Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 17,381 times

Advertisements

Hi. I just joined the forum, and I've been reading a lot of your posts. Everyone seems to have a great amount of information, and is very friendly and helpful.

I hope you can help me. I am out of college, doing research for a television pilot I'm writing. The show takes place in a small, warm New England town. Unfortunately, I began writing before I ever moved to New England (I'm from New York City). I just used memories from family vacations when I was younger. Originally, I had set the show in New Hampshire. But, after living in Manchester for about a year...I'm not too sure they have the small town New England atmosphere I'm looking to capture.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any small towns in Maine, that have a very classic, almost Robert Frost feel to them.

Also, I'm interested in finding out, if there are any towns that are politically open, or moderate. No one favors a Democrat or a Republican, but the most honest, thoughtful person for the job. (The show isn't about politics, but it does give me a sense of a community's values, etc.)

Also, could someone give me an idea about how accepted gays are in the state, especially in the state's smaller communities.

Thanks so much everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 05:32 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,014 times
Bridgeton, Monmouth, Winthrop, Livermore Falls, Dover-Foxcroft, Millinocket- any small town that isnt near Bangor and Away from Portland, Augusta and Lewiston. No where in York county either. The further north the better most likely. These towns are all inland, if you want ocean towns though I dont really know- probably the further up the coast the better. I am not sure of the political climate in any of these towns.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:21 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
Along the coast: Brunswick, Bath, Wiscasset, Damariscotta, Camden, Belfast, Castine. Belfast and Damariscotta are personal favorites.

BTW, what's your definition of "small town"?

As for attitudes toward gays, it's pretty much the same as for any other lifestyle choice — as long as someone's not "in your face" about it, no one much cares. Same applies to religious choices, politics, etc. Maine has seen its share of battles over gay rights in the past, mostly because most folks couldn't figure out what the big deal was — there was little or no discrimination against gays anyway, but there's an ingrained bias here against being told what to do.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM

14 posts, read 62,119 times
I agree with Coaster...couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 01-06-2007, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 17,322 times
The area I live in is very down to earth and small. I'd suggest Skowhegan, or Bingham.

And I disagree with Maine having no homosexual problems. I'm on a civil rights team and I hear awful stories about what happens to people all the time. Maine is a very racial and one sided state, we're like our own little world that doesn't catch up with the rest of the world on gays.

Here's a story to give you a clue: Two lesbian parterners last year went out together. They lived in a nice neighborhood on a quiet street but somehow people started ot know they were lesbians and began to find out where they lived. So that night when they were out they got a call from their neighbor saying they had to come home as soon as possible.

When they got back their other car had four popped tires, all the windows were smashed, and the paint was scratched with the word "****" in it. Then they saw that their door was smashed down and when they got inside the furniture was all cut up and pictures ripped, the windows were all broken all the wooden furniture was tipped snapped, and all over the walls was written vulger language. Everything else like the TV and computer were stolen. So I bet you'd guess some adult must've done this huh?

Actually it was two 14 year old boys, they did all of that because they thought it was wrong to be homosexual. What should've felt like asafe place for these two people now wasn't, and everything was ruined. Yeah, I'd say Maine has some problems.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,824 times
Well, now let's just wait a while. If I understand the question, it is where is a perfect, New England town that has the "warmth" of a previous time when everyone got along together, worked together and pointed no fingers at anyone, right?

Perhaps you should go somewhere else other than New England to find that nirvana. It is very certainly NOT in the small New England towns of the "good old days", and it mostly isn't in the small NEw England towns of today.

It can be said that for the most part, small townspeople in Maine are a relatively tolerant bunch. A bit standoffish to new comers, but here are so many new people who have moved here in retirement and for other reasons that the population in most of the southwestern parts of the state are homogenous enough to have lost most of the "traditional" small town intensity.

My observation is that the more wealthy small towns are likely to be more liberal toward people with alternative lifestyles, but make no mistake, seeing a black person is rare enough to be a surprise to a lot of people. I doubt that a black person would automatically face a barrage of negative recism, but certainly it does exist. And you need to also remember that we have native Americans who live on reservations in this state and are descriminated against by a very racist legislature.

Maine people are just like people from anywhere else. If you think that there is some small town in Maine that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy because you have fond memories of vacations when you were six, you will be sorely disappointed. As an adult, you will not find the protections granted to you by your parents, and reality is no more less ugly here, than in New York. A lot of people here are very, very nice. A lot of people here really wish to be left alone by people like you, and there are a lot of people who are really very, very mean. Just like human beings everywhere.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:16 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbloodi3h3artx View Post
The area I live in is very down to earth and small. I'd suggest Skowhegan, or Bingham.

SNIP about vandalism

Actually it was two 14 year old boys, they did all of that because they thought it was wrong to be homosexual. What should've felt like asafe place for these two people now wasn't, and everything was ruined. Yeah, I'd say Maine has some problems.
So you're using a single incident involving two stupid kids to condemn the entire state? How smart is that? And how long ago was it? There have been incidents in the past -- Charlie ??? in Bangor, for example, although there are still questions about the actual story behind that incident. But I work with and deal with gay people daily and all of them are here because Maine is more tolerant than the places they came from.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 12,957 times
Smile small maine towns

Brooklin is a great town. It is very small, quiet, and everybody knows everyone else. It's population is less than 900, so if you want something that small, brooklin is a good choice.

Another good choice would be Gardiner. 15 minutes from the states capital, and 45 minutes from the Portland Freeport shopping area. Gardiner has a great downtown area with stores and restaraunts. There are schools, and they have their own police/fire/ambulance departments. They have their own public library, and a water front. Gardiner sits on the Kennebec River, and is a unique town boasting A-1's diner, and Isamax snacks, as well as Moda Bella, and many other intriguing stores.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:19 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Unity, or Corinth, maybe Millinocket

Old 02-19-2007, 08:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
two thumbs up for coaster, acadialion and blood, also agree with mooref, gardiner is, or seems to be a-typical township in maine. i've lived in maine ,,all my life, have yet to see a gay guy, called a ***, fudgepacker, or *****, and have never witnessed any two lesbians being harrassed(i have lesbian tendencies, myself) i'm sure there are pockets of ignorance, in maine, just as there is everywhere, ignorance, breeds ignorance, however, most maine folk i know, come from hard working backgrounds, and mostly live by the golden rule, and want their kids to have better opportunities, than they did. however, as coaster stated, we are a tolerent bunch, but dont get in our faces, or shove any type of lifestyle down our throat.as for maine towns, if you are looking coastal, id suggest south bristol, a beautiful small fishing town between boothbay harbor and pemaquid, also, like gardiner, hallowell, is a nice quaint little maine town, with quite a historic past, being on the kennebec river, noted for granite, ice, and antiques, and hallowell, is quite the liberal town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine