Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 05:52 PM

795 posts, read 407,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofwinter View Post
Hi and congratulations on your decision!
We moved to Maine from CA last fall and have been very happy so far. Your plan to use the UBF U-Pack trailers is a good one. We ended up filling ours just a bit more than we'd planned, and it was great to have that extra space (we also have heavy tool chests and machining stuff). The convenience of a few days to load was nice, too; and when it was dropped off in Maine we had more days to unload. They had no problem bringing it all the way up to Calais where our storage unit is.

It sounds like you guys have it made, with an RV to make the trip in! And this is a great age for your daughter to move. Good luck with the house shopping - let us know how that goes.
Well it’s moving fast. We just put in an offer on a house!!

Our agent set a viewing appointment today and we were going to do a live FaceTime feed but the cell signal wasn’t strong enough at the property and she couldn’t get ahold of the owner for their WiFi password. So she walked all thru the house and around a fair bit of the property taking very detailed video of everything which she later emailed to us. After watching the videos we liked it even more and she is drawing up the offer paperwork for us to submit first thing in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
We used PODS when we moved but it was local. The problem was they could not get the container to our driveway because of the layout. So they had to park it on the side of the street. Made unloading a real pain in the butt. Let us know how the ABF works outs. If we ever did move that is probably what we would use. I am still hopeful we can maybe get out of here by mid/late summer.

I do woodworking and no way I am getting rid of any of that. I just got a really nice table saw for Christmas.
I'm a beginner so it's slow going but I really love it.
The property we just put an offer in on shouldn’t have any problems even getting the full 28’ ABF trailer right in front of the garage. It has a HUGE parking area right in front of the house up a nice long gravel driveway. I think the ABF trailer will definitely be the best method for us. I was figuring we would need like 3 of the large pods if we had gone that route. One just for the stuff in the garage.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:17 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
Family with a plan. Love it.You can buy a lot of property in Maine for what tou get for an average home in California. We hope by September to be educating our studnts in schoools. Our teacher's union is not as strong as Chicago's, bu they really, really like distance learning.

San Diego. Were you Navy? Maine has the highest percntage of veterans anywhere.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:34 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
If you have time before you leave, get your plumbing winterized. It can get cold in the Bangor area and burst pipes are harder to repair in travel trailers and mobile coaches. You may not find dump stations except at dealers in the Bangor area. Webb's RV center is a large RV dealer and they are in Bangor. You might want to consider 12 volt tank heaters to prevent your water, grey water and black water tanks from freezing on the way across. I recommend a southern route about 200 miles north of the border, then swing north before you get to the Appalachians.

Find your way north to I-80, east to I-81, then east on 90 to 495 in Mass. Some large WalMarts allow you to park overnight.

You will want to avoid the Great Lakes with their HUGE lake effect snows. That's why I recommend I-81 at this time of year.

States vary hugely as to firearms. Once you get to Maine you are home free. Want to carry? Carry. You don't need a permit. No carrying in schools or government buildings. At the moment, there is a huge shortage of ammunition, coast to coast. Buy what you can when you can, even if you don't happen to own that caliber. You can barter for what you need when you get hereWalmart has been sold out of ammo since Feb. 6. In Maine, you are likely to see firearms at yard sales.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:10 PM

Not navy no.

We won’t be making the actual move u til my daughter finishes her first grade school year in mid June. But given how hot the market has been lately with people fleeing the big cities, we felt it prudent to jump on the property now. The property currently has tenants that are friends of the owner who also still has a ton of his belongings in the house so we submitted the initial offer this morning with a 60 day close timeframe. Because we won’t move until mid June, we are not in a rush to close on the property so this gives him plenty of time to work with regarding clearing house so to speak. Closing in April means we would only have to worry about carrying two mortgages for May and possibly June depending on when we manage to close on the sale of our house here. Planning to list it mid April.

The proceeds from our property here will allow us to buy down the mortgage on the new property by about 70%. So our mortgage there will be half of what we are paying here. We have a large line of credit against our investments that we will use as a bridge loan to fund the new mortgage and pay it off when we get the proceeds from the sale of our current house.

Best part is the property we put the offer in on is about 5 times the size (house) of our current 1k sq ft shoe box and the land is also significantly larger with plenty of room for our kids to run around and have fun.

Old 02-07-2021, 03:33 PM

And we have an accepted offer!

Old 02-07-2021, 07:13 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,111,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Congrats! So exciting!

Old 02-07-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Congrats! So exciting!
Thank you. We are very excited. Hoping everything goes smoothly. Our realtor is setting up the various inspections first thing tomorrow. Hopefully nothing crazy comes up during inspections.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:00 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,221,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Well done, did you win an multiple offer or was yours the only one?

Old 02-08-2021, 07:36 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine