Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,853 times

Advertisements

Good morning first time posting.Long story short myself and girlfriend find ourselves in a dire situation and moving to Eastport with a good friend is possibly our only option from going homeless.We live in Florida currently and I am from Boston, Ma originally, so I am not a stranger to the north east. Our friend tells us its a remote place with limited work, which is a obvious concern.

I have experience working as a meat cutter and general labor outdoor jobs.My girlfriend has experience working in a deli and seafood counter. Will have no transportation at start until I can find something to buy up there.

So my big question is how we can find work ASAP without a vehicle,biking,walking,bus are those options?

And is it possible to work odd jobs in town like snow removal and so on?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 09:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
There isn't much work available in the winter usually. There is one store in town that has a meat counter. There may be some odd jobs available, but it sounds like welfare may be your best bet.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:34 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Google 'eastport maine jobs'. Family Dollar store has a clerical opening ('customer service representative') right now in Eastport. It shows up on the 'Snagajob' site. Might be a good start for your GF. They list this:

"Experience: Prefer experience working in retail, hotel, restaurant, grocery or drug store environments" Sounds like you guys fit well.

Jump on it today! Winter jobs in that area are going to be scarce. I hope it all works out well for you!

Old 01-21-2021, 07:47 AM

Don't forget about the quarantines

Old 01-21-2021, 08:59 AM

846 posts, read 1,019,417 times
The Grocery Store is IGA. It is a very seasonal town. There is no public transportation. Not sure about riding a bike either in the winter. I'm not sure how old y'all are but you could consider the Job Corps in Bangor. They provide housing(I highly doubt you would be living together as in a couple) and job skills training in fields that make you more employable. My wife and I have been thorugh tough times in our four and a half decades together and have had to live apart at times in the early years to make the relationship work, I wouldn't trade any of it for the world. It is a very tough time and not everyone is going to make it. If you guys dig your heels in and make a stand, and perhaps give up some short term comforts , your long haul will be fruitful. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:50 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Eastport is the last place I'd consider moving to for work. In the Winter. Love the town's architecture though.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:07 AM

Thanks all. I'm honestly trying to convince her that running up that way would be a huge hurdle with a high possibility of failure. Were both functioning people in our 30s with incomes at the moment , unfortunately our credit is toast so we can't find anyone to lease to us and privately owned rentals are difficult to find because its season here at the moment. In my opinion living in a weekly etc here would be our best bet until something better comes up. My girlfriend is just having a hard time accepting that she'd have to give up her cats, which our friend in eastport is willing to take with us , so its stopping her from making a logical decision at the moment. Hopefully she's comes to her senses and I don't wanna go back to freezing my ass off in the northeast , been there done that haha.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:47 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruru772 View Post
... We live in Florida currently, ... Will have no transportation at start until I can find something to buy up there.
Stop.

Vehicles in Maine experience a lot of roadsalt, which causes accelerated rusting.

I have known college students attending classes at UM-Orono, who are from Florida / Georgia, on semester breaks they travel back home to be with their families. While at home they buy 20-year old vehicles in the South that have never been exposed to road salt. Then drive those vehicles back to Maine in time for the next semester, when they sell those rust-free vehicles.

There are very few older cars on the road in Maine. What few older cars exist will sell for much higher prices here if they are rust-free.

Quote:
... So my big question is how we can find work ASAP without a vehicle,biking,walking,bus are those options?

And is it possible to work odd jobs in town like snow removal and so on?
Before the start of this pandemic, the advice on this forum was pretty consistent that you need to lock down a job before you arrive in Maine.

Old 01-21-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruru772 View Post
Thanks all. I'm honestly trying to convince her that running up that way would be a huge hurdle with a high possibility of failure. Were both functioning people in our 30s with incomes at the moment , unfortunately our credit is toast so we can't find anyone to lease to us and privately owned rentals are difficult to find because its season here at the moment. In my opinion living in a weekly etc here would be our best bet until something better comes up. My girlfriend is just having a hard time accepting that she'd have to give up her cats, which our friend in eastport is willing to take with us , so its stopping her from making a logical decision at the moment. Hopefully she's comes to her senses and I don't wanna go back to freezing my ass off in the northeast , been there done that haha.
I can understand not wanting to give up the pets, they are family, but what you have posted makes the most sense. Getting a job in Maine in the winter is tough. Getting a job in Eastport in winter is worse.

What is your friend going to do when they get here?

Old 01-21-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I can understand not wanting to give up the pets, they are family, but what you have posted makes the most sense. Getting a job in Maine in the winter is tough. Getting a job in Eastport in winter is worse.

What is your friend going to do when they get here?
Our friend works at the IGA up there, she lost everything in Florida a few years back and went up there with some guy or something ended up stranded and got help to find a place to rent etc. But again she rents from someone, so if that were to unfold we'd find ourselves stranded up there with cats and no where to go.

I've lived in cold basements up in Boston without bathrooms and slept on cots. Will be way better off here where its warm and our state is virtually 100 percent reopened. My girlfriend has never even left Florida, she has no clue what winters are like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine