Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread when I could bump an old one...but
I'm not finding a lot of dirt biking info on Maine with the exception of 'Mainedirtbikes.com' and a handful of tracks.

Am I correct in understanding that a registered dirt bike is considered an ATV in Maine, thus one can ride on any designated ATV trail or private land with permission, and this also includes plated dual sport motorcycles?

All I see on the Maine.gov site is pictures of quads and a lot of text with 'ATV this' and 'ATV that'...nothing about motorcycles. It might leave somebody not familiar with the impression that dirt biking in Maine is not an option...

And I had no idea about No Hunting on Sundays in Maine...how long has that been law, and does it apply to waterfowling, bowhunting, fishing, etc.? That seems pretty Draconian...what's the logic behind it?
A registered Dirtbike is an ATV in Maine. Many ATV'ers like Dirtbikes as much as dirtbikers like ATV's so don't expect any love. The Sunday hunting laws go WAY back. They had to get the men to go to church some way! Yes it applies to ALL hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 AM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
A registered Dirtbike is an ATV in Maine. Many ATV'ers like Dirtbikes as much as dirtbikers like ATV's so don't expect any love. The Sunday hunting laws go WAY back. They had to get the men to go to church some way! Yes it applies to ALL hunting.
I figured the hunting thing was based on some puritanical religious views. No waterfowling or upland bird hunting on Sundays?! That's not good for me and wanting to possibly move there...are private clubs an option or do they have to follow this 'rule' as well?

As for the dirt bike vs. quad thing...we have friction among those groups here, so it's nothing new. I will say that in all my years of riding, the rise in quad registrations/usage the past few years has led to a lot of singletrack being poached and ruined, as well as off-trail damage leading to a lot of trails being closed forever.

I assume Maine is facing the same challenges but it's good to see user groups getting organized and promote stewardship & good behavior. All it takes is one moron to smear the reputations of the responsible users.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I figured the hunting thing was based on some puritanical religious views. No waterfowling or upland bird hunting on Sundays?! That's not good for me and wanting to possibly move there...are private clubs an option or do they have to follow this 'rule' as well?

As for the dirt bike vs. quad thing...we have friction among those groups here, so it's nothing new. I will say that in all my years of riding, the rise in quad registrations/usage the past few years has led to a lot of singletrack being poached and ruined, as well as off-trail damage leading to a lot of trails being closed forever.

I assume Maine is facing the same challenges but it's good to see user groups getting organized and promote stewardship & good behavior. All it takes is one moron to smear the reputations of the responsible users.
Up North people ride their four wheelers to work! They have a pretty extensive trail system, not in the Southern section of the state though.
There is no hunting period on Sunday. I have no idea if private clubs have Sunday hunts though I sincerely doubt it. You're not allowed to hunt even on your own property on Sunday. The law should be changed to allow at least the Northern part of the state to hunt on Sunday but every time it comes up some clown rejects it.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:19 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I always wonder how that's not been changed, somebody's got a good lobbying group going.... it doesn't really effect me one way or the other though, so if it changes and can bring in more revenue because we have more hunters out and about, that's ok with me. I don't mind it being the way it is either, I like getting out and not worrying about it on Sundays--still wear the orange though, just in case

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I always wonder how that's not been changed, somebody's got a good lobbying group going.... it doesn't really effect me one way or the other though, so if it changes and can bring in more revenue because we have more hunters out and about, that's ok with me. I don't mind it being the way it is either, I like getting out and not worrying about it on Sundays--still wear the orange though, just in case
If it goes to a State wide vote the Southern part of Maine will reject the proposal out of hand. Too many soccer moms and yuppies down this way.
I'm kind of surprized someone like John Martin hasn't pulled off Sunday hunting for the Northern part of Maine though! You're smart to wear orange Molly even on Sunday. It's a good habit in November. I should tell the story of the 10 mountain bikers I saw in Pownal last November on a Saturday...Not a stitch of orange on any of them.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Up North people ride their four wheelers to work! They have a pretty extensive trail system, not in the Southern section of the state though.
There is no hunting period on Sunday. I have no idea if private clubs have Sunday hunts though I sincerely doubt it. You're not allowed to hunt even on your own property on Sunday. The law should be changed to allow at least the Northern part of the state to hunt on Sunday but every time it comes up some clown rejects it.
I can see myself having a quad...there is a utility aspect to them. But you and I know the real fun is had on 2 wheels...

Wow, so I can't even hunt on my own private property on Sundays in Maine? That's nonsense. Your State really does have a bunch of clowns sitting in Augusta making the rules...

Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
I'd vote against Sunday hunting. I'm a hunter and land owner. I have my buck picked out. I want that one day a week to not have to worry about who's in the woods firing guns toward my house. Fall is my favorite season but I can't let my guard down for a second. I always have to listen for a whistle, gunfire and the damned heater hunters I'd like to slap silly. I live where hunters vacation. Yesterday I spoke to two men who were hunting across the road and legally too close to my house and the paved road. They had no idea they were so close. When you live where others hunt you see a big dose of reality in who the clowns really can be.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'd vote against Sunday hunting. I'm a hunter and land owner. I have my buck picked out. I want that one day a week to not have to worry about who's in the woods firing guns toward my house. Fall is my favorite season but I can't let my guard down for a second. I always have to listen for a whistle, gunfire and the damned heater hunters I'd like to slap silly. I live where hunters vacation. Yesterday I spoke to two men who were hunting across the road and legally too close to my house and the paved road. They had no idea they were so close. When you live where others hunt you see a big dose of reality in who the clowns really can be.
We have a family cabin that is very close to BLM land where a lot of people hunt, and those people aren't aware how close they are in proximity to our property, although there is a cattle fence & plenty of signs telling them. We don the blaze orange this time of year up there.

Weekends are my only chance to get out, so not having Sundays to pursue upland game and waterfowl is a major consideration, along with not being able to hunt on your own private land on Sundays.

Anyhow, this is off-topic and not the intent of the thread. I'll have to contact Maine.gov to get a copy of the ATV trail map(s). Another consideration in moving is the proximity to good trail riding without having to drive for hours to get to where the riding is.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I can see myself having a quad...there is a utility aspect to them. But you and I know the real fun is had on 2 wheels...

Wow, so I can't even hunt on my own private property on Sundays in Maine? That's nonsense. Your State really does have a bunch of clowns sitting in Augusta making the rules...
No argument there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: