Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Maine: college, graduate, degree, diploma, teachers.

View Poll Results: Do you think students should march in if they miss it by one credit?
Yes 12 52.17%
No 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:18 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
That's happens with summer school here too. And as a former teacher, it's very difficult to deal with because you know that these kids are getting behind and not getting what they need! grrr....
For sure. The following year, they said she had "fallen through the cracks". We said well, duh, who's fault is that?? We demanded, and got, her tested for learning disability and she passed with flying colors, like we knew she would. Fortunately, one of her teachers went to bat for her and helped us the whole way.
We found out later that alot of parents did not send their children to the middle school here, and it was easy to see why. She did excellent in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
I was actually allowed to graduate on time one credit short, but I was also in a different situation, I believe. Like Fly, I didn't really take high-school too seriously and played hooky on a daily basis. I went on like this all the way up to the beginning of the second semester of my senior year, where I was informed that I would not graduate because I was one credit short. Now, the school district that I was in had a policy that if you are 18, and not going to graduate on time, then that was it--you were out. I turned 18 two months prior to the end of the semester, so I was kind of screwed. The school was screwed, in a way, as well because like all public schools its amount of funding depended on the students performance, among other things.

So, I struck up a deal with one of the councilors that was basically to the affect that if I simply showed up to every class, everyday and not get any F's, then I would be allowed to graduate. That councilor actually poked his head into everyone of my classes on a daily basis for the rest of the semester.

Anyways, I agree with Fly that this kid should suck it up and deal with it, but I can also see that this event taking place in a small community would have a different social effect then it would if it was say, happening in Boston.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
I voted NO - and after reading everything am still unwilling to change.

I teach high school, and too often see students that are babied and pushed through the system. I am repeatedly told to change grades, regrade work, allow makeup, or assign less work for certain students. We now allows 6 weeks for students that fail classes to make-up the work to a passing grade. Consequences for not doing something are all but history. Many of these students are perfectly normal kids - they just don't put the effort in. Students have 4 years to earn credits to graduate. Our students ALL meet a couple times every year with guidance to review their progress.

I have 3 seniors that won't graduate without my fine art class. I hvae emailed parents, called, and given the students regular progress reports. At 18 years old - how much should I hold their hands? Shouldn't they start taking responsibility for themselves? Once they graduate, they will need to take care of themselves, so high school is a good place to start.

I don't believe they should march unless all requirements have been met. I feel it rewards them even though they didn't finish the work. I would rather see people complete a job before being recognized for doing the job.
Oh, I don't want anyone to pass highschool unless they earn it. I'm not saying that on my end.

This is simply allowing students who have been apart of school for at least 4 years the opportunity to attend this exercise with their classmates.

I just think it's a march in of a public display.

Some teachers don't give enough and some do all they can.
I have so many favorite teachers in highschool days because they loved their job and students were their job. We kids knew it too.

I'm thinking...If we are not allowing the students to march in simply as an excerise, will we be posting publicly the bad grade these students have.. or will we continue to leave it up to the town gossip groups to belittle everyone. That really concerns me the most. Not a great way to learn a lesson.

I just don't think that's a fair start considering these are children just the same. They can't make real wise decisions on everything, and education is something they are use to and don't consider a privledge.

Most people live with shame of a child that does a crime, but in small towns they also create a shameful untruth to children who can't make it simply with one class.
But I am gratful for all the input. Thank you everyone.

Tami~peachie

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 05-28-2008 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: added a note

Old 05-28-2008, 02:58 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
What put me where I am with this issue is that progress reports came out 2 weeks ago here in Calais. Amy, my senior in high school, brought home an F in english. No phone call home, no notes from the teacher, nothing. She needs senior english to graduate.
That’s disgraceful, I know our children are supposed to be young adults, and responsible, but how are they going to learn to care or be responsible when the teacher doesn't even take an interest in their education. The bottom line is Molly, any....ANY teacher that cares about a student, or is proactive in actually "teaching" would have told her she had this grade. I'd be livid!

When I was a police officer I had a case with a 14 year old girl that stole. I identified her but after talking with her mother learned she was "missing" and maybe staying with her father ............I'll try and make this short.

She was supposed to be at the HS. I went there and they 1st, couldn't tell me if she was there...they would only be able to dig up her class schedule and then call the teacher (no morning attendance)..........which they did and the teacher said she was not in class and didn't even know who she was. So about this time they "determined" she must be a student at the Jr. high (she never graduated forward: roll eyes

So I go to the Jr high and I basically go through the same thing....they dig out her schedule and contact the teacher and the teacher says...I haven't seen here in 2 weeks rolleyes:. So at this point they make their own determination that she must have finished her requirements for 8th grade and was sent to the HS (still nothing official) they say the HS should have a list.

back at the HS: eek: I inform them she is supposed to be there and she was sent there from the J.H. At this point I get "oh yeh, she must have been on the list of kids sent up here". So ultimately she tracks down the list and has me speak with the guidance counselor who basically tells me "she never came" and "at this point...if they don't want to be here we don't care".

True story!...I was shocked, not only at the obsolute incompetence, but the general lack of concern

Old 05-28-2008, 03:52 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
I need an "It depends" vote. If the school is at fault, yes. I don't think students should be punished for a mistake someone else made. In cases of learning disabilities, accident or illness, yes. Students who worked to their full potential but still didn't quite make it should be able to march. You can't ask more of anyone than to work to full potential. I expect full potential from students and faculty. When a teacher drops the ball the student shouldn't suffer.

Making sure they have what's required to graduate should be the student's responsibility. Of course the school and parents need to be on top of this too, but students need to learn how to manage what is expected of them. We all know going in what's required at the end of four years to earn a diploma. Determined students can earn the credits in three years. My oldest did but we wouldn't let her graduate early. She is intelligent and learns easily but she was still immature when she graduated with her class.

These are young adults going off into the world. I made the mistake of treating my oldest like a child rather than a young adult. As the parents of a "kid" we decided she should go to college. Had we treated her like a young adult we'd have been spared some wasted time and money. The guidance counselor chased seniors through the halls to get them to fill out this and send in that. If they can't handle filling out an application without three adults nagging them they most likely aren't ready for college. We nagged. We weren't paying attention. We aren't repeating this mistake with our other daughter.

If they've shirked responsibility then no, they shouldn't march. There needs to be consequences for poor decisions. Graduating high school is an earned reward not a social right.

I'm not big on caring what the community thinks about things that are none of their business. Shame of those people. SHAME on them. My parents were scared to death I'd embarrass them in our small community (and I did but it was after high school and a lot bigger than grades). What someone else thought (why were other people thinking about my grades anyway? someone else's grades are none of my business) was too important to my parents. People are going to think what they want to think regardless of right or wrong, fact or the fictional story they've created in their own nosy minds.

If everyone does their job and when reasonable exceptions are taken into consideration it's a non-issue.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:45 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times
In my HS and college, grades were not complete at graduation time. Pretty diploma holders were given out and the real ones were mailed later. I suspect that at least a few people got their "diplomas" without knowing whether they really got them.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
In my HS and college, grades were not complete at graduation time. Pretty diploma holders were given out and the real ones were mailed later. I suspect that at least a few people got their "diplomas" without knowing whether they really got them.
I have to think that when you go forward and shake hands with the principal and other dignitaries and receive your diploma in front of the community and peers and parents.....it should mean that you have satisfactorily completed that phase of your life.

If everyone "marches" regardless......why should next years students put forth the blood sweat and tears? I know there could be exceptions....and I am sure exceptions will and should be made to take special circumstances into consideration......but if someone bunked school, didnt do home work assignments, didnt bother to check their standing and if necessary seek help and guidance...and made minimal effort....I don't think they should graduate with those who did.

It makes a mockery of the kids who made the effort and were responsible. In most schools, the standards and expectations for "minimum adequate"a are already pretty low and if a kid doesn't meet them....it means that they weren't trying and they know it. Again.....there are exceptions; god bless the special ed kids who get to march, they put in the effort!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
I think it should be up to their peers. Let's face it, the only ones that should (might?) have an issue with allowing a non-graduate to participate in the graduating ceremony should be those who HAVE made sure that all of their t's were crossed and i's dotted- the actual graduates, and I think it should be up to them to decide. I don't mean on a case-by-case basis (ie- We'll let Joe march, but not Sara), but as a general rule, voted by the majority of the graduating class, and hopefully done in the early part of the school year.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:50 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have to think that when you go forward and shake hands with the principal and other dignitaries and receive your diploma in front of the community and peers and parents.....it should mean that you have satisfactorily completed that phase of your life.

If everyone "marches" regardless......why should next years students put forth the blood sweat and tears? I know there could be exceptions....and I am sure exceptions will and should be made to take special circumstances into consideration......but if someone bunked school, didnt do home work assignments, didnt bother to check their standing and if necessary seek help and guidance...and made minimal effort....I don't think they should graduate with those who did.

It makes a mockery of the kids who made the effort and were responsible. In most schools, the standards and expectations for "minimum adequate"a are already pretty low and if a kid doesn't meet them....it means that they weren't trying and they know it. Again.....there are exceptions; god bless the special ed kids who get to march, they put in the effort!!!
Elston, I agree with your post in this thread.

I did horrible my JR year. I earned only half the credits I should have. My guidance counsler made sure I knew that I was in jeaprody of not graduating.
I decided I didn't want to be the first person in my family to flunk out of high school, so I got my act together. I quit partying and started studying. I took a full schedule my senior year. That meant straight classes - no study hall, no lunch period. I also had to go to night school 3 nights a week my entire senior year. I busted my a$$ all year long (I also worked part time as well).
The reward at the end of that year was I EARNED the right to march with my class.
Several in my class did not earn the credits they needed to graduate. They did not march with our class. They either finished their credits at summer school and received a diploma in the mail, or they could march with the next graduating class.
I felt a little bad for my friends that were not allowed to be with us. My best friend (then as well as today) did not march. But hey, they could have put down the ole hash pipe and picked up a book and earned it the same as me.
I guess there are exceptions to every rule but for the most part I vote - no.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Elston, I agree with your post in this thread.

I did horrible my JR year. I earned only half the credits I should have. My guidance counsler made sure I knew that I was in jeaprody of not graduating.
I decided I didn't want to be the first person in my family to flunk out of high school, so I got my act together. I quit partying and started studying. ...
It sounds like you also had a great counselor who as active and envolved, and who spoke with the students.

I do not know if that is normal. It certainly was not my experience with public-funded school counselors. The school counselors when I went through HS certainly did not know very many of the students. When I was a senior none of my friends knew who their counselor was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine