Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:42 AM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

We have been discussing getting a second large dog.

So I put an message on Freecycle asking for a large dog.

One response that I got was for a 12 month old black Lab/Shepherd. So we made arrangements for the guy to bring his dog out for a visit. He asked if he could bring his three children along so they could see our home and where this Lab/Shep would be living.

Today the gentleman arrived with three black dogs. Two Rottweiler mixes and the Lab/Shep. They immediately got to chasing our animals, the guy had the hardest time trying to control his dogs, just as he gained momentary control of his dogs, and they were off again chasing our livestock. These three dogs chased down and killed two of our chickens.

He was very apologetic and made repeated offers to pay us for the killed chickens.

Alas we did not gain a dog today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 10:13 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Sheesh!! Well, I'm sorry it didn't work out. I think perhaps he should have brought just the dog you were interested in. It may have adapted better without it's pals to run with. I hope you find a good one that works well with your family.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Working in the brush today, we just found a third freshly killed chicken.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:55 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
I am thoroughly disgusted by people who first, can't or don't control their dogs and second, think it's ok for for their dogs to maul birds and livestock. It makes me want to slap them upside the head and order them off the planet.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:30 AM

There is a possibility that he had only brought the Lab/shepherd that by itself, it might have easily gotten along with our lose goats, sheep and chickens.

But by turning lose all three of his dogs, when he obviously had such little control of his dogs, they were a pack.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 AM

278 posts, read 700,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There is a possibility that he had only brought the Lab/shepherd that by itself, it might have easily gotten along with our lose goats, sheep and chickens.

But by turning lose all three of his dogs, when he obviously had such little control of his dogs, they were a pack.
Was he a pseudo-hick?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 PM

216 posts, read 682,219 times
What a jerk...I have a huge contempt for people who own large breed, tough guy, dogs, yet can't control them.

Sorry about the chickens....posters in a poultry forum I like to frequent suggested using a paint ball gun on loose dogs that were harrassing/killing your free range chickens. It seemed like a good idea....will hurt and scare the dog, but not really injure it.

What kind of chickens do you keep?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
posters in a poultry forum I like to frequent suggested using a paint ball gun on loose dogs that were harrassing/killing your free range chickens. ?
A 30-30 works better and assures you the dogs will not return a second time. You're a nice guy forest. I would have shot the dog in exchange for killing the chickens and called it even.
You can have my dog though I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy!

Old 05-11-2008, 01:46 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
A 30-30 works better and assures you the dogs will not return a second time. You're a nice guy forest. I would have shot the dog in exchange for killing the chickens and called it even.
You can have my dog though I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy!
Better yet - shoot the owner. It's not the dogs fault.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Better yet - shoot the owner. It's not the dogs fault.
The world already has far too many dogs ...thinning them out is a good thing.
In fact they should run an incentive. Bring your useless dog in for a lethal injection and get a free MP3 player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: