Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 08:55 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,457,325 times

Advertisements

All of the lobstermen in our family are self-employed and don't receive unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 10:21 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,623,845 times
We were in Maine for our last trip there way back around 2002, in the Portland Area, we went all over to finnish in Mass 2 days before our flight from Boston to Miami, Fl.

All the way eating Lobsters on our trip...

Stayed at Fallmouth at the Cape and took a day trip to Martha's Vineyard, Jumped on Tour Bus and at the Gay Head Light we had some monster Lobster Rolls, I will never forget they were way under $10.00 each.

Back to Maine BTW just a couple of mls from Kennebunk Port by the Saco River into the Ocean we stoped at a place where the Lobsters were amazing ... Younger daughter about 17 yrs old then could not understand the cruelty for the crustaceans goinn from the salt water tanks to the boiling cauldron.

Now in this day and age she has NO problems eating them

Grow, Live and LEARN !! Even when in Florida the Imported Critters are expensive as Heck.

Last edited by Huasho; 05-11-2021 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-11-2021, 08:03 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,497,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
All of the lobstermen in our family are self-employed and don't receive unemployment.
That’s great! I highly respect them!

Old 05-12-2021, 12:06 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,445,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
For employees of larger firms it might be a factor in those laid-off employees deciding to seek re-employment or not in their old work (of any type, actually). For any larger lobster business owner, it could be a factor if they have to pay more to lure someone back... so one cannot really know unless you run a lobstering business with employees.

As for anyone collecting or not collecting unemployment payments: If anyone is a sole proprietor in Maine, they are not required to pay into the Unemployment Insurance fund as are all other businesses. They can't usually collect unemployment benefits, so not collecting is just an outcome of not paying. (There has been an exception for the pandemic.)

Old 05-12-2021, 12:22 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,856,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Do you think the “more money to stay home” on unemployment has anything to do with it?
I honestly do not think so. During the pandemic a year ago self-employed people could apply for and were allowed some type of financial assistance. It probably had a special name but I don't remember what it was called. It was different than traditional unemployment for workers who are laid off by companies/businesses covered by unemployment.

Believe it or not, there are people who prefer to work rather than draw unemployment.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:37 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,856,680 times
Post showed up twice somehow

Old 05-12-2021, 01:54 PM

6,613 posts, read 13,457,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
For employees of larger firms it might be a factor in those laid-off employees deciding to seek re-employment or not in their old work (of any type, actually). For any larger lobster business owner, it could be a factor if they have to pay more to lure someone back... so one cannot really know unless you run a lobstering business with employees.
I don't run a lobstering business but I do know what my family members are doing. They're self-employed. They don't pay into the insurance so don't draw out. I was specific in saying my family.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:28 AM

11,947 posts, read 9,020,679 times
In neighboring Ipswich, MA - live hardshell lobsters are running $10/lb for "halves" (1.50-1.75lb size), and $14/lb for "selects" (2.00-3.00lb size).

Old 05-14-2021, 09:51 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,445,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I honestly do not think so. During the pandemic a year ago self-employed people could apply for and were allowed some type of financial assistance. It probably had a special name but I don't remember what it was called. It was different than traditional unemployment for workers who are laid off by companies/businesses covered by unemployment.

Believe it or not, there are people who prefer to work rather than draw unemployment.
Thankfully, most people are that way. But not all. Do you want to hear about my B-I-L Rusty? LOL People's work ethic is not uniform. And, yes, about the one-time special program for self-employed in ME for the COVID situation.

FWIW.... I was listening to a business radio program yesterday, and the problem discussed was fast food restaurants in WA state being short on operating hours because some could not even get potential employees into the store for an interview, much less to make them an offer of $13.50 to $15 per hour. WA state has expanded unemployment benefits until this coming fall, and that is being blamed. Other states like WY and MT and ID are now terminating the augmented unemployment benefits to short-circuit this problem.

Whether this is the case in ME and for any lobster pricing factors, IDK; it seems possible. It may be more likely that former lobstering employees have migrated to other work, like house building, which is busy, and is presently more steady work.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:06 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,194,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Thankfully, most people are that way. But not all. Do you want to hear about my B-I-L Rusty? LOL People's work ethic is not uniform. And, yes, about the one-time special program for self-employed in ME for the COVID situation.

FWIW.... I was listening to a business radio program yesterday, and the problem discussed was fast food restaurants in WA state being short on operating hours because some could not even get potential employees into the store for an interview, much less to make them an offer of $13.50 to $15 per hour. WA state has expanded unemployment benefits until this coming fall, and that is being blamed. Other states like WY and MT and ID are now terminating the augmented unemployment benefits to short-circuit this problem.

Whether this is the case in ME and for any lobster pricing factors, IDK; it seems possible. It may be more likely that former lobstering employees have migrated to other work, like house building, which is busy, and is presently more steady work.
The PPP program is most certainly not the case for high lobster prices. It was around last year, but has gone past. What is going on now is there has been poor catches. There have been fewer lobsters caught in the traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine