Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,076,250 times

Advertisements

The mill is powered almost exclusively with oil, unlike other mills that generate power with waste wood boilers, dams, and other means. Back when Great Northern Paper owned it, the company had a system of hydropower dams, but they were sold off years ago.

BTW, 400,000 barrels of oil at $130 a barrel is $52 million. And it was probably more than that even if it was just semi-refined bunker oil.

Wonder what the next shoe to drop will be as oil prices ripple through the economy.

From the AP, via Portland Press Herald:

MaineToday.com | News Update: Paper mill closing will leave 208 jobless

Paper mill closing will leave 208 jobless
By The Associated Press wire report May 29, 2008 05:43 PM

MILLINOCKET - Katahdin Paper Co. LLC says it's closing its Millinocket paper mill, putting about 208 people out of work.

Fraser Paper, which operates Katahdin's mills, cited high energy prices Thursday for the indefinite closure of the Millinocket mill effective on July 29.

Fraser CEO Peter Gordon says fuel costs have doubled over the past 12 months. Last year, the Millinocket mill consumed more than 400,000 barrels of oil.

Paper produced at the Millinocket mill is used in the magazine, catalog and retail-insert industries. Katahdin's East Millinocket mill, which produces paper used in telephone directories, is not affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,181,573 times
i hall'd alot of paper out of that mill over the years.i can remember when it was in full swing back in the 80's.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,094,903 times
Tragic news for too many mills and too many people this year.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,476,869 times
Oh, but we are not in a recession. I guess that is for the people who are millionaires.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,559,976 times
I bet The Nature Conservancy throws an office party tomorrow. They don't want the mills here and they don't want us here.

It has been a long slippery slope greased by the Big A debacle. Many owners have picked the mill clean and all that is left is the bones. I stood in that mill and watched the shipping crew applying Korean labels on Maine made paper while Bowater was buying an ultra-modern mill in Korea. Both our senators support the Kyoto Treaty concept that rewards companies for shutting down mills that produce C02 which we all exhale all day every day. The environmental industry wants the mills gone. They want us all gone.

NOW can we drill in ANWAR?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,181,573 times
they all want to turn this state into a vacation land for rich folk.remember when king was gov,and he said there wont be a stick of wood leaving the state of maine that hasent been prosest by maine workers in maine mills.i wonder how many people bought into that.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,432,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I bet The Nature Conservancy throws an office party tomorrow. They don't want the mills here and they don't want us here.
Sounds true enough! However...think about that. If the mills all go ("jobs") and the people all move out ("taxpayers"), who will be left to support the politicians? Who will pay the salary of the governor and his henchmen in Disgusta? Who will support the tiny bureaucrats in the tiny townships - the inspectors, secretaries, council members, school officials, and so forth? When the people leave, the money leaves.

Last I heard, the Nature Conservancy was not paying political salaries. If those salaries are threatened, The NC gets thrown out on its ear and the taxpayers get their regularly scheduled bills sent to them.

Opening ANWR is an excellent suggestion, which I have made many times. I get shouted down by folks who think "there isn't enough oil there to last us even a year!". ANWR is an abstraction. Nobody ever goes there, nobody ever sees it. You could drill for oil all day long there, and none of the anti crowd would even know it was being done.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,579 times
I was sorry to hear that on the news last night. It’s even sadder to imagine those people now having to try and find other work up there….I wonder how many will now have to move???

The fed’s do have an outstanding resource for people who lose their jobs in the mill’s as far as retraining and job placement. Any job loss in manufacturing (or at least all mills) is considered to be loss through outsourcing and entitles all the workers for retraining and replacement. I know an airline pilot that got ALL of his flight training paid for after losing his job…that’s like 40k.

On a positive note, quick segment last night discussed Portland Maine as being one of the top retirement prospects in the country for baby boomers.

Before we shrug it off.........Retired people bring money "into Maine’s economy" because their retirement income is usually coming from somewhere else. They use little to no services, they do need medical care which means a growth at least in that area but all in all they bring much more into a state then they take away.

And when they get old and sick they leave and go back home to be close to family.....ok, that was kind of classless

Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,794,331 times
The paper mills in Milinocket have been on life support for years having been shut down a couple of times and reopened. The one shutdown makes newspaper inserts, the mill in East Milinocket which makes telephone books is still open.

In the ever increasing use of the internet for info and Blackberry's etc, the paper mills are an industry having a tough time and their future doesn't look very bright. Surprised your not blaming Bill Gates or maybe Al Gore, he did invent the internet(:wink, for their demise.

The thing I can't figure out is why Milinocket has not embraced being the gateway to Baxter. Why has Milinocket not tried to attract business, light industry where a severly depressed housing market, a labor pool wanting to work and being in an amazing beautiful place with outdoor activities galore would make it a very attractive to companies to move in.

Even Plum Creek, the largest land owner of timberlands in the US and Maine have realized there is more money in tourists then harvesting timber by their continued attempt to build a huge developement in the Moosehead Lake/Greenville area.

All the environmental groups are fighting the proposal tooth and nail so if your against this developement your aligning yourself with the very groups your maligning.

Maine has been " vacationland " for many years. It is on the license plate. No one wants the state to depend soley on the tourist business tho.

There are new businesses moving into southern/mid-coast Maine, there needs to be more of an effort to attract companies to northern Maine.

I hope Milinocket can adjust and move forward so it once again becomes a thriving community. I think about the several SAC bases in the northeast that were closed in the last 15 years. When it happened it looked like a knockout blow for local community. Fast forward to the present and you would see how the communities affected turned things around.

Maine is facing that situation with the closing of the Brunswick base and I assume most are familiar with the fight to save the Portsmouth Naval Yard a few years ago.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:10 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,556,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
they all want to turn this state into a vacation land for rich folk.remember when king was gov,and he said there wont be a stick of wood leaving the state of maine that hasent been prosest by maine workers in maine mills.i wonder how many people bought into that.
Genghis King said that "No fish will leave Maine intact." or something to that effect, keeping fish processing jobs in Maine.

I've got some Carbon Credits here, if anybody wants some. I take PayPal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine