Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:04 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
lol....this is funny....this is akin to somebody saying "hey, I'm not a racist! I actually have a friend who is black!"

You have already demonstrated your intense hatred for cyclists and how it disgusts you that they have the nerve to use "your" motorcross, ATV and multi-use trails....so much so that the moderator had to cut you off from your tirade.

I'm happy to agree to disagree, but don't try to backpedal from what you said earlier and try to convince us now that you actually tolerate cyclists and their ways they choose to go about their recreation, as stupid and childish as you think they are....after all, some of your best friends are cyclists, right?
Not all cyclists ace. Tying racism in with disdain for mountain bikes on hiking trails is a bit of a stretch. I suppose you know someone who pedalled around the world?
I don't like the ones on my ATV and hiking trails. You have no idea what I hate or don't hate. Have you read all of my 1600 posts? I think not. I can back pedal all I want to with my shaft drive bicycle, no chain to fall off!

I will stand behind my statements that I believe cyclists pretending to play motocross or enduro on a bicycle are childish. They are. I don't like the spandex suits or lycra or whatever they are made of. Oh yeah and you can't talk about moderators in open posts here.

Last edited by Maineah; 05-29-2008 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
I'll take your side if your OHV trails specifically restrict cyclists and hikers, or if your hiking trails specifically restrict cyclists, but otherwise there's no basis for your complaints if they are designated as 'multi-use' trails.

The thing that sucks here in CO is we have all sorts of 'open space' that the Counties purchase, and then they close them all off to everything but hiking and running for the most part, and very little cycling, and zero motorized rec, so that means more conflicts among user groups on the few trails left to use around here...equestrians getting pissy with cyclists, hikers and cyclists getting pissy with equestrians, and equestrians, cyclists, and hikers getting pissy with OHVers.

Can't we all just get along??!!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:00 AM

oh yeah, to ride or hike in posted hunting areas during hunting season, especially rifle/muzzleloader seasons, is totally stupid...

obnoxious cyclists are also stupid...I stopped doing the big group rides out of Boulder because it's 100+ people with a 'race is ON' mentality, so they hog the entire lane, drift out over the yellow line, etc. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

One year, a passing motorist was so fed up that the pack didn't single-file it so he could get by, that he wildly accelerated around the bunch, got in front of them, slammed on his brakes, caused a big pileup, and was immediately surrounded by a group of pissed-off cyclists ready to kill him. Cooler heads prevailed and he got a nice fat ticket courtesy of the deputy, and since then the rides have gotten more 'civil', but the bad behavior is still out there.

It just boils down to more people competing for fewer recreational resources, unfortunately.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Not all cyclists ace. Tying racism in with disdain for mountain bikes on hiking trails is a bit of a stretch. I suppose you know someone who pedalled around the world?
I don't like the ones on my ATV and hiking trails. You have no idea what I hate or don't hate. Have you read all of my 1600 posts? I think not. I can back pedal all I want to with my shaft drive bicycle, no chain to fall off!

I will stand behind my statements that I believe cyclists pretending to play motocross or enduro on a bicycle are childish. They are. I don't like the spandex suits or lycra or whatever they are made of. Oh yeah and you can't talk about moderators in open posts here.
So you only respect those cyclists that have cycled around the world? I stand by my racism analogy because it fits here in a general sense. You dislike most/all of the certain demographic because of your experience with a few individuals from that group. Be it black people or cyclists.

By the way, I don't get where you think cyclists are trying to "pretend" to motorcross....ever cross your mind they are doing their own thing...i.e. mountain biking??? Yeah, I know mountain biking is an adaptation of motorcross so you don't have to bore me with that little factoid. I just can't figure out why you hate them...maybe because they get to go to the same places you do but can do it without the motor?

Yes, I get it....1600 posts...you are definitely the big fish in the small pond here. Should that give you a special right to pontificate and spew BS?

thanks for the tip about the moderators chief...I wasn't the one censured however....its obvious you read the rules of the forum....why don't you follow them then?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 AM

I'd love to have a downhill mtb...like the Santa Cruz V10. The ski resorts around here are getting into the whole 'terrain park' thing where they build these big wooden teeter totters, jumps, berms, etc...it looks like a damn good time!

I don't think any such thing exists at places like Sugarloaf or the Snow Bowl, but they'd sure attract some riders (i.e. money) if they offered something like that...just gotta make sure folks sign those insurance waivers...

Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I like the attitide of the North Maine Woods. You cannot bring in any type of motorcycle, atv, bicycle or anything else motorized or not. They make you unload them at the gate or turn around. That way no one bothers anyone and logging truckers don't have to worry about recreation seekers riding the roads.
*sigh......*
What is the point of starting threads on specific topics, anyway, if they keep getting hijacked?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
All of my biking is off road and as steep as we can find. What is sweet about this area are the discontinued county roads.
My favorite is in Milton Twp. It gradually climbs through Nature Conservancy land, past the old gold mine and into the Rumford Water District's property, which is on top of Mt. Zircon. Remember the soda?
The views are incredible and I'm real familiar with the terrain. Hunted this area since I was a kid. Down the backside leads to Concord Pond and on to West Peru.
Thanks very much, 7th Gen.
I'm not ready for steep climbs just yet, but this sounds beautiful and maybe I can make it on foot if the legs give out!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
*sigh......*
What is the point of starting threads on specific topics, anyway, if they keep getting hijacked?
Sorry Boomerang....you're right..... I think I've pounded my points flat at this point.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,424,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Hi everybody,

Took our bikes out for the first time (this year) today. We tried out the Eastern Trail in Scarborough.

On our way home we stopped in Brunswick and biked around town for awhile, just for fun. Pretty flat there and nice quiet side streets to enjoy.

Anyone have special places they like to go biking in Maine?
Pretty straight forward topic and one that members may have been interested in if this thread hadn't been hijacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine