Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 36,937 times

Advertisements

1.) Do you know if there are any other youth sports other than baseball? How about soccer? Basketball? Volleyball?
Sure there are plenty of youth activities, Caribou has a full summer rec. program with lots of activities, (not only sports). There is also organized soccer and basketball, and during the winter they have adult volleyball (don't believe they have a youth-only volleyball, but there are young kids that play with the adults.)

2.) You know, I hear the horror-stories about how close-minded and clannish people are in northern and western Maine. But I know there are at least two (usually three, four, or five) sides to every story. Are locals welcoming to newcomers?
Well there's a bit of truth to that, and it pretty much depends which region your coming from.
We are closed-minded to foreigners coming to Maine, but thats only when someone with a Mass or NH tag comes through town driving like an a-hole cause they think theyre on the turnpike or something. Another thing that gives them a bad name is coming up to northern maine for the sole purpose of hunting or fishing, then they head back down south. Don't get me wrong its great for the store owners, but nice bucks are not as plentyfull as they used to be.

We are more welcoming of people from the south coming up then the south is of us going down, I can say that with quite a bit of certinty.

As far as coming from out west, there are no problems, except you will see quite a different lifestyle, there definitally is no Starbucks, but we do have Stan's "home of the 10 cent cup of coffee", I think he raised his price to 11 cents now though (**** inflation)

3.) Has the increased security at the Canadian borders had any adverse affect on local communities?
Not really, they give you less of a hastle getting into Canada, then they do when you come back to the states. Its not a big deal, they don't let you across if you have had any DUI or anything like that, other then that they are friendly.

4.) How far would one have to drive to get to a bookstore? Caribou? Presque Isle? Bangor? Or would it be quicker to hop over the border into Fredricton?
There is a few small bookstores in Caribou, (Mr. Paperback being one) and they have the Aroostook Centre Mall in Presque Isle with your large stores, JC Penny, Sears, and a nice bookstore.
Then if you head the other way, Fort Kent is a beautiful border town "God's Country" it is referred to, it is a small town, but a lot of "mom and pops" type places.
There are some people that prefer to go into Canada to shop, back a few years ago, the exchange rate was great, now its not so good, so you really arent saving much, then you have to claim it at the border, so you are better off buying local.

5.) I'm not afraid of the Maine winters. I look forward to them actually. But what are the summers like around Stockholm and Caribou?
Summers are great, believe it or not they make you forget how brutal the winter was. Every now and again there will be a rainy spell, but every place has its downfalls.
When it gets too hot, there are plenty of lakes (Madawaska, Cross, Long, Eagle, St. Froid) that are all within an hour of eachother that make for nice swimming holes.

Hope that answers some of your questions. Let me know if you have anything else, would be happy to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 03:49 PM

22,836 posts, read 28,068,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb8073
As far as coming from out west, there are no problems, except you will see quite a different lifestyle, there definitally is no Starbucks, but we do have Stan's "home of the 10 cent cup of coffee", I think he raised his price to 11 cents now though (**** inflation)
Fine by me. Starbuck's is evil. But even worse, their coffee is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willb8073
Not really, they give you less of a hastle getting into Canada, then they do when you come back to the states. Its not a big deal, they don't let you across if you have had any DUI or anything like that, other then that they are friendly.
Same thing here in Washington State.

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:24 PM

10 posts, read 44,153 times
I have no problem with people killing themselves with cigarettes but I don't want to breathe it.

Also, I think smoking in cars should be banned because all people do is throw them out in the street (they don't use the car's ashtray because they don't want to dirty their car---but the street is ok).

Another thing that cracks me up are these idiots who drive with their hand out the window or the window rolled down slightly and just the tips of their fingers sticking out (they don't want their car to be smelly--their breath and clothes are OK to stink)....

Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 AM
4ME

2 posts, read 6,071 times
Just wanted to say "HELLO" and after a long career out of state my wife and I are looking forward to moving back home. We use to live in Wells and work at the Naval yard. However we would like to move up around Bar Harbour and look forward to the kindness of Mainers and yes we can get there from here.

Any info on affordable housing or if someone would like to trade a home in PA
for one of equitable value...we are listening.

I do have a very important question how far is a hospital from Bar Harbour living in Wells and only being up to that area once along time ago, thanks for the kindness

Last edited by Marka; 08-06-2006 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-06-2006, 12:13 AM

7 posts, read 21,550 times
Thumbs up Bar Harbor Hospital

There is a hospital right in Bar Harbor - Mt. Desert Island Hospital:

www.mdihospital.org

It is a small but high quality facility - top 10 in patient satisfaction.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:32 AM
4ME

2 posts, read 6,071 times
Thanks Movingeast
Sure be glad to get away from the rat race, relax and do some fishing.
Catch and release of course.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,299 times
Default i need to move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esta View Post
Hi Mark very popular for secondary heat is the wood pellet stove. The political outlook up here in the county is Liberal. Live and let live attitude. Everybody willing to help with anything. Very accepting of newcomers. Presque isle is the hub of aroostook county. Lits of canadians giving a bit of a european flair. The biggest towns up here are Houlton, Presque isle and caribou. And presque isle has an airport. Again very safe and a nice place for a family. Esta

Hi Mark one more thing. before my Family moved to maine we spoke to a Real Estate agent and asked her about the crime rate. She said and these are her words. Anything north of bangor is safe. Esta

Old 03-07-2009, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,299 times
the reason i need to move is because i want to start a family with my fiancee in bangor maine

Old 03-08-2009, 05:57 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,007,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaGirl View Post
Hello Mark-
We will be relocating from Minnesota to the Bangor area and having never visited until my interview, I had many questions. So I have some information to share with you. Yes, the housing market is very affordable. There are several 4 bedroom homes in and around the Bangor area for less than $160,000. I know, I looked at several! I found the community to be very friendly and I asked a lot of questions and found people more than willing to make suggestions on places to eat, places to live and schools....I also looked at several communites that surround Bangor and there were all nice. Brewer, Orono, Winterport, Hamden.....

There are lots of traditional sports opportunities for children/teens. Although, we are in search of youth Lacrosse and that has escaped us.

In downtown Bangor, there are several used bookstores. One was huge and one store specializes in Stephen King.

Good luck! We can't wait to move!
minn, my son has played high school lacrosse, for a few years in the augusta area, ive got to believe bangor has lacrosse teams,
if you are looking younger than high school, check with the schools, and ymca's

welcome to maine!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,559,976 times
"Are locals welcoming to newcomers?"

Yes, indeed. We need people. There are jobs in Maine, but they are specialized. It is unlikely that you can arrive and get a 9 to 5 job with benefits in a factory. However, there are many specialized jobs with transferrable skills. As long as you don't run for school board the first year you'll be welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine