my new apartment in Maine, and was unexpectedly met by my new neighbors, who helped me get everything upstairs. They even gave me some vegetables from their garden. Then I went and bought a loveseat that I found on Craigslist for a song, and it just barely fit in my SUV. Got to the apartment and again my neighbors helped me! In fact, they came running over when I drove up, "Did you get it? Let's see!" It was so much fun strategizing how to get this short but rather bulky sofa up the stairs. And we did it!

I slept very soundly last night - my first night in my lovely new apartment!

Today I did a bit of shopping at Odd Lots, Walmart, and a food co-op. On the way back, I picked up a little wooden bench (another Craigslist find!) and it looks great in front of the kitchen window. I have also been sorting through the bags and containers I brought, putting things in the appropriate rooms, and rearranging the sofa. I have now tried it in front of every wall in the living room, but like it best in the spot where I first put it.

I'm sleeping here again tonight before I go back to load up the car again. I love being in Maine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 05:55 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Sounds like you got lucky with the neighbors in your house - nice! That can make a huge difference in how you feel about the place. And re the shopping, that's one of the nice things about Thomaston, it's picturesque and quiet, but you still have tons of shops in bustling Rockland, just one town over.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 08-02-2020 at 06:11 PM..

Old 08-03-2020, 05:09 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Welcome home!

Old 08-03-2020, 07:35 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Congratulations on finding the right apartment and realizing your dream to move to Maine!

Old 08-03-2020, 07:41 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Congrats. Offer your neighbors beer
And they’ll be friends for life

Old 08-03-2020, 09:55 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Congrats. Offer your neighbors beer
And they’ll be friends for life
What brand? I've always wondered if I was in a situation what's a good choice for Mainers.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:53 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
What brand?
COLD works best.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:42 PM

I don't think they're beer drinkers. That's all I'll say about that, haha!

Old 08-09-2020, 06:18 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
"What brand? I've always wondered if I was in a situation what's a good choice for Mainers."

When the time comes, Sam Adams or Allagash White.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:36 PM

Just a quick update...

I made about three trips (or was it four? I lost count!) down to my storage unit in NJ, filled up my SUV with whatever I knew I could carry upstairs myself, and back again to Maine. It's amazing how much crap a person can accumulate. For my last batch of belongings, which included my mattress, a few pieces of furniture, and heavy boxes, I rented a huge van, paid a hard-working reliable guy I know to help me empty the storage unit and load the van, got a relative to drive it while I led the way in my car, and finally brought the last of all my things up to my new place in Maine. Found a great, energetic helper here, through a referral, and he unloaded my vehicles and ran all my boxes, etc., up my narrow steep staircase in record time. Plus he is super nice. I'm happy to recommend him to anyone who is looking for help like that - just DM me.

So, I'm officially all moved in.

The storage unit wasn't that big, but I'm surrounded by boxes and bins now! Funny thing is, although my storage unit was full, very little of it was furniture. So, I've been hitting Craigslist, thrift stores, and discount stores like crazy, and have gotten some really great deals. I've driven far for some of these things, just to get a tiny bit familiar with the roads and see more areas of Maine besides where I am. I'm having fun while trying to spend as little money as I can!

Got my library card and am thrilled to learn that there is a cooperative inter-library system that allows me to request and borrow materials from other libraries, too.

Finding my way around, slowly going through all these boxes and bins, and sleeping well since moving in. I'm happy-happy-happy to be a Mainer now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine