Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 02:07 PM

900 posts, read 683,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8ivmainah View Post
have decent internet by chance?
Yes, we work online and it has been fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 01:02 PM

217 posts, read 199,822 times
Came back to Maine after 23 years in California and 12 years in NC. Of course, weather in San Diego was perfect and I was sick from the heat moving to NC, even in March. But I just couldn't take that summer heat and now after almost 6 years back in Maine, I haven't regretted it one bit. Small disclaimer is that I love the winter anyway and I missed the autumn most of all. I will say that I was surprised at the summer heat up here too!

Old 04-04-2021, 07:45 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
I moved to Maine in 1996 (left in 1998) but grew up and lived most of my life in East Texas. I had no problem adjusting to the cold. We lived in Bangor and I worked nights (at EMMC) so got off in the AM at 0700 wearing scrubs and a jacket and tolerated it pretty good throughout the winter.

My issue was boredom living in a townhouse. If I lived there I'd need a hobby room. I'd love to build fishing rods and make/paint lures. That would cover my winters I think especially if I added some woodworking. From April until thru October I could fish . . . every day! I don't care to ice fish. My wife, from NB, Can. refuses to move back to the cold and revels in the summers here. Pool time, beach time, and gardening makes her very happy (I have tomatoes 18" tall in the garden). I'm very so-so about the heat combined with humidity. I'm in the heavily forested region of Texas and we almost never see 100* days like other parts of Texas. It's terribly humid though, sticky humid in summer. I saw very little humidity despite the ocean within spitting distance almost while in Bangor. (I'm 75 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico with prevailing on-shore summer winds . . . you can see the water vapor in the air at times).

So, I don't see an issue with the cold or the adjustment to the temp changes. Need coping strategies for winter and its long grip is the goal.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:37 PM

28 posts, read 57,274 times
As you know from my other post (the one that drew you out ), we moved here 3 years ago after living in Virginia for almost 20 years. (Prior to that lived in Chicago & New York)

Since you bring up the humidity, I want to expound on our experience. For us, the heat and humidity was soul crushing and physically draining, and was a driving force in our desire to move.

I cannot overstate how much more ALIVE we feel up here both mentally and physically. It's like waking up out of a dense fog and remembering what it feels like to be vital. As you and others mentioned, it always seemed unnatural to spend most of the spring/summer either being miserable and sweaty outdoors, or indoors in a climate controlled environment. Since we also garden, it meant being miserable trying to do what should be enjoyable! Here, the weather is so perfect for gardening all spring, summer, and fall, that we don't even mind wearing bug nets for a month or so (sorry to remind you of the black flies). We thought we might be trading one evil for another, but for us, the potential to be itchy is nothing compared to the guarantee of being draggy and lethargic in the humidity for months on end with no relief. (And Virginia has its share of vicious mosquitoes too). For me, it feels far more natural to spend time indoors during the winter than in the other seasons. The rest of the year here is so glorious and active, I actually appreciated the down time of winter.

Here are a few random thoughts in case they resonate:

We almost forgot that it's possible dry off after a shower and not still feel damp, and that towels could dry between showers! We love that we don't have to run AC just to protect the house from getting musty and moldy (we don't even have AC here, and don't miss it). In Virginia, because of the dampness, 50° could sometimes feel more bone chilling cold than 32° here. I love wearing cozy winter clothes for a season. I love never walking outside and feeling like I'm hit in the face with a hot, damp, flannel blanket and that my car is never a sauna. I love fully appreciating the onset of spring, instead of freaking out that the dreaded heat was arriving again.

We had a very comfortable life in all respects down South (work, community, etc), and even had started to surrender to the humidity. Sometimes we remember how close we were to not moving...and we are so thankful that we took the leap. We literally said several times this winter, "Remember how we used to wonder if we could handle the winter, and how crazy that is? It's so beautiful and not a big deal at all!" Maybe it's a honeymoon period and eventually we will tire of it, but if we ever move to a warmer state - it won't be in the humid south.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:44 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneval View Post
As you know from my other post (the one that drew you out ), we moved here 3 years ago after living in Virginia for almost 20 years. (Prior to that lived in Chicago & New York)

Since you bring up the humidity, I want to expound on our experience. For us, the heat and humidity was soul crushing and physically draining, and was a driving force in our desire to move.

I cannot overstate how much more ALIVE we feel up here both mentally and physically. It's like waking up out of a dense fog and remembering what it feels like to be vital. As you and others mentioned, it always seemed unnatural to spend most of the spring/summer either being miserable and sweaty outdoors, or indoors in a climate controlled environment. Since we also garden, it meant being miserable trying to do what should be enjoyable! Here, the weather is so perfect for gardening all spring, summer, and fall, that we don't even mind wearing bug nets for a month or so (sorry to remind you of the black flies). We thought we might be trading one evil for another, but for us, the potential to be itchy is nothing compared to the guarantee of being draggy and lethargic in the humidity for months on end with no relief. (And Virginia has its share of vicious mosquitoes too). For me, it feels far more natural to spend time indoors during the winter than in the other seasons. The rest of the year here is so glorious and active, I actually appreciated the down time of winter.

Here are a few random thoughts in case they resonate:

We almost forgot that it's possible dry off after a shower and not still feel damp, and that towels could dry between showers! We love that we don't have to run AC just to protect the house from getting musty and moldy (we don't even have AC here, and don't miss it). In Virginia, because of the dampness, 50° could sometimes feel more bone chilling cold than 32° here. I love wearing cozy winter clothes for a season. I love never walking outside and feeling like I'm hit in the face with a hot, damp, flannel blanket and that my car is never a sauna. I love fully appreciating the onset of spring, instead of freaking out that the dreaded heat was arriving again.

We had a very comfortable life in all respects down South (work, community, etc), and even had started to surrender to the humidity. Sometimes we remember how close we were to not moving...and we are so thankful that we took the leap. We literally said several times this winter, "Remember how we used to wonder if we could handle the winter, and how crazy that is? It's so beautiful and not a big deal at all!" Maybe it's a honeymoon period and eventually we will tire of it, but if we ever move to a warmer state - it won't be in the humid south.

Good luck in your decision.

You state perfectly how I feel about heat & humidity, as well as Winter. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine