Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 05:14 PM

3,701 posts, read 2,634,408 times

Advertisements

I don't need an "adult community" to retire to. Just give me Maine, the outdoors, peace and quiet. A lot of Maine represents the good part of life as it was decades ago.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:17 PM

441 posts, read 430,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
You ain't whistling Dixie, Girl. That's for sure!

My wife and I escaped from Konnecticutstan and just in time. I can believe how dower things are there now even since September when we crossed the bridge as residents for the first time. I feel refreshed, breathing fresh free air, ready for anything now and am absorbing Maine as if it were my home-born state. I've been reading as much as I can about living in rural Maine during the past 100 years. It's fascinating. For instance:

Here's a trivial factoid about old MAine that I suspect few people know today.

I read alot about using the "privy" or "outhouse" and the trials and tribulations that caused. I laughted out loud, however, when the subject of teaching children how to use it as they matriculated out of diapers to underpants. They were taught a valuable phrase:" Elbows Up!" Elbows Up". As they would go to the outhouse and sat on the edge in those early days, they were taught "elbows up!" in case........in case they lost their balance and fell backwards. Their elbows would hopefully keep them from ending up in a very precarious situation! Now, you can only use your imagination as to just how horrible that event might be! So, "Elbows Up" has become my new daily slogan which keep me from falling into the abyss on a daily basis! LOL. This is true, btw.

You can't go wrong reading books written by reknowned Maine writer, John Gould. He said, "We don't write books about Maine, we live them! The last one I read was "This Trifling Distinction", Reminiscences from Down East. He died in 2003, three years shy of 100. It must be the lobster and the air that keeps so many Mainers around for so long!

There....you're welcome for the new stream of reading material. Saw our first Robin yesterday, Woohoo!
Seriously laughing out Loud and thank you. I really needed a good laugh today!!!

I was born in CA but grew up in western PA. Been a dream forever to live in Maine. i missed an opportunity in the past and now trying to convince my other half. He is stubborn. Reason $1 less people and stress.
Don't worry i won't be trying to change anything, just want to blend in and live a simpler easier life.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:58 PM

37,232 posts, read 60,954,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Why are so many people moving to Maine?
There are many good reasons to migrate to Maine.

I am from California, we know many people living in Maine who came from the Carolinas.

Most places we have lived before have had a far greater 'nanny-state' attitude.

Most of this continent is drought-prone. Some people watch the published precipitation statistics and proclaim that Maine is in a drought. But give me a break, look around you, are the trees dying from lack of water? Anywhere on my land I can dig a hole and the next day that hole will be filled with water.

Any context that allows you to discuss droughts in Maine is purely as a statistical phenomenon, this is NOT what drought means out in Oklahoma, or Kansas, or the West Coast.

Also the low home prices and ultra-low taxes drew me.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:55 AM

109 posts, read 97,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I am a Mainer and am wondering why so many people from out of state are choosing to move here. especially people who already live on the east coast. If folks don't like living in the city, why don't they just find a quieter area in their own state?

A lot of people from away who move here, start living here and trying to change the way we live instead of embracing our Maine ways. For instance, I work with someone who moved here years ago from the west coast and continuously makes fun of the way Mainers talk, not in a nice way. Also, how Mainers have more teeth missing etc., etc.,

So, I'm just curious, why did you choose our state?

This is a typical complaint from someone with a very provincial mentality who doesn’t accept diversity. As long as the newcomers bring something positive to the state, I don’t see any problem with them not behaving like Mainers. Are you the gatekeeper?

Posts like this confirm my belief that Mainers are friendly as long as you are a tourist, not as a new resident. That state needs to work more on educating its citizens and erasing their fear to diversity.

Old 03-27-2021, 02:55 AM

30,243 posts, read 16,001,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
This is a typical complaint from someone with a very provincial mentality who doesn’t accept diversity. As long as the newcomers bring something positive to the state, I don’t see any problem with them not behaving like Mainers. Are you the gatekeeper?

Posts like this confirm my belief that Mainers are friendly as long as you are a tourist, not as a new resident. That state needs to work more on educating its citizens and erasing their fear to diversity.

I don't think it's fear of diversity so much as dislike of passing judgement.

When someone moves some place and starts wanting to change everything, that can be seen as judgement.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:52 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,456,061 times
This is a typical complaint from someone with a very entitled mentality who doesn't accept that Mainers don't need to change our ways to suit someone moving here. Posts like this confirm my belief that some people need to learn a lot more about Maine and Mainers before they're qualified to judge us.

See how this works?

Quote:

Old 03-27-2021, 06:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,137,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
My wife and I escaped from Konnecticutstan and just in time. I can believe how dower things are there now even since September when we crossed the bridge as residents for the first time. I feel refreshed, breathing fresh free air...
It's not a zero sum game, folks.

Cuffler, CT certainly isn't at all dour to me. Never has been. (BTW, our air is free here as well) ;-)

I'm happy for you in your dream location up in Maine. I know you worked long and hard to get there. Please don't think badly about those of us who are still in CT. For the most part, we're doing fine. And if not, we're helping each other out. The same way the folks up in Maine are helping each other out.

Open mindedness is the way our society moves forward. Over all the years of our country's existence I'm sure that millions of times someone has moved into another area and brought ideas about how to do something different with them. Sometimes the ideas turned out to be better and sometimes not. (The first settlers taught the Native Americans some cool stuff and vice versa)

It's human nature to believe -and want others to also believe- that you are in the best place. And you know what? You are in the best place.. the best place for you. And there are other best places.. for other people. And we can learn from you and you can learn from us. And that's OK.

I understand Mainers not wanting new locals (a much better term than "people from away", IMHO... That's what we call new people down here in my CT neighborhood) to come in and try to change everything, but I'm thinking a little basic communication can probably sort things out.

And my goodness but we've had robins down here for about two weeks already. ;-)

Last edited by LilyMae521; 03-27-2021 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-27-2021, 08:06 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 2 days ago)

1,964 posts, read 3,297,390 times
I moved from Southern, rural NJ in 2018. My family had traveled to Maine every year since i was about 10 years old. We also had a fisherman's cottage at the Jersey shore, on the water. I would have loved to live there - but it was not winterized and falling apart by the time i retired. For me to live anywhere along the NJ coast would have probably cost $1Million or more.

I've always loved the beauty of Maine and the quiet and laid-back areas. I love the beauty of the coast, even at the busier areas. By the time i retired, the area i could afford (coastal) was Washington County - and that was fine with me. New Jersey is also unaffordable for someone who doesnt retire wealthy. And i feel that much of it has been poisoned by the Hazardous Waste/Superfund Sites - including near where i lived.

Truthfully, i love everything about Maine and wouldnt really change anything. I love the accents. I don't like my heating bill, but i knew it was coming. I Vote, and if i have things i believe in - i'll use my Vote to have my say.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:08 PM

55 posts, read 34,520 times
Quote:

You're funny!

Old 03-27-2021, 09:11 PM

55 posts, read 34,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
This is a typical complaint from someone with a very entitled mentality who doesn't accept that Mainers don't need to change our ways to suit someone moving here. Posts like this confirm my belief that some people need to learn a lot more about Maine and Mainers before they're qualified to judge us.

See how this works?
THese folks can't help BUT judge anyone who doesn't see the world the exact way they see it.
What a boring way to live actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine