Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:18 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Two for the price of one Peachie:

The new Cabelas is in Scarborough. It's just off the Maine Mall exit from the Pike. There are signs to direct you.

As to bicycle seats, Get a set of old handlebars with parallel handles. Sew some stout nylon material to them and you will have essentially a bench seat for your bicycle. It worked great for my wife several years ago.
Thanks for the note.
I thought "maybe" "northern Maine Land Man" had a Cabelas up his way.. which would be "a Monday drive".

Tami~peachie

Old 05-27-2008, 02:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I never looked at it that way.
You've never been into dirtbikes then.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
The new Cabelas is in Scarborough, on Payne Road (past jct of 114 going south).
They have satellite parking lots and everything right now...haven't been there but it looks pretty impressive.

The new bike rack is looking darned good to me.
Excellent! I wondered how quick they can be. I never asked when I was in freeport, because of me and the seat... so just browsed and left that part of the store.
I'm going to do a seach on the Avocet, and see more about it. I no that getting out doors and being active is so important and I would like to try something other then walking and hiking. My kids like the bike as much as DH so it would be nice to say.. " hey lets all go for a ride, with out the car."

Tami~peachie

Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
I really enjoy mtn biking...and the fitness pays dividends on the dirt bikes!

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-27-2008 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Copy right images removed.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:28 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
We used to have Vermont Cycleing Tours ride through town in the summer. Thank God they don't do that any more. There is nothing better than being stuck behind a string of cyclists on these narrow winding roads.

Now, having said that, I was thinking about getting a bike myself. Sometimes riding the old Honda 750 just isn't cheap enough.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:08 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
I'll be shipping one of my mtn bikes out to my girlfriend's place soon...I'll be spending a couple of weeks with her later in June and into July...I want to explore my riding options in and around Knox County.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-28-2008 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: deleted moderating issues.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
One of my mountain bikes now has a 30cc chainsaw motor on it and an automatic clutch. They call it a Saxonette. It goes about 14 mph and will run a week on a quart of gas!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Excellent! I wondered how quick they can be. I never asked when I was in freeport, because of me and the seat... so just browsed and left that part of the store.
I'm going to do a seach on the Avocet, and see more about it. I no that getting out doors and being active is so important and I would like to try something other then walking and hiking. My kids like the bike as much as DH so it would be nice to say.. " hey lets all go for a ride, with out the car."
Tami~peachie
Forgot to tell you - you might want to read this link:
Bicycle Saddles
Mr. Brown's site is often mentioned as a good all-round source of cycling info.
Good luck! If you have a good local bike shop they should be able to help fit you but I'd also look for a return policy if possible.

My hindquarters are still smarting from the weekend rides, but less as time goes on. I just toodle along on my hybrid bike, no stunting, no jumping (well, not intentionally). I'm using the saddle that came with my bike last year. If it doesn't get a lot better in a few weeks, I'll be shopping with you

Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
DH was supposed to go with his youngest son, a teacher in Scarborough, on the Trek Across Maine. His son called last night, and due to some unforeseen circumstances they won't be going this year. DH has been biking for a number of years now. A few years back (wow, time flies! must be about 10 years now!) he bought a hybrid bike from Bean's and loves it! Peachie I'll ask him about the seat

Maineah I laughed when I read the bicycles are for kids comment---now I know exactly why DH and I look the same age even though he's 13 years older! No one believes when they see him that he's old enough to have three grown sons-- one 31, one 29, and one 25!!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I still do find pleasure in roosting mud and rocks at bicycle babies when ever I see one on an ATV or real dirtbike trail.
That's awesome! Instead of letting people enjoy the same trails you do, you harass and possibly assault them.

I'm sure your attitude carries over to when you are driving your car and see a road cyclist pedaling down the road with their back to you. I bet you still find pleasure throwing something out the window at them or maybe even "buzzing them" and trying to brush them with your rear view mirror...good times!

Thank you for making up your mind that people who ride bikes are lower-class citizens than you....because of people like you I can worry about the day when (not IF the day ever comes) when I'm hit by a car while riding my bike.

But who cares right? I'm a lower-class citizen when I'm on my bike...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine