Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:02 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at places out of town and off the cable runs and trying to figure the best way to get an acceptable Internet connection for both my work and a bit of online gaming.

Currently, also, we have phone service via the Internet from Vonage.

DSL may not be available in the areas we are looking; we are also looking into getting TV via Dish Network and since they offer Internet also, we are considering that option.

However they require a 18 mo commitment and there is no "try before you buy" like the cell phones... so K and I are hoping that someone out there might have service from them, close enough we could visit and "take a test drive" to see if it lives up to their promises.

Any input, folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 06:17 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
We have been looking at places out of town and off the cable runs and trying to figure the best way to get an acceptable Internet connection for both my work and a bit of online gaming.

Currently, also, we have phone service via the Internet from Vonage.

DSL may not be available in the areas we are looking; we are also looking into getting TV via Dish Network and since they offer Internet also, we are considering that option.

However they require a 18 mo commitment and there is no "try before you buy" like the cell phones... so K and I are hoping that someone out there might have service from them, close enough we could visit and "take a test drive" to see if it lives up to their promises.

Any input, folks?
I live where only dial up is available. I wanted to help, but I don't have any to give.
Tami~peachie

Old 05-05-2008, 06:23 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Dish network requires an 18 month commitment. I have internet via what was Verizon, (Now Fairpoint). I have Dish (for TV) and will finish my contract but, I am not crazy about it at all.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:47 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
My sister has whatever it is Verizon offers. She likes it.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
My sister has whatever it is Verizon offers. She likes it.
My parents have Verizon as well.

Tami~peachie

Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times
Internet over the satellite is well, not that great. There is lag time because of the signal distance. I would not recommend it at all for gaming. Look up the term "lag time" and "internet latency." I don't think you would be very happy at all with it, plus it is expensive!!! When you use a certain amount of bandwidth (internet use), it limits the speed for the rest of the day. It's really weird, but it is how it works. I tried it, and it was a total bust. It does give service where there is no service, and that is about it's best point. If you are further than 18000 feet from you phone central office, even DSL is pokey. I am at the end of that 18000 feet at my house. I get the same DSL speed whether I pay 19.95 or 39.95 a month. I feel so stupid for paying for a high speed DSL for so long. There is also a shotgun dialup method. You use two modems in a computer and pay for two phone lines. The modems are put in tandem and you can get some decent, but still slow speeds. I don't think there is any solution to gaming in your area if you can't get DSL.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 AM

152 posts, read 457,487 times
I have Cable Internet from Time warner. It has worked well for my gaming so far don't know if its avalible in the boonies though.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:21 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,856 times
But, is satellite better than dial up? I have high speed at work and don't think I could bear to back to dial up at home. No cable, no DSL on my road, only option is satellite at $50/month YIKES. I'm tempted.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:08 PM

Yes, satellite is better than dialup, except for playing games. There is a one or two second lag between the time you type, and the time the internet responds. You get used to it in most instances, but gaming would be a total bust.....what does 2 seconds do to your game time? Try watching an over the air TV broadcast and the same channel over satellite and you see what I mean. There is a definite sound echo, and that echo is the delay time I mentioned.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote from Speednet.com: Game Playing on Satellite Internet

What is this "200ms" stuff?

Briefly: 1000ms (milliseconds) equals one second. The satellite internet systems currently available run about a half second delay because of the distances involved. To an average web surfer this means about one half a second MINIMUM, between the time you click a link and the time you start to see a change take place. On a practical level it's probably closer to 3/4 of a second response time (750ms). Unfortunately, if you're heavy into internet multiplayer gaming, then we're pretty much done here. You can go elsewhere because a 750ms plus response time is unplayable. Why?

Imagine you are driving a race car. Now imagine it's about three-quarters of a second delay (750ms) between the time you try to steer left, and the time the race car starts to respond (750ms). You see the problem. It's like driving on ice and is simply not usable for many internet games that require fast reflexes. Some flight games may be usable, because they don't need as fast a response. However, popular first person shooters like Quake III and Tribes 2 and Counter-Strike are virtually unplayable.

If, on the other hand, you're not as big into gaming and are in an area not serviced by DSL pr cable then Internet via Satellite may be just the thing for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: