U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2022, 04:25 AM

2,182 posts, read 3,240,723 times

Advertisements

Morning Mainer's or anyone else here who has the experience traveling from central Maine to Boston.

I would like to fly out of Logan airport for an out of the country trip. This is my issue. My flight leaves early in the morning. My return flight gets back around 12 a.m. I'm going to be too tired to jump into my car and hit the road at 1 a.m!

What I would like to do is find a place to stay the day before, get a shuttle to the airport and then upon return stay at a hotel. IS 1:00 a.m. considered to be the next day? The other thought would be Manchester airport, but no good flights. What have you done in this scenario?

Thank you for any suggestions. Have a great day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 06:21 AM

956 posts, read 2,207,048 times
The first part of your question is easy to answer. Take the Concord Trailways bus out of Maine. It makes stops at all the terminals. (just be sure you get the bus to Logan, not South Station) There are multiple stops it makes where you can board, but typically Bangor or Portland is a good place to board since they have ample parking which is very inexpensive. ($4 a day long term at Portland) Where to stay in Boston is a different question. Hilton has a couple properties within a half mile of the airport and both offer 24 hour shuttle, but both are quite expensive. Red Roof Inn has a place on Rt 1A that is not much over $100 a night. It is a nice hotel and very convenient, however they don't offer an airport shuttle. The savings you would have staying there would easily pay for a cab or Uber to and from the hotel to the airport. It's literally 10 minutes from door to door.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:48 AM

2,411 posts, read 3,152,636 times
Second the Concord Coach Lines. My family member uses it frequently from Portland Transportation Center to Boston's Logan Airport. It's excellent--incredibly comfortable, on schedule, WiFi, a bathroom on board, reasonably priced, and low-stress.

https://concordcoachlines.com/stop/portland-maine/

Old 06-29-2022, 11:56 AM

42 posts, read 31,923 times
I'm just sharing my experience. This was a problem for me as well back in 2019.

One also needs to consider the time of the Concord bus schedule. If you need to be at the airport at 7AM, the bus isn't going to help. From Augusta, you'll get to the airport at 9:25AM. From Bangor, you'll get to the airport at 11:25AM. On the way back, the earliest bus leaves the airport at 7:30AM. This sounds like your case because you're thinking about getting there the day before and sleep somewhere. What I did was rent a car one-way and left central Maine on my own schedule. You just need to compare the costs of (bus + shuttle + hotel + shuttle) vs (car rental + tolls + gas + return car + shuttle to the terminal)

On the way back, I took the bus because it was available and cheaper than the one-way car rental.

My only suggestion about your trip down to Boston is see if you can make it later in the day so that you can take the bus down and save on that 1 day of hotel. Balance that with the total travel time of course so you're not completely exhausting yourself. E.g. Wake up, eat, get to the bus stations (1 hour) + bus from central Maine to Boston (4-5 hours) + airport wait time (x hour) + plane ride (y hours) + getting to your other destination (z hours).

Also consider getting from your house to the bus stop. Can someone drop you off for free and pick you up or do you need to drive there yourself and park there for a daily fee.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:49 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,522,226 times
Have you considered that your flight out of Boston might get canceled or delayed? Do you have a friend or family member who could take you to the Boston airport and pick you up when you get back? If yes, you could pay them for their services. ... just a thought...

With all the fenagling you will go through, it might make more sense to fly out of Portland, Maine to a city offering a connecting out of the country flight. Then return to Portland, Maine. A friend recently flew out of Bangor (yes, Bangor) destination Japan. Maybe Boston is not the best departure airport for your situation.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-29-2022 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine