Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times

Advertisements

I saw my first trillium of the year today. It was just a bud, not yet open. I also saw a medium size yellow flower with six pointed petals. The leaves were mottled. I have never seen these before. It was not on an old overgrown farm; It was in big woods. I'll get a picture next week when I'm there with a forester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I saw my first trillium of the year today. It was just a bud, not yet open. I also saw a medium size yellow flower with six pointed petals. The leaves were mottled. I have never seen these before. It was not on an old overgrown farm; It was in big woods. I'll get a picture next week when I'm there with a forester.
There is a forest floor plant with 2 mottled leaves, sort of an olive green and mottled with almost purple. The flower is a drooping bell shaped star. I don't know the name of it; they are all over out back.....but not in bloom yet.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 AM

Default Dog Tooth Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Common name "Dog Tooth Violet" but it isnt a violet at all it is a member of the lily family. They're in bloom now!

Last edited by elston; 05-06-2008 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: To remove a photo that i found on google but noticed it was copyrights.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
I love all the flowers everyone has mentioned. Nasturtiams are great to put in salads, they have a cool peppery flavor. I also love irises, bleeding hearts and dayliilies.

When I was a kid it wasn't all that rare to see lady slippers in the woods. Now I rarely see one. By pure dumb luck I found a couple of these beauties growing 10 feet from my campsite near Fryburg a couple of years ago.

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/pink_lady_slipper.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 PM

198 posts, read 354,656 times
About 25 years ago I lived in the top floor of 763 Main Street in South Portland. This is between the turnpike spur and Massachusetts Avenue. It borders the back roadway to the apartment complex next to the turnpike spur. There was a stretch of woods along that road in back of the house where I lived that had more lady slippers than I had ever seen. I lived there for about eight years, and every spring I walked back through there and was always amazed at those lovely flowers. If I remember correctly in addition to the pink variety there were yellow ones as well. I believe there were also some Jack in the Pulpit plants.

Anyone adventurous enough to go see if they still grow there?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM

I found a large patch of the pink lady slippers growing in Kennebunk a few years ago...I stopped for an off road "pit stop" and found myself surrounded by hundreds of lady slipprs.

A high school class in Lincoln NH with the help of an amazing teacher successfully cloned lady slippers and was reintroducing them to their former range....and was financing it by selling them for private gardens.

Next, I am looking for Jack In The Pulpit.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:51 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
Are lady slippers protected here in Maine? They are in Mass I believe...I love them.

Maine=lupine for me...last year I couldn't get over how beautiful it was.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
Are lady slippers protected here in Maine? They are in Mass I believe...I love them.

Maine=lupine for me...last year I couldn't get over how beautiful it was.
I found this question and answer regarding Lady Slippers on a Maine Forestry website.

Is it illegal to pick rare plants?
There are no laws prohibiting the collection of any plant species in the state of Maine. However, in the interest of perpetuating Maine’s natural heritage we strongly advise against the collection of any rare plants.

So I guess you can garnish your salad with them if you want to!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:22 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Default Fields Pond Spring Fest

I just read in the paper yesterday that tomorrow (Sat. May 10) these folks are holding a Spring Fest and included is a "PLANT SALE with native plants field grown at Rebel Hill Farm in Clifton" (10am-1pm) and a "walk and talk: native plants" session at 10:30.

They are located at 216 Fields Pond Road, Holden, Maine about 10 mi south of Bangor. I am hoping to get out there tomorrow morning to learn more about local plants and birds.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:34 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I found this question and answer regarding Lady Slippers on a Maine Forestry website.

Is it illegal to pick rare plants?
There are no laws prohibiting the collection of any plant species in the state of Maine. However, in the interest of perpetuating Maine’s natural heritage we strongly advise against the collection of any rare plants.

So I guess you can garnish your salad with them if you want to!
I'll tell my sister to try it...she's got a bunch in the woods behind her house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine