Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 08:45 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times

Advertisements

It's not a huge deal to paint over another person's color choices. More important is the location and condition of the property.

Real estate prices in Maine have escalated in the past 2 years, while prices in Connecticut have gone down:

https://wgme.com/news/local/its-now-...it-is-in-maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 11:50 AM

605 posts, read 624,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I have spent lots of time in Franklin, several friends and relatives there. I have lots of great memories related to Franklin. I didn't think and don't think it is a bad area. All things considered, being troubled by the paint is imo ridiculous.... absolutely ridiculous.
Being troubled by other people's simple opinions is imo ridiculous.... absolutely ridiculous.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:14 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
Being troubled by other people's simple opinions is imo ridiculous.... absolutely ridiculous.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. I'm not "troubled" by your opinions. I chuckled, found the paint comments quite laughable, very humorous, amusing in addition to ridiculous. Of course, that's just my opinion. The posts seem to indicate more people liking the house than those disliking it even with its non neutral colors.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:33 PM

605 posts, read 624,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. I'm not "troubled" by your opinions. I chuckled, found the paint comments quite laughable, very humorous, amusing in addition to ridiculous. Of course, that's just my opinion. The posts seem to indicate more people liking the house than those disliking it even with its non neutral colors.
I posted a link to the house as a service to people who are looking for a small house and those with lower financial means who are trying to move to Maine. I've posted quite a few such links in this forum to share what I come across in my search for a home in Maine and to be of help to others in their search, especially when the real estate market is so difficult for buyers right now. My intention was entirely positive. I like this house and I'm glad that others do also.

My question was simply, why have decorators etc. abandoned the long-standing tradition of neutral colors when selling a house? That's a valid question of interest to me as a home buyer. I don't think the question or the person who asked it deserves ridicule.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:08 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
https://my.flexmls.com/KarenKeuper/s...28033886000000

The house was built in 1940 and has 990 square feet. I'm not sure that Franklin, Maine, has anything that could be called a town center or downtown (population 1483), but if you're an outdoors person, this is a beautiful corner of Maine surrounded by very lovely lakes. It's a kayaking/canoeing paradise. You would be 20 minutes from Ellsworth.

I've asked this before and I'm still troubled by it: why are renovators abandoning the long-standing rule that home interiors should have NEUTRAL colors that will be acceptable to everyone? This house takes colors to an extreme, with black appliances and black cabinets in the kitchen, a bedroom with gray walls and a black rug, and others with painfully bright and dark colors. Personally I would not be able to live in that interior. I feel like on top of high prices, home buyers are being saddled with ugly interiors that will take a lot of money to correct.
Yep, personal taste. I don't go for black or near-black in any case, and am not big on the deep, saturated colors like that blood red on the walls either. I like off-white walls - about the most I might go for would be a light sky blue or a light mustard color on the walls, pure white ceilings, and mid-tones in e.g. flooring, carpets and cabinets... now, furniture can be darker and more saturated, as it's not that big. But, there are no right answers, to each their own.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:30 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
I posted a link to the house as a service to people who are looking for a small house and those with lower financial means who are trying to move to Maine. I've posted quite a few such links in this forum to share what I come across in my search for a home in Maine and to be of help to others in their search, especially when the real estate market is so difficult for buyers right now. My intention was entirely positive. I like this house and I'm glad that others do also.

My question was simply, why have decorators etc. abandoned the long-standing tradition of neutral colors when selling a house? That's a valid question of interest to me as a home buyer. I don't think the question or the person who asked it deserves ridicule.
In regard to the colors inside this house, I think the decorators were the home owners and they used what they or their children liked.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:26 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
What makes you think this house was renovated? It says it has been updated, but nothing about this place shows renovation in any of the photos. The walls and ceiling all need paint work. The owners most likely painted it to their preferences, and then enjoyed it for quite awhile.
This is correct, "updated" could have been in the 1970s or beyond. There is nothing in the comments, nor the supporting documents that indicate any work was done to the house since the current owner's purchase in 2017. The agent who listed it in 2017 described it as "completely remodeled throughout" and it sold for $90,000. The median sales price in Hancock County was $382,500 in April and this listed for less than half of that, we'll see what the market tells us.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:00 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
By odd coincidence, I drove past this property last week. Decent home but not in the greatest of settings with regard to neighbors. And Blackwoods Rd can be busy during the day.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:05 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Too bad that updating didn't include a railing at the front steps.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:35 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
mine doesn't have railing either. Maybe some day. or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine