Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM

227 posts, read 1,357,401 times

Advertisements

I'm a carpenter/painter right now, trying to learn everything about residential development.

However i am passionate about boats. I've googled some boat/yacht construction schools located in maine. Does anyone know how much money is in this? Not that it's the most important thing but I just want to know if i can make a living doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post
I'm a carpenter/painter right now, trying to learn everything about residential development.

However i am passionate about boats. I've googled some boat/yacht construction schools located in maine. Does anyone know how much money is in this? Not that it's the most important thing but I just want to know if i can make a living doing this.
I know Eastport's boat school is now officially a branch of The University of Maine. Machias branch, I think...Miss Molly may know some more as she is located in that area.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Like any skilled trade, boatbuilders usually make more (or less) money depending on their education and skill level, along with that of their employer (the more well known the boat company, usually the higher the pay..). The boat builders that I know (mostly commercial fishing vessels as opposed to pleasure crafts) do very well, but most of them have been at it a long time, too.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:55 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
My dad was a boatbuilder and he made a good living at it. Deer has pretty much summed it up with he posting.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
There is a shortage of skilled boatbuilders. A good indication of the health of the boatbuilding industry is income tax receipts by the federal government. Since the Bush tax cuts, total income tax revenues have taken a huge jump. (John Kennedy experienced the same thing.)

Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Smile Arundel

I heard this summer that the outfit in Arundel is teaming up with the Maine CC System.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:44 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is a shortage of skilled boatbuilders. A good indication of the health of the boatbuilding industry is income tax receipts by the federal government. Since the Bush tax cuts, total income tax revenues have taken a huge jump. (John Kennedy experienced the same thing.)
Northern Man -- I'm not sure what you are saying --but, I'm interested. How is the health of the boatbuilding industry related to tax receipts. Also, Bush cuts taxes and tax revenues increase? Can you give some more detail as to how this works?

Old 10-06-2007, 04:41 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
The boat school in Eastport is recruiting students for the course to begin next spring. Now is the time to connect. The school is in much better footing now since it is being run by Husson College. I know the president of Husson and it is a very well run college and the boat school is in good hands. This article is in today's Bangor Dail News, Page C5. Contact John Miller at 207-825-0990 or john.miller2@hotmail.com.

As to boat customers; If somebody is paying more taxes than last year he has a higher income. Some of that is additional disposable income and it's just burning a hole in his pocket.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,139 times
Default questions

just wanted to know if anyone knew about cape fear community college in wilmington nc. was thinking about going to school there for boat building. How much does a builder clear on say a sixteen to twenty foot boat? how much is the pay off in the end?

Old 06-23-2008, 02:16 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccray84 View Post
just wanted to know if anyone knew about cape fear community college in wilmington nc. was thinking about going to school there for boat building. How much does a builder clear on say a sixteen to twenty foot boat? how much is the pay off in the end?
You might want to post this in the North Carolina forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine