Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:50 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I can identify. I don't plan on moving for quite some time, but already tried to become a member of Eastport's Stage East Theater Co. Alas, 'tis not meant to be. They require you to have been involved in a production first.
I seriously cannot wait to see you on stage. One of the two things I miss about living near Bangor is easy access to shows. We love dinner theater, plays and other productions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I seriously cannot wait to see you on stage. One of the two things I miss about living near Bangor is easy access to shows. We love dinner theater, plays and other productions.
Gosh... no pressure to live up to those expectations.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:21 PM

129 posts, read 246,653 times
Stageeast membership requires a 5.00 donation and then interest in a production. Half of the people who are members aren't in productions and half of the people in productions aren't members. Bill Breuer of Louisville, who can be googled, is directing Bell, Book and Candle this summer. He's really good to work with. The spring production never got off the ground, so there's
a real need for energy.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 AM

78 posts, read 161,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
It's really quite simple. When you arrive in your new town, do not start your sentences with, "Back in (fill in name of previous town/state) we did things this way". That is the #1 sure fire way to alienate your new neighbors. Mainers like their State and don't want it to become NY or TX or anywhere else.

Get involved with community activities. The sooner people see you fitting in and helping out, the sooner you will lose your "from away" status.

Just be yourself, smile when you pass someone on the street or in the stores, say "hello" if it seems appropriate. You will be fine.
I have to agree here on this. If you can not forget where you came from or what it was like and not blend in to your new home then you will always be either "From AWAY" or a "GRANOLA" . Do not try and change the way folks live adapt to it You are making the choice to move here they are not forcing you to move here (unless your on the run or in the witness protection program) As the military taught me ädapt to your surrondings blend in and become a part of them do not stand out"
And as Ranger said GET RID OF YOUR OUT OF STATE PLATE ON DAY ONE

Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 AM

278 posts, read 699,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post

Just be yourself, smile when you pass someone on the street or in the stores, say "hello" if it seems appropriate. You will be fine.
What would be your advice about making eye contact? (This is a real question.)

Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
What would be your advice about making eye contact? (This is a real question.)
Around here ...yes...do it it! If you don't people think you're up to something. Though don't try too hard, after initial eye contact some people won't even look at you while they're talking to you.(Me)

Old 06-02-2008, 09:00 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I make eye contact with folks.

Obviously holding it too long seems to become offensive, but initially I think that all conversations start with eye contact. Intermittently through-out a conversation eye contact happens to re-affirm intent.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:10 AM

278 posts, read 699,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I make eye contact with folks.

Obviously holding it too long seems to become offensive, but initially I think that all conversations start with eye contact. Intermittently through-out a conversation eye contact happens to re-affirm intent.
I'm talking more about when you are just passing by them on a sidewalk (in the large cities) or on the wagon-wheel trails in the smaller towns.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:07 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amacop View Post
I have to agree here on this. If you can not forget where you came from or what it was like and not blend in to your new home then you will always be either "From AWAY" or a "GRANOLA" .
And if you're really lucky and move to a small town you can be a granola from away (Bangor, not even the same county! )like me. As long as you don't try to make everything into what you left behind it's good. No matter what, if you're not from there you're from away. Whether someone fits in is probably 99% up to themselves.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amacop View Post
And as Ranger said GET RID OF YOUR OUT OF STATE PLATE ON DAY ONE
I'm practically a California native by now. Lived here since '80. When I visit Maine(home) each year, I will sometimes rent a car. Last Thanksgiving, I rented a car in Boston with Alabama plates. Several of my relatives in Dover said that you will be ok with those plates. As long as the plates aren't from CA, MA, CT or NY, you should be ok. I thought that this was a "Plate-ist" remark but didn't question it too much. I haven't lived there for 40 years so I usually just go along with what they all tell me. Conform to the norm of where you're not from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine