Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times

Advertisements

An interesting way to get to know a people is to take a look at what they eat. Over time we have shared some of our favorite recipes and foods, What is sometimes telling is what people eat for everyday meals. Take txmom for instance. Today they had a REAL Maine lunch of fiddleheads, pan fried trout and homefries. It doesn't get much more Maine than that. Sounds good, though we don't always have the luxury of eating an entirely "Maine" grown meal. On the other hand I don't have anything Maine going on for suppah tonight. Just a chef salad and spaghetti with home made meatballs. Do you call the evening meal Dinner or Supper and what are you having tonight???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,335 times
Our dinner tonight was breaded pork chops, peas and mashed potatoes. Nothing home grown tonight - all store bought.

Looking forward to some fresh peas (which are out of the ground and several inches high already)

We always try to eat at the table together and it's always dinner unless it's Sunday dinner which for us means a little more formal and a little earlier.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:53 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,009 times
I grew up (Michigan, with generic midwestern roots) hearing it called dinner; that was also, oddly, the name of the mid-day (large) meal on Sunday.

After spending time in the South, I have got into the habit of calling it supper now...

Maineah, your supper sounds great! Quite like something I might do, though these days I most often do spagetti with a meat sauce that my grandma called "American" spagetti (as opposed to Italian)... sauteed ground beef, onions, celery, green pepper, garlic and Italian herb mix, add a little flour to make a roux and add a can of diced tomatoes in juice or home canned tomatoes, broken up. The sauce thickens from the flour but is totally different in character from Marinara, and it is something my non-tomato-sauce-eating SO likes.

Tonight though, I am just back from the SMBIZ4ME conference in Bangor so we are doing a quick Mexican thing... I have tacos or toastadas, K prefers burrito form (soft flour tortillas) with spiced up ground beef, canned refried beans (though I have some dry beans to cook and freeze soon), grated cheese, shredded lettuce and taco sauce... we assemble our own at the table. Today will also include a large green salad, as we were gifted with several bags of salad greens by Forest's DW that need eaten up.

Normally we had fallen into a "Mexican Monday" habit but the schedule has been in such chaos of late that, well, we are late I guess.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Our dinner tonight was breaded pork chops, peas and mashed potatoes. Nothing home grown tonight - all store bought.

Looking forward to some fresh peas (which are out of the ground and several inches high already)

We always try to eat at the table together and it's always dinner unless it's Sunday dinner which for us means a little more formal and a little earlier.
I guess I am going to have to forgo fresh peas, unless I trip over some at a farm stand or farmers market... I have been looking high and low, especially for the sugar snap peas (LOVE those things raw, as a snack!) and I have not seen a packet of peas anywhere since I started looking.

Crossing fingers for the MOFGA event... and that it's not too late to throw a batch into the ground. I'll try anyway... I learn best that way.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:05 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I guess I am going to have to forgo fresh peas, unless I trip over some at a farm stand or farmers market... I have been looking high and low, especially for the sugar snap peas (LOVE those things raw, as a snack!) and I have not seen a packet of peas anywhere since I started looking.

Crossing fingers for the MOFGA event... and that it's not too late to throw a batch into the ground. I'll try anyway... I learn best that way.
I grow several rows of peas with my step dad at his and my Mum's house. I like the snap peas in the pod too. I hate shucking peas. Now that I have children old enough to shuck - shuck they will. I always save a big bag of peas in the freezer for my birthday in the middle of January.

My step dad often is able to grow a second crop of peas after we harvest the first.

Hope you find your seeds. I think you still have plenty of time.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I grew up (Michigan, with generic midwestern roots) hearing it called dinner; that was also, oddly, the name of the mid-day (large) meal on Sunday.

After spending time in the South, I have got into the habit of calling it supper now...

Maineah, your supper sounds great! Quite like something I might do, though these days I most often do spagetti with a meat sauce that my grandma called "American" spagetti (as opposed to Italian)... sauteed ground beef, onions, celery, green pepper, garlic and Italian herb mix, add a little flour to make a roux and add a can of diced tomatoes in juice or home canned tomatoes, broken up. The sauce thickens from the flour but is totally different in character from Marinara, and it is something my non-tomato-sauce-eating SO likes.

Tonight though, I am just back from the SMBIZ4ME conference in Bangor so we are doing a quick Mexican thing... I have tacos or toastadas, K prefers burrito form (soft flour tortillas) with spiced up ground beef, canned refried beans (though I have some dry beans to cook and freeze soon), grated cheese, shredded lettuce and taco sauce... we assemble our own at the table. Today will also include a large green salad, as we were gifted with several bags of salad greens by Forest's DW that need eaten up.

Normally we had fallen into a "Mexican Monday" habit but the schedule has been in such chaos of late that, well, we are late I guess.
Wow that "American spaghetti" is EXACTLY how my mother made it! I haven't had it since she passed away...10 years now..you conjured up a very fonmd memory with that...thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:48 PM

411 posts, read 898,492 times
Tonight's supper here is soup. Canned cream of potato for me, and Ramen for my hubby. He just got done w/ a full day's work, then mowing the lawn, and doing chores while I just arrived home from a 350 mile drive from CT. It's been a rough day for both of us. We call it supper around here. Hopefully tomorrow night will be kielbasa and potatoes and broccoli, or some other veggie.

Star, the garden looks AWESOME!!! And we have peas to share, Little Marvel, and I believe one other kind. Will be planting here very soon... we'll have to chat tomorrow. I'll give you a holler at some point during the day tomorrow. Off to bed I go, I'm tired. lol

Old 05-21-2008, 06:18 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Do you call the evening meal Dinner or Supper and what are you having tonight???
My father who lived most of his life in mid-Maine always said breakfast is the first meal, the second is dinnertime instead of lunch and the third meal is of course suppah. Tonight, I'm having boiled supper with Lite Polska Kielbasa and a bowl of blueberries in cream for desert.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:19 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Just came in from painting the porch railings...they were pretty ragged. "Supper" is what we call it, something simple as we both worked all day. Nice crisp tuna salad on a bed of lettuce with sliced tomatoes. None from our garden, all of it from the grocery store. We give thanks that we can still afford to buy food!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
My father who lived most of his life in mid-Maine always said breakfast is the first meal, the second is dinnertime instead of lunch and the third meal is of course suppah. Tonight, I'm having boiled supper with Lite Polska Kielbasa and a bowl of blueberries in cream for desert.
Growing up it was always breakfast,dinner,and supper in our house.
Since I got married supper was out,lunch was in and dinner became supper. Confused?.... me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine