Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 01:13 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times

Advertisements

This is Moose Mania Days in Greenville, home of beautiful Moosehead Lake. This is the time of year we recognize the King of the North Woods. They organized a Togue Tournament with Ricky Craven this year, a week after the big craft fair.

From a recent issue of Yankee Magazine...

"The hottest destination, without doubt, is the town of Greenville, on the southern tip of aptly named Moosehead Lake, Maine's largest. If moose were automobiles, Greenville would be Detroit.

Maine's Moose Country - Yankee Magazine

Calendar...

Moosehead Lake Maine Events (http://mooseheadlake.org/calendar.php - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 01:33 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
They draw the moose lottery permits in about 10 days. Keeping our fingers crossed until then. This drawing always steers our fall hunts. If we get a permit between any of our hunting buddies the fall partridge trip becomes a moose hunt. I have drawn three such permits since 1985 the last time was 2003. We love a fall moose hunt. It's usually easy to bag one and there is penty of good "organic" meat for several families on one. I wish we could get a permit about every other year, we'd never have to buy beef again!
Greenville is a great town. If I buy a camp it will be in that area. My brother owned a camp in Little Squaw Township just a couple miles from Greenville Junction for many years. He sold it to buy a bigger home. We hated to see it go. With my last kid in college this fall I can see the light at the end of the tunnel again and soon another camp will become a possibility. We used to love cruising the lake with our 16 foot Corson boat (made in Maine) and 35 HP motor. We'd troll the mouth of the Moose river in Rockwood out to Kineo and back . Always good togue and salmon fishing in that area. Then we would pull up to MOM's Pizza's dock for a bite to eat and a couple of beers. Other times would find us cruising the old railroad bed between Greenville JCT and Shirley fishing the little streams along the way for nice pan fry size brookies. Evenings just at dark we would cruise the roads looking for moose or take a trip to the Lilly Bay dump and watch the bears. What a great time! I sure do miss Greenville!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
The moose lottery is an economic necessity in Maine to keep the moose population in check. For those drawn in the lottery it is their patriotic duty go out and shoot a moose. It's kind of like being drafted. I have been drawn twice so far and I proudly met the need.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:57 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The moose lottery is an economic necessity in Maine to keep the moose population in check. For those drawn in the lottery it is their patriotic duty go out and shoot a moose. It's kind of like being drafted. I have been drawn twice so far and I proudly met the need.
Hear Hear! I've met my calling thrice and will willingly track the beast again if drafted to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine