Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 10:59 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Standard antibiotics usually kill the infection, why would I take this instead of amoxicillin-clav?
Because many patients don't know they've contracted Lyme disease until it's already undermined their health to close to a debilitating degree. Combine that with the fact, that most doctors aren't trained to diagnose it--it's not on most doctors' radar at all--and suddenly, a preventive/protective vaccine sounds like a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 01:46 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because many patients don't know they've contracted Lyme disease until it's already undermined their health to close to a debilitating degree. Combine that with the fact, that most doctors aren't trained to diagnose it--it's not on most doctors' radar at all--and suddenly, a preventive/protective vaccine sounds like a good idea.
Adding to that, rural health care in Maine is dreadful. Many Mainers are limited to nurse practioners because we don't have enough medical doctors. I have nothing against NPs in general. The issue lies in a large number of people not understanding the limitations and not knowing there is better health care in other areas.

Old 04-26-2023, 03:49 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,424,940 times
I wouldn't trust fizer with cough drops.

Old 04-26-2023, 03:56 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
I'd love to have a Lyme vaccine. I've had Lyme, my significant other has had it, my sister had it... et al... Even two dogs, while they were on preventatives (have since changed brands).

Another relative has Chronic Lyme and has a resurgence at least one a year. I'm not sure i believe everyone is always cured by Doxycycline (given to me for a month), even if the bloodwork says so. And i was so sick while on it.

And we still find ticks on us all the time, even when we wear preventative.

My friend's son now has alpha-gal syndrome from a tick bite. Ticks are a ******.

Old 04-26-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Adding to that, rural health care in Maine is dreadful. Many Mainers are limited to nurse practioners because we don't have enough medical doctors. I have nothing against NPs in general. The issue lies in a large number of people not understanding the limitations and not knowing there is better health care in other areas.
Well, I wouldn't knock all NP's. An NP I had for years was one of the top two primary care docs I ever had. It really depends on the NP. The same goes for MD's; whether or not they're helpful at all really depends on the individual, and how seriously s/he takes his/her job and how seriously s/he takes the patients.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:28 PM

12,417 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Yes, you're right.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't knock all NP's. An NP I had for years was one of the top two primary care docs I ever had. It really depends on the NP. The same goes for MD's; whether or not they're helpful at all really depends on the individual, and how seriously s/he takes his/her job and how seriously s/he takes the patients.
Did I? I'm sure I said
Quote:
I have nothing against NPs in general.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Did I? I'm sure I said
You did, indeed. I stand corrected.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
You did, indeed. I stand corrected.
Thanks! I had one wonderful NP who worked with me rather than told me what I was going to do. Unfortunately, she moved away. She suggested therapeutic massage and chiropractic after I fell down a flight of stairs. She focused on helping me heal my long list of injuries and the trauma-induced disease that came with the fall.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:08 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,116 times
I had Lyme disease. I wish I had choice to use a vax. It has seriously impacted my life. If you don't want one fine. My body, my choice. Your mileage may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine