Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 06:21 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Heat pumps are making great strides in how well they perform; I would not rule them out unless your thorough investigation reveals valid reasons to avoid them. We had a heat pump 30 years ago in the DC area and it worked fine in that climate. This article in the WaPo details the state of things.

Excerpts: "These heating and cooling systems, once considered useful only in warmer climates, have in the past few years become far more sophisticated. They are now the best chance we have to phase out fossil fuels as a means of heating and could set the stage for a climate policy revolution. ... A NY commission recently approved a plan to require all new houses built in the state after 2025 to use electric systems rather than those running on natural gas, oil or propane. ... Fifteen states and more than 100 cities have plans to encourage heat pump installation. The federal government is in on the strategy, too. The Inflation Reduction Act provides generous rebates and tax incentives for those who install the devices, and the Energy Department has dedicated $250 million to increase their production. ...

This web site talks about state efforts, to include Maine.

Excerpts: "... as of November 1, 2022, four states have explicitly called for electrification by setting time-bound heat pump deployment targets that together total well over 12 million new heat pumps by 2030:
- New York, Governor Hochul called for the retrofit of 2 million electrified or electrification-ready homes by 2030, which includes heat pumps, as well as all-electric new construction no later than 2027.
- California, Governor Newsom called for 3 million climate-friendly homes by 2030 and 7 million by 2035. He set a target of 6 million heat pumps to be deployed by 2030, with at least 50 percent of the funding to achieve these goals to be in historically marginalized and underserved communities.
- Massachusetts 2020 Decarbonization Roadmap calls for efficient electric heating in approximately 1 million homes and in 300 million square feet of commercial buildings by 2030.
- Maine, Governor Mills called for the installation of 100,000 high-performance heat pumps in the state’s homes and businesses by 2025, as well as funding commitments to help achieve the goal. Maine is making notable progress toward its commitment — just one year after the commitment, more than 28,000 high-efficiency heat pumps were installed.

This website talks about the financial help being provided by government incentives:

Excerpts: "For low-income households, the Inflation Reduction Act covers 100% of the cost of a heat pump, up to $8,000. For moderate-income households, it covers 50% of your heat pump costs, up to the same dollar limit. Homeowners can use a calculator — such as the one available from Rewiring America — to determine their eligibility. ... For those who exceed the income threshold for a rebate, there’s the option, starting Jan. 1, to take advantage of the nonbusiness energy property credit, commonly referred to as 25C, said Peter Downing, a principal with Marcum LLP who leads the accounting firm’s tax credits and incentives group. Homeowners can receive a 30% tax credit for home energy efficiency projects such as heat pumps. In a given year, they can get a credit of up to $2,000 for installing certain equipment such as a heat pump. This credit will expire after 2032, according to the Congressional Research Service.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 06:28 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Heat pumps are making great strides in how well they perform; I would not rule them out unless your thorough investigation reveals valid reasons to avoid them. We had a heat pump 30 years ago in the DC area and it worked fine in that climate. This article in the WaPo details the state of things.

Excerpts: "These heating and cooling systems, once considered useful only in warmer climates, have in the past few years become far more sophisticated. They are now the best chance we have to phase out fossil fuels as a means of heating and could set the stage for a climate policy revolution. ... A NY commission recently approved a plan to require all new houses built in the state after 2025 to use electric systems rather than those running on natural gas, oil or propane. ... Fifteen states and more than 100 cities have plans to encourage heat pump installation. The federal government is in on the strategy, too. The Inflation Reduction Act provides generous rebates and tax incentives for those who install the devices, and the Energy Department has dedicated $250 million to increase their production. ...

This web site talks about state efforts, to include Maine.

Excerpts: "... as of November 1, 2022, four states have explicitly called for electrification by setting time-bound heat pump deployment targets that together total well over 12 million new heat pumps by 2030:
- New York, Governor Hochul called for the retrofit of 2 million electrified or electrification-ready homes by 2030, which includes heat pumps, as well as all-electric new construction no later than 2027.
- California, Governor Newsom called for 3 million climate-friendly homes by 2030 and 7 million by 2035. He set a target of 6 million heat pumps to be deployed by 2030, with at least 50 percent of the funding to achieve these goals to be in historically marginalized and underserved communities.
- Massachusetts 2020 Decarbonization Roadmap calls for efficient electric heating in approximately 1 million homes and in 300 million square feet of commercial buildings by 2030.
- Maine, Governor Mills called for the installation of 100,000 high-performance heat pumps in the state’s homes and businesses by 2025, as well as funding commitments to help achieve the goal. Maine is making notable progress toward its commitment — just one year after the commitment, more than 28,000 high-efficiency heat pumps were installed.

This website talks about the financial help being provided by government incentives:

Excerpts: "For low-income households, the Inflation Reduction Act covers 100% of the cost of a heat pump, up to $8,000. For moderate-income households, it covers 50% of your heat pump costs, up to the same dollar limit. Homeowners can use a calculator — such as the one available from Rewiring America — to determine their eligibility. ... For those who exceed the income threshold for a rebate, there’s the option, starting Jan. 1, to take advantage of the nonbusiness energy property credit, commonly referred to as 25C, said Peter Downing, a principal with Marcum LLP who leads the accounting firm’s tax credits and incentives group. Homeowners can receive a 30% tax credit for home energy efficiency projects such as heat pumps. In a given year, they can get a credit of up to $2,000 for installing certain equipment such as a heat pump. This credit will expire after 2032, according to the Congressional Research Service.
It is not an issue of paying to get Heat-pumps installed. there is plenty enough tax-payer subsidy available to help get them installed.

Our issues are, once they are installed holy christ they consume a lot of power, which makes them too expensive to view as a primary heat source. Heat pumps are too expensive to operate.

Second, they are not capable of providing heat below -13F.

Old 01-07-2023, 05:44 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It is not an issue of paying to get Heat-pumps installed. there is plenty enough tax-payer subsidy available to help get them installed.

Our issues are, once they are installed holy christ they consume a lot of power, which makes them too expensive to view as a primary heat source. Heat pumps are too expensive to operate.

Second, they are not capable of providing heat below -13F.

What SEER rating do your mini splits have? I've seen them on the market with a SEER rating of 10 and also some with a SEER rating of 28. I have two installed with a SEER of 25. They are rated for up to -22F and I have never seen them not able to provide heat and I'm located in Northern Maine. Before I installed them, my primary source of heat was two pellet stoves. The last year I burned pellets, I went through 5 ton. I haven't burned a pellet in three years. The Mini Splits serve as the soul source of heat. During December through mid April, they add about $100 a month to my light bill. The rest of the year it is minimal what they add. An added bonus is during those couple weeks each summer when AC is needed, it's nice to be able to kick on the AC function. With mini-splits, you get what you pay for. Doing some research and getting the correct unit for each situation is necessary for sure, but bad mouthing the systems doesn't help others make their decisions. It's too bad your units are not working up to your expectations, but there are units out there that will heat a home in the Maine winter and it will be economically viable.

Old 01-07-2023, 06:26 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
What SEER rating do your mini splits have? I've seen them on the market with a SEER rating of 10 and also some with a SEER rating of 28. I have two installed with a SEER of 25. They are rated for up to -22F and I have never seen them not able to provide heat and I'm located in Northern Maine. Before I installed them, my primary source of heat was two pellet stoves. The last year I burned pellets, I went through 5 ton. I haven't burned a pellet in three years. The Mini Splits serve as the soul source of heat. During December through mid April, they add about $100 a month to my light bill. The rest of the year it is minimal what they add. An added bonus is during those couple weeks each summer when AC is needed, it's nice to be able to kick on the AC function. With mini-splits, you get what you pay for. Doing some research and getting the correct unit for each situation is necessary for sure, but bad mouthing the systems doesn't help others make their decisions. It's too bad your units are not working up to your expectations, but there are units out there that will heat a home in the Maine winter and it will be economically viable.
Our heatpumps are both Daikin ftxs15lvju, the website says it has a SEER rating of 20.6 and is capable of working down to -13F.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:32 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
I know several people who have either a wood stove or a pellet stove in their basement. Their oil furnace is used as a back up. One of them has oil furnace, pellet stove, and heat pump for added summer comfort/convenience of AC. One family used only electric baseboard heat for one winter and then had a wood stove installed because the electric cost was too high. A relative has a wood stove in the basement and an oil furnace (double flue chimney). One family has a wood cook stove in the kitchen and an oil furnace. There are options.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:34 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Deleted duplicate post

Old 01-07-2023, 04:55 PM

12,367 posts, read 9,473,336 times
For what it's worth, they do use cold climate heat pumps up into Canada, especially on new construction. Here's a page on heat pumps from Manitoba Hydro that projects significant operating savings versus oil or propane heating.
https://www.hydro.mb.ca/your_home/he...ce_heat_pumps/
...and they also have this cost comparison chart:
https://www.hydro.mb.ca/your_home/he...ting_costs.pdf

One thing that can affect efficiency in these systems is proper sizing. If the system is oversized, it will be less efficient, due to "short cycling". Oversizing is said to be much more common than undersizing.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-07-2023 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-14-2023, 07:49 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,417 times
I live in the same county you do. My experience differs from what some others have commented. I do not dispute their experience, I am merely stating my own experiences. I have two split vac heat pumps I am able to use 90% of the time. Downstairs I have a Jotul gas Franklin style stove. Upstairs I have a Rannai Gas heater. I use these in conjunction with a wood burning Jotul fireplace insert when its below 15 degrees. I am on a plan with EMEC and pay the same monthly fee which is reasonable compared to the rest of Maine from what I read in the news. In June, they review my usage and I usually get a rebate. Same with Tammaro with the propane.I have taken this house back to the studs and have used foam insulation everywhere I could. I have all new thermal paned glass and utilize every insulation product I could find. In regards to the two story wood stove set up, I went up to the Amish in Smyrna and purchased enough pipe to do my two story shop for around $1500 last year, and you guessed it I have a Jotul wood stove hooked up. I was working up there today in a toasty 70 degree environment. Keep in mind I have a sizable tract of land, own chainsaws, tractors, and a wood splitter. Some of these individuals around here sell firewood like its made out of unobtanium. Generally it is not cured or hardwood. It is getting harder for me to cut wood, but it keeps me moving. Your mileage may vary.

Old 01-25-2023, 02:00 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I live in a house built in 1885. I am the third owner. I heat with forced hot air. People here tend to stay where they are. They choose homes carefully. My home is on 107 acres and according to IP, Maine will grow a third of a cord per year per acre. That means I could cut about 33 cords a year and not diminish the resource. Trees lose out the competition with other trees and die due to lack of sunlight and nourishment. I can cut all the wood I need from standing dead wood. Of course I cut the ones that are already leaning first.

Be safe. There are inherent hazards in harvesting wood.

Old 01-27-2023, 09:11 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Thanks again for the posts. I will update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine